• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will e
    Always Broke
    • Nov 16, 2001

Watch that spring on your driver rear drum

When replacing my brake shoes on my 81 Wag (it pulled hard to one side). I noticed this problem and it was repeated when I put the new spring kit in. I will try to explain it:

There is a spring on the bottom of the assembly. It connects the bottom of the two shoes together along with that part that keeps the automatic adjuster in adjustment (the part with the star wheel).

Okay, on my truck the sping itself would lean against the star wheel and keep it from adjusting. This is why the truck pulled to one side, the brake never adjusted on the driver side. WHen I went to put the new spring kit on it did the same thing. It is only a problem on the driver side because on the pass side it connect on the back other side of the adjuster because the spring is shaped the same for both sides.

Some bending with a pair of pliars did the trick but it could easily go unnoticed.

That's my 2 cents worth.
    82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

• mtn goat
    304 AMC
    • Apr 30, 2001

I thought the springs had one leed longer then the other to avoid this. Could be wrong, its been a while since I did the brakes, but it sounds ringt.
    \'82 Cherokee WIDE TRACK<br />258/T176/NP208/D44/20 Rack of Tad, BIG Orange fender, funny blue hood!<br />I must go and tend to my molecules, they need me to grow big and strong...Polymer Power!!!!

Comment

• will e
      Always Broke
      • Nov 16, 2001

In the spring kit I bought the two springs were exactly the same. The old springs were exactly the same as each other and as the new springs. I tried to see if it could be mounted in a differnt way but no good. Maybe it is just me....
      82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Sitting Bull
        360 AMC
        • Sep 18, 2000

I had the EXACT same problem...drivers side only and everything. Methinks there must be something else going on...something tricky that we are not thinking about. The pass side and drivers side drums are the exact same (mirrored), and so are the springs...wonder what really makes the difference?
        Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.

Comment

• will e
          Always Broke
          • Nov 16, 2001

The springs in my kit were not mirrored. They were the same. This caused one of the springs to go in front of the plate that leans against the adjuster and the other to go behind it (can't remember which one was which). That's why mine rub.

Comment

• Iron Horse
            350 Buick
            • Jan 20, 2001

Originally posted by will e:
            The springs in my kit were not mirrored. They were the same. This caused one of the springs to go in front of the plate that leans against the adjuster and the other to go behind it (can't remember which one was which). That's why mine rub.
            Yes, both springs are the same, however it goes in there one way or another and it should not rub.

If I get ambitious I'll go pull my rim off and take a picture
            Andy<br /><br />Iron Horse: 1987 GW 360/TF727/NP229/D44\'s F/R,TFI upgrade, 35x12.5 MTR\'s, Rhino grill, no wood, & Rusty\'s 6\" lift.<br />~Soon to have:<br />More goodies than I have money for.

Comment

mine is doing the same thing
              85 gw 215k and still going
              castrated(de-wooded)360 2" espo springs 31x10.5
              89 gw,free,almost legal

She can dance a Cajun rhythm,Jump like a Willys in four wheel drive,

the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

"Our militarized "law enforcement" has become the standing army our founders feared"

Comment

• will e
                Always Broke
                • Nov 16, 2001

Andy, I tried a couple of ways but who knows....

I wonder if some 'cheaper' kits don't mirror the springs or maybe they just get them wrong at the factory. (Does Rusty sell these things?) Thats a joke folks...Just having some fun at Rusty's expense.

Comment

Working...
                X