Well that is about how things work...(now with pic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Billygoat
    304 AMC
    • Mar 16, 2004

Well that is about how things work...(now with pic)

Changing my windshield wipers and the arm slipped out of my hand when the blade come off, and thwak, I now have an impressive star/cracks in my windshield. {sigh}

well I guess it time for a trip to the salvage yard....
    Last edited by Billygoat; 06-26-2014, 11:15 AM.
  • Billygoat
    304 AMC
    • Mar 16, 2004

because we all like carnage pics....

Comment

• vacaisle
      snide. snarky. grease covered.
      • Mar 18, 2013

Awe man! That stinks.
      89 Grand Wagoneer
      145,000 miles, TFI, MSD 6a

Comment

• jdaniel83
        350 Buick
        • Sep 26, 2008

Sorry to see that. Don't feel too bad though. A while back I was trying to kill a fly that had been buzzing around in my GW all day and it finally landed on my windshield in front of me. I quickly but not harshly hit the windshield to try and squash it and sure enough cracked my windshield similar to the way yours is cracked.
        Last edited by jdaniel83; 06-27-2014, 12:08 AM.
        '89 GW; 4" Susp Lift on 32" Wild Country MTX; 360, HEI, Edelbrock Intake, Melling MTA-1 Cam, Summit 600 carb, 3.73 Gears

'70 Wagoneer; stock Buick Dauntless 350, TH400; 3.73 stock gears

'83 Wagoneer Limited; stock 360, 727, 3.31 gears.

Comment

• cst756
          258 I6
          • Sep 05, 2008

Story of my life. I seem to be unable to fix one thing with breaking something else in the process. The only thing I dont understand is way my wife gets mad about it.
          1983 Wagoneer
          360/727/229
          Running good!!!

Comment

• DarkMonohue
            Shakes hands with danger
            • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by Billygoat
            well I guess it time for a trip to the salvage yard....
            Have you priced a new one? Might be worth it to have someone else put new glass and rubber in, versus trying to find really good used glass, hoping you have a good gasket, and not destroying the gasket and/or glass in the process...
            '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
            High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
              Banned
              • Mar 01, 2009

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
              Have you priced a new one? Might be worth it to have someone else put new glass and rubber in, versus trying to find really good used glass, hoping you have a good gasket, and not destroying the gasket and/or glass in the process...
              X2. Post back with your results. I'm too lazy to call around to find FSJ glass and gaskets locally. If you find it at least that means someone makes them again and supplies glass shops. That's always good news.

Comment

• Chief Gunner
                327 Rambler
                • Mar 10, 2006

I replaced my windshield a little over a year ago. I found glass at the junk yard, I got it out easy enough. I bought a new gasket from BJ's off road. Once I was ready to put the glass in, I called an expert. He tried for a few hours but couldn't get it in. Turns out, the glass was too thick gor the gasket. Luckily, we had another Jeep we used for parts. Turns out the windshield on the parts jeep was the right thickness for the gasket I had. Moral of the story, it might be easier in the long run to have a glass guy come out and do it right the first time. I think a saved about $50 to $75 dollars, only beacuse the guy was cool enough to not charge me twice to put the glass in. He was weel within his right to do that if he wanted too, but he was cool about it. By the way, this isn't a hit on BJ's or anything, I never knew there two different sizes of thickness on the windshield.
                The War Wagon: 1986 GW- SOA/SF on 33X12.50's, 360/727/NP228, CS 144 Alt, OBA
                Wife's DD: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

My carbon foot print is bigger than your's.
                WWW.SOCALULTIMATE4X4.COM

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                  Banned
                  • Mar 01, 2009

Originally posted by Chief Gunner
                  I replaced my windshield a little over a year ago. I found glass at the junk yard, I got it out easy enough. I bought a new gasket from BJ's off road. Once I was ready to put the glass in, I called an expert. He tried for a few hours but couldn't get it in. Turns out, the glass was too thick gor the gasket. Luckily, we had another Jeep we used for parts. Turns out the windshield on the parts jeep was the right thickness for the gasket I had. Moral of the story, it might be easier in the long run to have a glass guy come out and do it right the first time. I think a saved about $50 to $75 dollars, only beacuse the guy was cool enough to not charge me twice to put the glass in. He was weel within his right to do that if he wanted too, but he was cool about it. By the way, this isn't a hit on BJ's or anything, I never knew there two different sizes of thickness on the windshield.
                  I didn't either until I tried to replace the cracked/faded windshield in my 76 Wag bodied 4-door J20. The junkyard windshield was about 40-50% thinner! So I hadda re-install the old glass and get a thicker "new" Windshield! Junkyard Windshield 2 worked great. My Dad and I got to be like FSJ Windshield installation experts doing three windshields in a couple weeks. It was a real easy operation by windshield op 3

The year when glass changed thickness I THINK was 1979. This includes door glass thickness.

And the other issue is, before 1979 I do not believe the windshields were glued to the rubber gasket...1979 and newer they seem to be...and you basically destroy the gasket to get the glass out.

Comment

• Tripwire
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jul 30, 2000

He is right - the aftermarket seals are a tad too long making reinstallation very difficult.

The most hassle free way to go is to let the glass company supply all the parts - then its their problem

also have a stiff drink ready - because when they yank the seal out of the body there is a 75% chance there is some nasty cancer in there - you may want to concider pulling the glass and seal yourself and fixing the cancer before the glass shop comes out

I almost passed out when I pulled out my glass
                    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                      Banned
                      • Mar 01, 2009

I hate rust. I was lucky though. Nothing there.

My buddy with the 73 J4000. He had to replace some of the pinch seam and surrounding cowl metal. Yikes. The guy doing the WS swap was a fab guy and a Jeep guy and our neighbor. Cool dude, even if he did crack the new WS putting it in.

Comment

• Jjkage84
                        327 Rambler
                        • May 18, 2011

Originally posted by cst756
                        Story of my life. I seem to be unable to fix one thing with breaking something else in the process...
                        Amen to that x2

I can't fix 1 thing without breaking 14 others! It's became an ongoing joke at the parts store, "Hey Joe, when we going to see this "Wagoneer" you supposedly own? We're all up here taking bets to see if it's even real or a figment of your imagination!" Not quite literally that bad, but... close.
                        1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=141075

www.youtube.com/JeepKage101

Keep Calm and Jeep On!

Comment

Working...
                        X