• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigRedChief
    350 Buick
    • Feb 27, 2005

Funky Gauge Problem

I've got an odd one that I haven't been able to find in searches. Initially I was going after the fuel gauge because it was showing empty all the time. The other gauges worked (or seem to at least).

I tested for resistance in the line from the sender. There was resistance there consistent with about 3/4 tank of gas. Okay so far.

I found a blown fuse that wasn't related. Still no issues.

I removed the fuel gauge thinking it might be bad. When I applied voltage from a nearly dead battery I have in the garage the needle started moving!

When I measure voltage at the temperature, oil pressure and fuel gauges without the engine running I see a very sporadic voltage. Sometimes it jumps to 10V, sometimes only 5, 7, etc... I don't have an analog gauge around so I'm seeing this on a digital meter.

I'm thinking this points to a bad constant voltage regulator in the temp gauge, but then why would the oil pressure and temp gauges be working okay? At least they don't appear to be jumpy and they read consistent from run to run.

Not the topic, but somebody should kick the guys @$$ that decided to run the 10Ga line to the DASH before the ALTERNATOR!! What the F*** was that about??? Yikes!
    1979 Cherokee Chief - SOLD.
    AMC 360 -TBI, TFI, TH400, QT, D44's
    BJ's 4" & ProComp ES3000's
    15x10 black steel wagon wheels & 33x12.5 Kumho Venture MTs
  • BigRedChief
    350 Buick
    • Feb 27, 2005

Anybody seen this? Am I on the right track? Should I just rip out the POS gauges and replace with autometers?

Comment

• Billy Bob
      232 I6
      • Apr 01, 2004

Have you checked the ground to the instrument cluster?
      89 YJ "Cujo"

Comment

• BigRedChief
        350 Buick
        • Feb 27, 2005

Yep, and it is good.

Comment

Working...