How to swap a Razor Grille onto a late model Waggy or Chero.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billyrb
    BJ's Off-Road
    • Aug 15, 2001

btw, like the addendum to the rig description in my sig?
    BJ's Off-Road
    [email protected]
    Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• Sitting Bull
      360 AMC
      • Sep 18, 2000

Nice...I've acturally got something in common with that statement. It seems my newly acquired Step-grandmother-in-law has a 67 Waggie she bought new. It died in the late 70's, and it's been sitting in her pasture ever since...no kidding. Haven't seen it yet, but the price is right (free), and it's 100% original. Should be an interesting trip this summer...
      Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.

Comment

• billyrb
        BJ's Off-Road
        • Aug 15, 2001

are you kidding me? That ROCKS!
        BJ's Off-Road
        [email protected]

Comment

• BIG BAD JON
          4-Wheel Drive Junky
          • Jan 20, 2002

TadSal sent me my grille. Dont know what model/year it was off of. Here is my list of parts used:

Razor Grille of unknown year or origin
          Headlights from 76 Wagoneer
          Headlight Buckets from 67 Gladiator
          Headlight Bezels painted black from 76 Wagoneer

I mounted the grille as normal across the top of the cowl, painted the bezels, swapped headlights and buckets, Attatched bezels at two mounting points pre-existing on grille and drilled holes and zip-tied the bottom of the bezels, drilled holes in the cowl to mount using pre-existing holes in grille, and laughed at how redneck rigged it is. [img]redface.gif[/img] Oh well, looks good. Look here-&gt; http://photos.yahoo.com/jonx4x4

[ February 18, 2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: BIG BAD JON ]
          FSJ-Less...

Comment

• Tad
            • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by BIG BAD JON:
            ...TadSal sent me my grille. Dont know what model/year it was off of...
            That was the original grill from my 1970 that got replace when MtnGoat gave me the newer razor off a late 70's Cherokee.
            2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
            EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
            Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• trickc
              304 AMC
              • Nov 29, 2000

Originally posted by billyrb:
              Guys, thanks for correcting me. The reason that I posted those concerns is because I have someone repairing a jeep that I am buying from them in a few weeks....it's a 67 wag. The front valance originally had a razor grille, but was toasted in a wreck. So, the front valance, grille, and radiator all had to be replaced. They used an early 80's wag for the donor parts, and those problems came up. I figured that was across the board, but I now see that it isn't. Maybe it applied to those specific years. Does anyone know if those changes occured when AMC switched from the 327 to the 350 or the 360?
              Hmmm...that 67 vaguely resembles the 67 in my garage....I used a 79 core support but Im also using a 79 hood that went with,once I get it all together I'll figure out the hood release situation But I think as long as the core support and hood are of the same flavor they'll work fine. It looks like the only mod was bending the hood release handle down to be accesible behind the razor rather than thru the old horizontal slat grill.
              73 j-4000 "buttercup"-SOA 36's 4 door cab

78 wagoneer choptop-SOA 36's, 6 point cage, blah blah blah

Comment

• BIGYELLOW78J10
                304 AMC
                • Jul 18, 2000

Wheres the part where yu start cussing cause the captive nuts on the grill aren't captive anymore? That has kept me from turning my old A/C condensor into a tranny cooler and replacing my razor with one I was gonna get out of a junk yard. Am I the only one with crapped out captive nuts? Man that line is screaming for some 5th grade humor.

Daniel
                78 J-10 Rumblin Wreck 2v 360 V-8 Qtrac TH400 Stock down to the rust Highway speed in about an Hour
                85 J-20 4v 360 V-8 Transplant w/ 30k Fresh Rebuilt 727 and a working 208!!! A/C might even work one day!

Comment

• Tad
                  • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by trickc:
                  ...I used a 79 core support but Im also using a 79 hood that went with,once I get it all together I'll figure out the hood release situation But I think as long as the core support and hood are of the same flavor they'll work fine. It looks like the only mod was bending the hood release handle down to be accesible behind the razor rather than thru the old horizontal slat grill...
                  The hood latch for my '70 was/is located between the horizontal space above the grill, the '68 out back is the same. It all bolted right onto the '85 hood inplace of that mechanism.

Are you talking about being able to release the latch by reaching through the verticals of the Razor?
                  That would be really nice. With the lift and 33's it's a very tight fit at a bad angle to get my hand in there to pop it open.
                  2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                  EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Comment

• trickc
                    304 AMC
                    • Nov 29, 2000

tad, I think its gonna work like that, I'll know more once I get the hood on. I do remember on my 79 chief I had swapped to a razor grill and had modified it where you could reach thru the verticals and pop the hood,its just been so long I don't remember what mods I did.
                    73 j-4000 "buttercup"-SOA 36's 4 door cab

78 wagoneer choptop-SOA 36's, 6 point cage, blah blah blah

Comment

• Tad
                      • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by trickc:
                      ...I think its gonna work like that, I'll know more once I get the hood on...
                      Sweet, take pic's if you can. I'm on vacation till Sunday and need to finish my fender trimming (clearance and rust removal) but I'll look at this also.
                      Thanks.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Comment

• billyrb
                        BJ's Off-Road
                        • Aug 15, 2001

I can't wait for pics of the swap!
                        BJ's Off-Road
                        [email protected]

Comment

• Sitting Bull
                          360 AMC
                          • Sep 18, 2000

Just moving topic...
                          Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.

Comment

Working...
                          X