• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wagoneerlover
    350 Buick
    • Jan 18, 2004

ranking of automotive parts places

Hello again fellow jeepers.

I constantly see threads where newbies and experienced alike ask questions about the reliability of the automotive parts suppliers and stores. Well here is your opportunity to sound off and give your thoughts on the chain stores and local stores (If local list location, state if possible). Hopefully this will help out some fellow jeepers out there.

High qaulity parts (Best you can get)
    BJ's offroad (in my experiences), napa

Good qaulity

average
    pep boys

Below average

advanced auto parts, auto zone (if you are going to purchase things here, replace them shortly with good stuff or only get the non a/z or advanced parts) Might get cheap parts here just to get home but I would replace them asap.

purchase at your own risk!!

The junkyard
    88 Grand wagoneer AMC 360 all stock
    89 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360 (Deceased)

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
    2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

All completed long ago (cannot remember when)
    1. TBI
    2. New fuel tank
    3. AW-4 Transmission
    4. Aluminum condensor
    5. Custom Gauge Panel
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

Not all NAPAs are the same because they are privately owned most cases. The NAPA in Montrose CO is owned by a guy I will not do business with. I think I would drive at least an extra 50 miles to buy parts from someone else.

The one in Cortez CO is primo though.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
      GRUMPY
      • Apr 10, 2001

DON'T FORGET ME!!! THE CONNAISSEUR OF FINER SHEET METAL PRODUCTS

Comment

• scantar
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 16, 2005

BJ's is a gimme

All the rest...that will depend on the help at the counter. Around here, AZ mostly sucks, Checker is OK and CarQuest has all the old school guys at the counter so CarQuest is where I usually go.

Pep Boys is only good if you need fancy plastic fake spinner hubcaps or Tweety Bird spare tire covers.
        '76 Waggy, TH400, Quadratrac and a fourOH!one Sold

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL

Comment

• Wagoneerlover
          350 Buick
          • Jan 18, 2004

yeah,

I agree with you on pep boys but the flinstones tie cover and the porky pig seat covers I have a great lol. In my experiences autozone and advanced have nothing but junk behind the counter that is re-manned in china/hong kong. The stuff is made with the absolute cheapest of materials and if you plan on it lasting long you definitely will seek parts from a different place.
          88 Grand wagoneer AMC 360 all stock
          89 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360 (Deceased)

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
          2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

All completed long ago (cannot remember when)
          1. TBI
          2. New fuel tank
          3. AW-4 Transmission
          4. Aluminum condensor
          5. Custom Gauge Panel

Comment

• FSJ Guy
            • Mar 20, 2005

The problem with chain stores (almost any chain) is that your mileage may vary TREMENDOUSLY.

I have gone to the same store at different times and have received entirely different experiences each time.

When I went to get my pitman arm puller, the clerk actually ask me "What are you pulling?"

Needless to say, he couldn't "find" it and I went to the store down the street.

BJ's Offroad has always been a pleasure to deal with. What I can't find locally, I buy there. And they have a LOT of stuff that I can't get locally.
            Ethan Brady
            1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• sdf1968
              232 I6
              • Aug 03, 2007

Great! Just when I thought I might settle on a parts store here in Montrose someone gives me reason to believe that is not a good idea. I would agree on the AZ stuff being junk. Checkers is still up in the air for me, not great but close to home. We have a Car Quest but every time I want something they have to order. Which leaves me with NAPA.

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
              Not all NAPAs are the same because they are privately owned most cases. The NAPA in Montrose CO is owned by a guy I will not do business with. I think I would drive at least an extra 50 miles to buy parts from someone else.

The one in Cortez CO is primo though.
              84 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/208 Gobs of lift 35" pro comp x at
              03 Jeep Liberty 6 cyl..whatever....but it gets a
              little better mileage.
              92 Dodge van to live in when my Jeep costs me so much I lose my house.

Comment

• Chrome
                Ph.D in Redneckology
                • Aug 30, 2002

One thing to remember when dealing with the chain stores Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, etc.. If you're not driving your Jeep then be sure to carry pics of the Jeep and a pic of the engine to prove to them that Full Size Jeeps and AMC engines are real.
                ..,=====,o00o
                //__l_l_,\____\,__
                l_---\_l__l---0
                lllllll0
                _(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___

1983 Cherokee Chief Laredo W/T 360/auto

1982 Cherokee Chief W/T 360/4 speed

I now have an official Muslim name...Ochroma Bin Polishin.

