• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gallego156
    232 I6
    • Jul 10, 2009

Cerro Áspero Trail (Córdoba,Argentina)

Hi Guys, I hope you remember me. I recieved a warm welcome the first time I wrote here. This time I promised I´d show you some Argentine trails in a near future, so I am here again trying to show you, with some picks, videos and a couple of comments, a classic Argentine trail.
    It´s called The Cerro Áspero, and is located in the center of the country, in the heart of the Comechingones Sierras. The Comechingones sierra, runs from North to South, and divides The Córdoba and San Luis provinces, becoming lower and lower to the south, turning into the flat and wide region known as La Pampa, (Buenos Aires, Santa Fé, South of Córdoba and San Luis provinces together).
    This time 4 vehicles took part of the journey, Two Gladiators: A 70 one with its 230 Tornado a ZF 4 speed manual and Np205 , a 4.0 Cherokee sport and an Ika jeep with a 221 l6 Ford and original drivetrain.
    We´re all from Buenos Aires.
    We left from Buenos Aires on Thursday mornig to cover the about 500 miles to San Luis, there we spent the first night:

Next day we headed to our friend´s home to pick up him

Then we began to climb the first part of the snail-tipe paved road:

Then we reached "El Mirador", the road was closed because of ice, but after some prayers, the dudes of national roads let us pass.

Here a view from "El mirador", really you won´t see too much because of clouds, in a clear day, you can see the Merlo Village from the 5000 ft height.

As you´ll see, the water of the road began, slowly, to turn into ice and the rain into a light snowfall.

The Mother and her Daughter:

Here, a brake to take some photos, yet in the easy part:

some more in video:

Una vez que pudimos evitar el corte de ruta por parte de la policía de transto, abandonamos el mirador, y fuimos hacia el desvio, nustra proxima parada.

From here, we descended from 7300 ft to 5300, then up to 6000 ft again, and the last descent to 5000 ft to the nowadays non operative tungsten mine "Pueblo Escondido". This mine operated during the world war II and the trail we use today is what used to be a minig road.

Here a creek and a pine forest

We´re closer

Crossing axles

Inside the forest:

And trailing across it:

Aca les mostramos comofue pasar por el pinar, un hermoso día nevado.

Here out of the forest and beginning the last ascent:

The conditions made us go slower than we expected and the night surprised us in the trail:

Here in Pueblo Escondido mine, ready for dinner

The next morning:

The Breakfast:

The old hand operated mine fuel supplier:

Ready to go back, the bridge dont exist from some years ago.

Crossing the river:

Anibal y su Chero, empezando un día más relajado que el nevado.

The worst climb (Both Gladiators were resting comfy in the top from some moments ago they were always who leaded the group)

Small waterfall:

The forest the day after the snowfall:

Parking for lunch:

We´re in the easy road again. Congratulations folks!!!!!!!!!

And like always happens, the good don´t lasts too long, so, we must go back home, and the worst go back to work...

But with a very nice sunny day:

And that´s all folks...

I hope you like it. Salutations from the South Hemisphere
    El Galle.
    http://www.clubjeepgladiator.com.ar
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Nice pics. Thanks. Spent a little bit of time down there working couple years ago. Nice country, nice people. Only towns visited were Santa Cruz and Rio Grande. I worked a tug out of Punta Arenas, Chile but worked the Atlantic between the straits and Rio Grande.
    I don't miss the wind but miss the people.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• jaw knee
      258 I6
      • Oct 11, 2008

Great photos, looks like all had a fun time. thanks for sharing, it's nice to see how folks wheel around the world.
      I dig the photo where the Jeeps are lined up with the lights on.
      X- Forest Service, 1983 Cherokee 4 Door, 258, T-176, NP208, Dana 44, AMC 20, Stock.
      ----------------------------------------
      "Jeep is America's only real sports car!" - Enzo Ferrari

Comment

• BarryL
        327 Rambler
        • Aug 29, 2007

Those are beautiful pictures! Looks like a great group of folks.
        '84 Wag, 360, 727, 229, stock 177k

Comment

• men in black
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jul 08, 2006

Wow, great photos and videos

Thanks for sharing
          1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
          Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
          Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
          Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

• gallego156
            232 I6
            • Jul 10, 2009

Hi guys, thanks for your comments.

Joe: I knew Rio Grande yn the mid eighties, during my military services (It was mandatory). Ushuaia is nicer and very close to Rio Grande, it takes about 4 hours to the local buses to make the jouney. What´s your business Joe?
            Jaw knee, Barryl and men in black, It was really a nice trip. 4 wheeling joins people, I always find good friends out there.
            The same kind of people I found here. This site/forum is really different from others I´ve visited, you don´t make me feel a foreigner, your very similar to my club folks (By the way, you´re invited to visit our website/forum, the link is with my signature).
            Perhaps "Fullsize Jeepers" are the same kind of people all over the world.
            El Galle.

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by gallego156
              Hi guys, thanks for your comments.

Joe: I knew Rio Grande yn the mid eighties, during my military services (It was mandatory). Ushuaia is nicer and very close to Rio Grande, it takes about 4 hours to the local buses to make the jouney. What´s your business Joe?
              That trip I was working tug boat, normally run cargo boats. Total Ol Co. was installing 2 new production platforms we brought down from Mexico.
              Ushuia is on my list for a motorcycle trip destination when I retire. Only part I dread is the wind in Patagonia and TDF. Man it blows down there!
              joe
              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Carleysjeep
                350 Buick
                • Apr 06, 2009

Nices pics. Thanks for taking the time to post and share.
                Dan Rowe

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                I don't think an apology is needed. Most of us are pretty opinionated even when we are wrong.
                84 Wagoneer 4" lift 32x11.5
                77 J 20 Chevy 350 35x12.5
                89 Cherokee 3" lift 31x10.5

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                  Señor Jackhead
                  • Aug 21, 2002

Wow, thank you for sharing! It took a couple days of coming back here to see all your pix and I don't mind that at all!
                  Flint
                  Ran when parked.
                  http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                  88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                  76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                  http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• gallego156
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 10, 2009

Hi Joe, I thought your business were so, yhe main activity in the south is petroleum and mining. You´ll centanly enjoy a motorcycle trip over there, and it´s true The wind blows like hell

About the Cordoba trip, I´ve forgotten a detail: The white Cj, broke a driveline and I welded it making a serial connection with 3 batteries and an electric solder´s cables.

Here some pics a videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ikgj1zEjshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h84DIbZetKM
                    El Galle.

Comment

• Tad
                      • Nov 30, 2001

Very Nice!
                      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

Well done. Looks like a good time was had by all.
                        Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
                        Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

Working...
                        X