• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cavalier
    232 I6
    • May 27, 2015

Help Identifying 3 Components On My 79 Golden Eagle

Howdy, I'm David. I've got a 79 Cherokee Golden Eagle, and I'm trying to identify three things.

First: There are two tiny metal tubes coming up in the rear left side of my engine along the firewall. What are those? (See picture 1)

Second: Also on the rear left side of my engine near those little tubes, just at the base of what looks like a heater core coolant tube are these two little vacuum ports...almost looks like it might be a CTO. (Two black hoses are plugged into them; See picture 2)

Third: Last question: I seem to have no CTO on my thermostat housing, and a double CTO (three port) on the left front side. According to diagrams, only the California model should have a double CTO on the front left (mine is from Oregon, and doesn't have a VSD valve; so maybe it's not a Cal model?), and all should have some sort of CTO on the front right.

Any idea what's going on, here?

-DT

Last edited by cavalier; 05-12-2018, 05:45 PM.
  • kansasboy001
    232 I6
    • Nov 06, 2016

First pic: those are vent lines either from the tank that should go to the charcoal canister or vents from the tranny and tcase. I think those are the vents for the tranny and tcase. Nothing goes on them if that's the case.

Second pic:
    That is your egr cto. Should be in the front left according to tsm but it doesn't matter. Better vac line routing with it in the back.

Third pic: that is not a dual cto they have 5 ports. That is the spark cto which should be on any 1979. It should be on the thermostat housing according to tsm but again it doesn't matter. Top port should be manifold vac, middle to dist, bottom to ported vac.

I'd test both cto with a vacuum pump on inlet and a guage on output to check for leaks. If they don't hold vacuum replace them.
    1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Comment

• cavalier
      232 I6
      • May 27, 2015

Wow. Thank you so much!

Seems straightforward.

Time to get this baby cranking!

-DT

Comment

• Geminiroq
        258 I6
        • Apr 06, 2007

Hi guys....sorry....I dont mean to Highjack your thread but I have a question.

What is the part called in the second picture that the heater hose elbow and CTO plugs into?

Thank you...
        Last edited by Geminiroq; 05-13-2018, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• cavalier
          232 I6
          • May 27, 2015

Some sort of junction block. You should be able to find them at hardware stores.

-DT

Comment

• Geminiroq
            258 I6
            • Apr 06, 2007

Thank you....

Comment

Working...
            X