• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scotty1998
    350 Buick
    • Apr 21, 2008

My Experience with using the 2150 GP Sorensen Rebuild Kit

Well, I rebuilt my 2150-3 last night using the GP Sorensen 96-437A rebuild kit. I bought it from Autozone for $23.99 and wasn't expecting much since the Borg Warner kit from Carquest was $53 and the Napa kit was. Hold on to your shorts... $80!

I have to say that I was pleasently surprised with what I got. Everything needed for a minor rebuild was in there and I'll try to list each item from memory so that some other poor soul looking for a kit will know what they're getting. I had no problems with any of the gaskets with fit or finish except for one. The gasket that fits between the carb bi-metal spring cap and the carb unloader housing was not cut to fit exactly like the old one. I'm sure that I could have make a razor modification to make it work but I said... eh, I'll just use the old one. No biggie.

What came in the kit (from memory) were the following.

1. All of the gaskets to do the rebuild - Most were an exact match. Some needed a little encouragement but with patience, all went in very well. These included:

Air cleaner gasket
    Cover gasket
    Venturi Cluster Gasket
    Choke Cover Gasket (this was the only one that didn't fit right)
    Poppet Valve Housing Gasket
    Aneroid Assembly Gasket
    Power Valve Cover Gasket
    Power Valve Gasket/Seal
    Choke Housing Gasket
    Venturi Nozzle Screw Gasket
    The carb to insulator plate gasket
    It also comes with what I believe is probably meant to be an insulator plate. It's basically the same shape as the OEM phenyl plastic one on the intake manifold but it's made out of foam gasket material. I didn't use it because I wanted something a little more robust being the foundation for my carb.

The kit also included:

2. A float rebuild kit which included a needle valve retainer spring, needle valve, needle valve hanger, brass seat and seat o-seal.

3. A pump diaphragm, and red rubber reed/check valve

4. Two Stage Power Valve

5. A check ball

6. Assorted screws and new e-clips

7. A ruler to set the bowl float

Now obviously, this is a kit made for a multitude of vehicles so there are a few components in there that aren't used for the AMC application. The thing I question most in this category was that the kit included a new check ball weight rod but it was not the correct size for the 2150. I just used the old one.

Finally, the kit does not include the following:

1. Any of the carb springs including, pump diaphragm return spring, idle mix springs, or poppet valve spring.

2. Float

3. Intake manifold to insulator plate gasket. See comment 4 below. If you use the foam version of the plate included with the kit, you wouldn't need this gasket anyway.

4. An OEM insulator plate. As mentioned above, it has something that's similar but not quite an identical piece. You decide whether you want to use it.

5. Poppet assembly components including valve, seat or cage

6. Any of the jet dirt screens. I believe this carb has two.

All in all for the price, I thought this was a very good kit. I can't attest to what comes in the more expensive kits and can only surmise that maybe you're getting things like an OEM plastic insulator plate and springs or maybe a float. But if you are satisifed with the condition of these items in the first place, I'd say go with the Sorensen.

Needless to say, I installed the carb last night and the Jeep fired right up. It now sounds like race car.

Good luck!
    Last edited by scotty1998; 02-25-2009, 11:34 AM.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    Stock Everything
    AMC 360, 2-BBL Motorcraft

• shackwrrr
    360 AMC
    • Mar 04, 2006

I bought the same kit but I didnt have a carb part number so I just said something like 88 wag when I got it. Mine came with a insulator.

oh I had to get a powervalve one time and I called napa they said they wanted something like 60 dollars just for the power valve
    Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• ironroad29
      360 AMC
      • Nov 12, 2000

yea i used that kit for my 2100 i installed on the 73, nice kit with all the gaskets you could ever need . runs much better.
      Looking for a j truck in VA.
      1977 impala coupe lt1 swap in progress
      2004 crown vic LX sport
      1997 2 door Tahoe sport
      preparing for a bleak future...

Comment

• scotty1998
        350 Buick
        • Apr 21, 2008

Well, I guess I should clarify. They do have something that resembles the insulator plate in the kit except that it's a little thinner and made out of the same foamy gaskety stuff as the upper plate seal to the carb. It was probably meant to be the plate and because it was foamy, it wouldn't have needed a second seal to the manifold. I've edited my original post to state this.

I guess I'd just rather have something more robust underneath like the phenyl plastic plate that's OEM so I just reused mine.

On the side, I would never dispute the fact that NAPA reigns surpreme when it comes to quality stuff but they are way over priced. Everything I've read or heard from other people indicate they carry basically the same Borg Warner kits that come from Carquest at $30 more. They're weird though. Some products are only moderately overpriced, others, like that power valve you mentioned are astronomical. That power valve really shouldn't be more than a few dollars by itself. I think they overcharge you for it, 1) for a convenience fee, 2)because it's from NAPA
        Last edited by scotty1998; 02-25-2009, 11:35 AM.
        1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
        Stock Everything
        AMC 360, 2-BBL Motorcraft

Comment

• BarryL
          327 Rambler
          • Aug 29, 2007

I used the same kit from autozone last year. Everything fit perfectly, all the parts needed were included. I bought a float seperately and installed just in case. Works fine.
          '84 Wag, 360, 727, 229, stock 177k

Comment

Working...
          X