Holley double pumpers make the best 2bbls!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

Holley double pumpers make the best 2bbls!

let me say this first, i have never had as much success with a 2bbl as with the MC 2150. for the street and mild offroad, it is sooo smooth, but when i had it up at some 60* angles or better it wood lean out on me. found the power valve at the bottom of the bowl became uncovered when at extreme angles of asscent.

so i swtiched over to holley 2bbls. same bolt pattern as the MC. the larger holley 4412 list # ran smooth, but mileage sucks, i nu that goin in, and the carb dint have all the vac fittings i wanted, what to do.

i was looking on the holley web site at the specs of my 2bbl when i noticed that the dimensions of my 2bbl are the same as the dimension as the front half of a holly 750 double pumper, hmmm. looked at the pics of a 750DP and it has all the proper vac fittings i need, but what to do with the second 2 bbls, i dont use em on the trail.

i saw the second bbls are actuated by a link connected to the throttle lever. what wood be the case if i removed that link? since i got a nice 4bbl manifold ready to install, thot i give it a try. first i have to get a 750DP.

looked on ebay and the ones that looked to have life still in em were too $$$, till i found one being sold cheap by a carb place from the E coast. they told me that a custom engine shop had ordered it for a customer and had the carb shop engrave the customers name on the carbs bowl, airhorn, metering blocks, everywhere, but then the engine shop canceled the order, saying they needed a bigger carb. the carb in question was a holley 650DP not a 750DP, the price for this nu, never used 650...180$

hmmm, 650 seems a tad small, but the price is great. so i bought it. got it today and removed that link i mentioned earlier, hooked up only one fuel bowl, connected all the vac fittings and it runs great, albeit not tested on the road yet, just in the back yard, i still have to install the tranny and QT, but thats a different post.

at idle the vac was lower than with the 2bbl, 22" 2bbl compared to 20" 4bbl. the 4bbl venturies being 1/8" smaller that the 2bbl, but throttle response is GREAT. smaller venturies give better mixture i suppose.
    Ken's:
    1966 Super Wagoneer
    5.7L 2BBl. Th700R4. NP-208. Opens. 3.31s. 4core. 4Discs. PS,PB,AC,CC,Cassette.
    (Soon to be TBI)
    "If it aint leaking, it's empty!"
  • Stuka
    • Jan 21, 2001

Smaller venturies increase the velocity at whichthe air fuel go through, which gives better low end torque and throttle responce.

This setup should work fine, except I think you may come against the same problem you did before on extreme angles.

Comment

• AzFrank aka Desertson
      258 I6
      • Apr 19, 2002

Heres my carb experiances.....
      Had stock MC2150 on my '79,Throttle body was wallowed out so.......bought a "re-manufactured" 2150 from AutoZone, ran good for about 3mo. then it started flooding like crazy,I re-built it,still flood. I had to put a check valve in just after fuel fillter to regulate gas flow.
      Buddy swaped me a Holly 2bbl 2300(500cfm if I'm correct) carb.His friend who rebuilt it put a solid screw in for the discharge nozzel so gas would not squirt down into intake the accelerater pump would get rock hard do to gas having no place to go, but it ran!!!!Got that fixed. Blew the power valve acouple of weeks ago,just rebuilt it last Saturday
      It running pretty **** good.
      I never had problems w/ the MC2150 while out wheeling,(and some of it was nasty)
      I've had 1 problems w/ the Holley 2300 while wheeling, it ran really rich above 3500ft. I had a hard time trying to leaning it out, but no problems w/ it at any angles so far.
      Just like F**Ds and Ch**vys, each has thier own faults.(poor design)
      Respect our Mother Earth,<br />Pack it in pack it out,<br />and Keep-A-Jeepin\'<br />My \'79 Cherokee motto<br />\"Old an slow and wanna be off road\"<br />Her name,Spirit of Arizona

Comment

• mechanic58
        232 I6
        • Aug 27, 2001

I like all kinds of carbs...but I must say that my stock 89' MC2150 got the best of me. I took it off last month, placed it on a stump and chopped it up with an axe.
        Matt Workman<br />[email protected]

Comment

• steven79
          304 AMC
          • Jul 25, 2001

i took my mc2150 off and went to the junk yard and pulled a mc2100 off a 79 ford ltd with 351c in it, rebuilt it and naver had a problem with it at all, steep trails no problem and i have gotten up to 16 mpg in it on the free way.
          Thor - 79 wag ltd <br />366,th400,Q trac d44 f/r 3.54<br />31x10.50x15 Good year at's
          I am not a dad,I am a domestic dictator

Comment

Working...
          X