• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DattMtn
    230 Tornado
    • Oct 24, 2017

Headlights dead, ammeter on the frits

My '74 Cherokee recently acquired an electrical issue in the headlights circuit. I have replaced the headlight switch as I thought it was the issue to no avail. The headlights and side markers are dimly flashing when the headlight switch is pulled. When the headlights are turned on the ammeter is bouncing all over the place too. All the other lights (brake and turn signals) still work. I unplugged the dimmer switch on the floor and the ammeter still goes wild when the headlight switch is engaged. Any idea where to start looking to troubleshoot this issue? There is no visible corrosion on any of the grounds and I have started to clean them up as precaution but nothing seems to be fixing this issue.

• letank
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jun 03, 2002

time to bypass the ammeter, disconnect battery, and reaching behind the dash -if you can- connect both ammeter wires to the same post for a quick test. Various mods are possible

check this

Michel
    74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
    85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• DattMtn
      230 Tornado
      • Oct 24, 2017

Nailed the issue

I found the ground wire from the ammeter to the dash ground was burnt out. It looked like the original approx. 16awg was melted and then the dash was grounding through the headlight circuit. The burnt out headlight switch was the symptom not the cause! I have replaced it with a 12awg fresh wire and soldered on the pin connector for the gauge clip. It was an easy fix once I found the culprit.

I did however break my bezel on the gauge cluster, I was lazy and instead of taking off dropping the column I forced it too much. Not too happy about that one but oh well.

Comment

• nograin
        304 AMC
        • Dec 19, 2000

Glad you found the real cause and fixed it.

Be aware that neither wire on an ammeter is a ground. Both are always hot. One side connects to the battery, and the other to distribution point and then onto the alternator.

With the engine off, all power comes through the ammeter to the distribution.
        With the engine running, power comes from the alternator (as long as its output voltage is higher than the battery's). If the battery is low, the ammeter will show charging.
        '85 Grand Wagoneer
        360 727auto, NP229
        body by beer (PO)
        carries wood inside
        no "wood" outside
        My other car is a fish

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by nograin
          Glad you found the real cause and fixed it.

Be aware that neither wire on an ammeter is a ground. Both are always hot. One side connects to the battery, and the other to distribution point and then onto the alternator.

With the engine off, all power comes through the ammeter to the distribution.
          With the engine running, power comes from the alternator (as long as its output voltage is higher than the battery's). If the battery is low, the ammeter will show charging.
          This. All vehicle current goes through the ammeter. That loop is 10 ga wire. Look here http://oljeep.com/edge_74_tsm.html trace through wire 12 and wire 55, both 10 ga.

Best solution IMO - Keep the distribution point, remove the ammeter, and run the alternator charge wire directly to the battery. Install a voltmeter.
          Last edited by tgreese; 12-04-2017, 12:12 PM.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• nograin
            304 AMC
            • Dec 19, 2000

I beg to differ on part of that. Once the battery is charged, no power should be flowing through the ammeter. It's got the potential (14.5 Volts), but no flow (0 amps) since there is no demand.
            When additional equipment is added to the battery post, its another story.
            '85 Grand Wagoneer
            360 727auto, NP229
            body by beer (PO)
            carries wood inside
            no "wood" outside
            My other car is a fish

Comment

• tgreese
              • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by nograin
              I beg to differ on part of that. Once the battery is charged, no power should be flowing through the ammeter. It's got the potential (14.5 Volts), but no flow (0 amps) since there is no demand.
              When additional equipment is added to the battery post, its another story.
              Yeah, that's true. The alternator will self-regulate so that it supplies everything needed for the car - then there's no current demand on the battery and no current through the ammeter. Equal potential on both ammeter posts.

Once the demand from starting is made up, the battery should not discharge again until there is more demand on the alternator than the engine speed can support. That's a fairly uncommon situation, ie when you are running a winch or welder, or when there is something wrong with the alternator or regulator.
              Tim Reese
              Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
              Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
              Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
              GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
              ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• mattparliament
                327 Rambler
                • May 13, 2004

Originally posted by DattMtn
                I found the ground wire from the ammeter to the dash ground was burnt out. It looked like the original approx. 16awg was melted and then the dash was grounding through the headlight circuit. The burnt out headlight switch was the symptom not the cause! I have replaced it with a 12awg fresh wire and soldered on the pin connector for the gauge clip. It was an easy fix once I found the culprit.

I did however break my bezel on the gauge cluster, I was lazy and instead of taking off dropping the column I forced it too much. Not too happy about that one but oh well.
                can you clarify what actual wire you fixed then if there isn't a ground from the ammeter?
                Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                1976 Cherokee 401 Quadratrac
                4" Rusty's Spring lift 31" tires
                All MSD ignition system
                EZ EFI status: Running Smooth!
                1999 Dakota Seats
                2000Tahoe Console
                Powertrax No-slip lunchbox rear locker
                Amp meter delete
                Two Wire 94Amp Alternator upgrade

Comment

Working...