• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheWeekendWagon
    232 I6
    • Jan 01, 2018

Horn Button Wiring Question

Hey everyone! Have a quick question about how the horn button is supposed to be wired up on my '90 GW. I couldn't find any photos to reference online.

The horn in my GW hasn't worked since I got it. Spent some time yesterday testing the horns and the relay and the all work. Eventually traced the problem back to the button on the steering wheel. It has the ground lead all set up but there is another terminal on the horn that had nothing connected to it. Used my test light to figure out that there is a contact inside of the broken white piece circled in the picture that is getting 12V with the key on. Stuck a piece of jumper wire in there and connected it to the horn button and boom, there's my problem.

Now the problem is, I can't see how to permanently connect a wire to that circled area and was hoping for pics of an in-tact one to see how it is supposed to be connected.

Thanks in advance!

1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    Rescue Project
  • 8man
    304 AMC
    • Jan 04, 2011

Your pin is broken off. There is a pin that goes into that plastic housing. You need to remove the plate on top of the column. There are write ups on how to do that. Then you remove a plastic plate under it, where the pin should be, and replace it with a new one that is complete. You can find the part on Ebay or at the parts store. You will need a couple of specialty tools. Check out YouTube for a video on "how to" and you will be set.
    79 Cherokee S (current project)
    82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• SummitJeep
      230 Tornado
      • Feb 05, 2017

I just removed my steering wheel and the same wire is completely missing. I am curious how your repair went and if you found the how to articles and videos. Thanks

Comment

• TheWeekendWagon
        232 I6
        • Jan 01, 2018

Originally posted by SummitJeep
        I just removed my steering wheel and the same wire is completely missing. I am curious how your repair went and if you found the how to articles and videos. Thanks
        I haven't gotten to it yet. I have the part, it just hasn't been high on my to-do list.
        1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
        Rescue Project

Comment

• TheWeekendWagon
          232 I6
          • Jan 01, 2018

Reviving an old thread! I finally got around to replacing the turn signal cancelling cam today but I am still missing the wire that inserts into it. Does anybody know where I can find one that works? Or knows what I need to make one? Or at least a photo of what it's supposed to look like? haha. I don't even know what to call that wire to search for it.

Thanks!
          1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
          Rescue Project

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

The Chevy ones are similar but too short. I extended a Chevy one by using sowing thread and fiber glass resin. Then I ran a drill bit through it and filed it to size. Its been working for several years.

Comment

Working...
            X