International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 07-15-2017, 11:33 PM
Gear Head

Slow wiper motor 87 GW

My wiper motor always has been slow. Seems like half speed of every wiper I've ever owned or used.

Are they just alway been slow or can it be rehabbed? Or any upgrades been known?

Don't think it will cut it in the winter rain here and I'd like to fix it, but thought I'd ask before I tear it out and get looking.

Thanks for anything.
87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
Old 07-16-2017, 09:09 PM
Gear Head

following out of curiosity...

Question: How do you like the EFI? Any lessons learned or suggestions?
Not sure if I will do it or not. thx
------------------------------------------------
Blog: My Jeep and Me
Old 07-17-2017, 09:52 AM

Mine was like this and I replaced the motor to no result. Do your wipers sometimes get stuck? If so you'll need new wiper arms. They can get bent over time and cause too much pressure on the motor
Old 07-17-2017, 11:29 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasboy001
Mine was like this and I replaced the motor to no result. Do your wipers sometimes get stuck? If so you'll need new wiper arms. They can get bent over time and cause too much pressure on the motor

You replaced with an OEM motor? Maybe they're just made to be slow.

If that's the case then maybe someone can recommend a good aftermarket replacement...

My wiper haven't gotten stuck at all. Just run very slow.
87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
Old 07-17-2017, 11:40 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudchiman
following out of curiosity...

Question: How do you like the EFI? Any lessons learned or suggestions?
Not sure if I will do it or not. thx

I really like it.

Would run you about $2500 for parts alone to do it just right. That includes new intake manifold and whole ignition system. I found that once I put the fitech on I had problems getting the tune just right because of outdated ignition stock parts and compatibility. Once I ruled out and replaced all stock ignition problems ( you can do cheaper alternatives ie: coil mod,460cap,distributor locks and phase) then the computer takes over and you can control timing and tuning with the handheld.

FCC isn't necessary unless you just want to look cool (who don't) and have some extra money to burn. An intank hi pressure pump will do just fine and 8-10x cheaper.

Even without the extras still works great and is a upgrade to the carburetor. I think I'll do my bug next.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:07 AM
Master Mechanic

Took the wiper motor apart on an 89 just to see what was going on in there. Cleaned it and greased it and nothing changed.

Never did get around to it but I was going to check the bushings the wipers rotated in. Seems thats a common area for friction.

Like everything on the FSJ I imagine the wiring is too small for the wiper motor.
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360
Old 07-18-2017, 08:46 PM
Grease Monkey

Is it getting full power at max speed?

Mine actually goes pretty fast at the full speed setting. It does shudder a bit at low speed, but it's never stopped. It works much better than my Dakota. I think I do need a new motor for that one. It has stopped on me at low/ intermittent speeds.

The other's
1987 Dodge Dakota LE 3.9,A999TF,3.90gears(Stored)
1994 GMC 'Burban L05-5.7,4L60E,3.73gears(DD)
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0,AW4,3.73gears(DD)178K
Old 10-09-2017, 12:21 AM
Gear Head

Well I took it out today.

Tested 11.9v to the motor. Seem like enough? It's a steady 11.9v. Should I be 12v+?

I noticed the motor mount is the ground itself for starters.

Moved wiper arms by hand seems somewhat tight but not too bad when I work the wipers by hand from the outside. The wiper arms are really up in the dash so did some lubing best I could by reaching up and just feeling around. Any access to the pivots and mechanism beside tearing out the dash?

I don't have anything to compare to to see if it's a good speed or not until I put it back together....
Old 10-09-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagWagon
Well I took it out today.

Tested 11.9v to the motor. Seem like enough? It's a steady 11.9v. Should I be 12v+?

11.9v is pretty much considered a discharged battery(11.86v). 12.06v is only 25% charged. At 11.9v that's enough to just tell you it's not frozen and turns but not optimally. A fully charged batt should read 12.6+v. Charge your battery and try again.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:02 AM

If you still have low voltage at motor even with a fully charged battery, then you have a problems in wiring. Poor connection somewhere. Don't assume it is in the hot side. Could also be a bad ground thru the motor mount (loose, corrosion, etc). I hate chasing a bad connection. Often everything looks good visually but something is wrong internally. You can verify this by bypassing all the wiring and running the motor (while installed) directly from a good battery.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:03 AM
Gear Head

I got 11.9v to my wiper motor plug and through it to my ground. Wiper motor seems to run slow. Is 11.9 enough to run it full speed?

Battery is fine.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD
If you still have low voltage at motor even with a fully charged battery, then you have a problems in wiring. Poor connection somewhere. Don't assume it is in the hot side. Could also be a bad ground thru the motor mount (loose, corrosion, etc). I hate chasing a bad connection. Often everything looks good visually but something is wrong internally. You can verify this by bypassing all the wiring and running the motor (while installed) directly from a good battery.

Yeah. I wired straight to battery too seems to run the same speed. I'll go check the voltage when I do that one too. I'm just more wondering if the 11.9 is too low to operate it. If it is I'll backtrace and find where I'm losing. I'm almost certain 11.9 is enough but I'm not electrician enough to know what a minimum current is to run the wiper motor properly.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:07 AM
out of order

Check voltage output @ ignition switch.
My ‘90 gained ~1v by replacing ignition switch.
Anything you test should have ~same voltage as battery.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Gear Head

Well I started the engine and checked at 14.6 while running so it gets juice.

I pulled the parts motor out and tested it too. Same speed Slow.

Manually worked wipers, nothing binding. Gets somewhat harder due to the pressure on the glass but nothing too noteworthy. Will claybar and rain-ex for some slickness.

Took cover off the motor and lubed gears.

Put back together. It's a little quieter but still slow. Guess I'll have to deal with it unless something comes up with another better idea.

It's not broken or anything just not up to speed as I'd like it to be when on high mode.

Couldn't find any access to the passenger side pivots without removing dash etc.... so I didn't. Any way to remove the wiper arms to get some lube around from the topside? Seems like something you can take apart easily but not so easy to put back together.....
Old 10-10-2017, 04:19 PM
out of order

have you tried removing or bypassing the module to see if it’s the cause?
never heard of a wiper motor problem on these that was actually a motor.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Gear Head

What's a module? Lol.

Guess I'll look it up. Where is it?
Old 10-11-2017, 08:12 AM
Grease Monkey

IDK a thing about the module.
My guess was "check your grounds" / clean them up.
It's not getting a good connection, either on the power side or the ground side.
Time to open a factory service manual (or wiring diagram from wherever) and find the crusty, dirty, frayed or half-broken connection.
As was said above - you should have more voltage getting to the motor and the ground connection needs to be able to pass as much current as the hot side.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:00 PM
out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagWagon
What's a module? Lol.

Guess I'll look it up. Where is it?

small black module behind driver’s side ac duct.
plugs on both ends, wiring can be unplugged from module then plugged into each other bypassing module.

It controls speed for intermittent wiper function. they can/do cause all kinds of weirdness with wipers.
xj’s use same one if it is bad, you won’t find one for a gw and if you do it’ll be stupid $. last i saw they were selling for ~$80.
Last one I pulled from JY was like $12 lol