• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KillyMcGee
    232 I6
    • Aug 26, 2019

But where do these lines need to go?

I have 2 rubber lines that come up from the back of the intake that were cut off by the previous owner. They go to a hard line that appears to go back to the gas tank. I assume these are just fuel tank vents but don't know where they need to go.
    85 and 86 GWs
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

What year/model FSJ? What engine?
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

yes 2 tank vent lines...
      hoses T together going to charcoal canister
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• KillyMcGee
        232 I6
        • Aug 26, 2019

Originally posted by babywag
        yes 2 tank vent lines...
        hoses T together going to charcoal canister
        85 GW, and if they charcoal canister is gone along with the air pump, the lines from the exhaust manifold to the intake etc?

When I got the truck what little vacuum lines that were left had been plugged with roofing nails. 4WD didn't work because it was routed to ported vacuum, all thermal/temp vacuum switches are completely free of vacuum lines (besides capped off ones).
        85 and 86 GWs

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

With no smog/emission junk. Coming directly from the manifold you'll need at least a dedicated line to feed the vac reservoir ball that runs the tcase 2wd/4wd function and the heat/def doors. Another for the PB booster, another for the cruise control.
          joe

Comment

• KillyMcGee
            232 I6
            • Aug 26, 2019

Originally posted by joe
            With no smog/emission junk. Coming directly from the manifold you'll need at least a dedicated line to feed the vac reservoir ball that runs the tcase 2wd/4wd function and the heat/def doors. Another for the PB booster, another for the cruise control.
            I do have a line to my vac ball. 4wd and cruise both work. so does PB booster. Distributor ran to ported vacuum.

At this point I'm just not sure where to run my vents. The 2 lines from the gas tank, and I think I'm supposed to have vents for the diffs. Any others? And do they just need to be vented to atmosphere?
            85 and 86 GWs

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

Differentials and gearboxes are vented to atmosphere. Run the vent hoses up high and dry and bend/mount the ends over to form an upside-down "J" to keep dirt and water from entering.
              joe

Comment

• KillyMcGee
                232 I6
                • Aug 26, 2019

Originally posted by joe
                Differentials and gearboxes are vented to atmosphere. Run the vent hoses up high and dry and bend/mount the ends over to form an upside-down "J" to keep dirt and water from entering.
                There a transfercase vent too?

What about the gas tank vent. I traced it out when doing my exhaust, and ignorant but overly cautious me though if this is gas tank fumes I don't want it venting just opening near my engine. Thanks for the info and help so far
                85 and 86 GWs

Comment

• joe
                  • Apr 28, 2000

Your orig tank vent ran to the charcoal/evap can in the eng bay. If not running the can mount it high and dry on the firewall. Or you can terminate it closer to the tank under the wag. You don't need a hughe vent hose. 1/8"ID is plenty big. Before the evap can days the tank was just vented via a vented gas cap.
                  joe

Comment

• ZackN920
                    350 Buick
                    • Nov 18, 2015

A vapor/charcoal canister doesn't suck any power from the engine, I don't understand why people take these things off... If I were you, i'd find another canister in the junkyard that would fit in the engine bay (if your lucky, there could be a GW to take one from) and put it back in the system. It will contain the vapors and if you attach it following the diagram on the core support, it should be able to consume those vapors as well. (the engine suck's em' up when running)
                    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                    Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                    ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• tgreese
                      • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by ZackN920
                      A vapor/charcoal canister doesn't suck any power from the engine, I don't understand why people take these things off...
                      Yeah, likely acting on their ignorance. Vapor recovery has practical benefits without any loss of power or drivability, and near zero maintenance requirements.
                      Tim Reese
                      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
                      X