Click link for pics of restored Full Size Jeeps (on last page)
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/363842\

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                  Señor Jackhead
                  • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by sdf1968
                  Great! Just when I thought I might settle on a parts store here in Montrose someone gives me reason to believe that is not a good idea. I would agree on the AZ stuff being junk. Checkers is still up in the air for me, not great but close to home. We have a Car Quest but every time I want something they have to order. Which leaves me with NAPA.
                  It is totally up to you of course. This is just one man's experience and opinion. During the 2005 Ouray Invasion, I called NAPA and ordered a power steering high pressure hose for Krista's Wag because her's popped. I tried all the parts places and everyone was out (because some of our invasion members had already popped their hoses). They said it would be in at 8AM. Drove up the next morning with Paul (J10/J20 Project) and the hose that came in was not even close. We talked to the owner about a universal hose or some other option and he got really irratated with us. Before I knew what the heck was going on, he kicked us out of the store. So, he is on my $hit list. You'd think I would let go of this after 2.5 years but nope.
                  Flint
                  Ran when parked.
                  http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                  88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                  76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                  http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• misfittom138
                    350 Buick
                    • Dec 19, 2007

Originally posted by The Chrome-a-nator
                    One thing to remember when dealing with the chain stores Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, etc.. If you're not driving your Jeep then be sure to carry pics of the Jeep and a pic of the engine to prove to them that Full Size Jeeps and AMC engines are real.
                    LMAO!
                    81 Wagoneer 360/727/208, lockrite rear/welded front,4.10s, 7"SOA/shackle flip,3" body,OBA,37" Iroks,chopped,caged,highsteer,hydro assist....

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                      • Mar 20, 2005

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                      <snip> Before I knew what the heck was going on, he kicked us out of the store. So, he is on my $hit list. You'd think I would let go of this after 2.5 years but nope.
                      Some people in their wilder days got themselves kicked out of bars or strip joints.

Flint? Nope, he's STILL wild and instead gets himself kicked out of AUTO PARTS stores.

He's my hero!
                      Ethan Brady
                      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• mdill
                        Gone. Not Forgotten.
                        • Nov 22, 2000

Originally posted by Wagoneerlover
                        yeah,

I agree with you on pep boys but the flinstones tie cover and the porky pig seat covers I have a great lol. In my experiences autozone and advanced have nothing but junk behind the counter that is re-manned in china/hong kong. The stuff is made with the absolute cheapest of materials and if you plan on it lasting long you definitely will seek parts from a different place.
                        All the places are that way now (NAPA , CarQuest, AutoZone ...)
                        The good old names BorgWarner Sorenson, Nieoff ... are all the same company, and they supply all the stores with pretty much the same stuff but have both a high end and a price leader line. (Wells is just crap single line).
                        As far as help goes, none should be expected to know what the heck a 197X Jeep had in it, heck Jeep hardly knew what parts were going in the next batch. So it is up to you to findout dig around and know what you want and need.
                        NAPA's books think all 2 door fsj cherokees are wide traks, so be careful when ordering brake lines, one example of many, forget trying to get good data on emishions stuff all the parts house books are wrong or mixed up.

Mike D.
                        -----------------------------------------
                        Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                        1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                        1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                        1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                        1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                        And the other stuff that gets driven
                        ----------------------------------------

Comment

• Charlie_B
                          327 Rambler
                          • Dec 18, 2005

All we have in this small town is a Carquest, and a Napa. Every single time I go into Carquest, I have a bad experience. The guys are d**heads. I am lucky that one of the guys at Napa used to drive an early 80's Wag. But when he's not there, its like a deer in headlights behind the counter. Its the same story with my car. They all want to sell me regular lancer stuff. I start my part request off with "'05 Mitsu Lancer, then click on "Other," or "Dont Know." Yeah its the turbo one. Okay I need a...." Ive taken back several things that I found were not correct by the time I got said part off of the car.

I order online if I can wait.
                          '79 Cherokee "Goldie" - under the knife Part I; Part II
                          Currently: body is on, now finishing undercarriage
                          '92 Cherokee "Rusty" - 3" lift, 31s
                          '05 Evo MR "Eve"

Comment

• CustomWag
                            304 AMC
                            • Oct 10, 2005

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
                            Some people in their wilder days got themselves kicked out of bars or strip joints.

Flint? Nope, he's STILL wild and instead gets himself kicked out of AUTO PARTS stores.

He's my hero!
                            Thanks for the new sig line
                            Rick
                            84 Custom GW
                            360/727/208/d44f/AMC20r/3:31
                            Manual windows/locks/seats

Comment

• mdill
                              Gone. Not Forgotten.
                              • Nov 22, 2000

So what are we beating today

Originally posted by GEMOBX/77/401
                              DON'T FORGET ME!!! THE CONNAISSEUR OF FINER SHEET METAL PRODUCTS
                              -----------------------------------------
                              Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                              1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                              1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                              1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                              1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                              And the other stuff that gets driven
                              ----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X