• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dirtfarmer
    232 I6
    • Aug 14, 2012

If it is loctite'd in you will need heat to release it
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• FSJ-Earl
      304 AMC
      • May 02, 2003

Drilling these are a PITA as they are hardened bolts. Angle grinder to make to flat spots in the sides and then use a BIG pipe or adjustable wrench to get them off. The heat from grining helps break the bond of corrosion and the factory lock tight. Anyway that you do these, they are NOT fun.
      FSJ-Earl
      2002 F350 Diesel - tow rig / family hauler
      2008 4 door JK Rubicon - Wife's Daily Driver
      1989 GW - the one that started it all
      1983 - J15 - J10 body + J20 running gear = J15 Trail rig

Comment

• serehill
        Gone,Never Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2009

yeah you can't drill them

T 47 is the correct one. I took a grinder to some my son jacked on his mustang doing the same thing. I flattened a hexagonal configuration & used a socket & breaker bar to remove they are very tight regardless of heat.
        I've actually been able to use a T47 after one was stripped to get it out unless it was mangled.
        I've also flattened 2 side & used a 36 inch pipe wrench. Bunches have used the wrong size including me. The right quality socket & a breaker bar is the facto way to remove. You can put tons of pressure on them. I never had any luck with the Hammer impact tools. An electric impact may work but I have always used a breaker bar & T 47. 1/2" drive No Harbor freight stuff.
        I've broken sockets & stripped bolts learning the hard way.
        The bolts are hardened so drilling is going to destroy some bits & still get you in worse trouble. It will remove the only hope you have in getting it out when you drill off the head. Don't drill the heads off this is an absolute last resort. This will just make them harder to get out.

Edit
        I didn't see FSJ-EARLS post I agree but use a pipe wrench cresent is a waste.
        Last edited by serehill; 03-02-2013, 01:44 PM.

80 Cherokee
        360 ci 727 with
        Comp cams 270 h
        NP208
        Edlebrock performer intake
        Holley 4180
        Msd total multi spark.
        4" rusty's springs
        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• grandjeeper
          232 I6
          • Mar 06, 2008

Originally posted by serehill
          The bolts are hardened so drill is going to destroy some bits & still get you in worse trouble. it will remove the only hope you have in getting it out when you drill off the head. Don't drill the heads off this is an absolute last resort. this will just make them harder to get out.
          A carbide bit will make short work of drilling through the bolts (if you need to).

I had had all else fail, and finally drilled it out and Heli-Coiled it back to 7/16-20.
          1962 Willys Station Wagon
          1989 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• csuengr
            327 Rambler
            • Jan 19, 2011

I was lucky. The ones in my 77' Cherokee came right out using just a 3/8" ratchet.
            If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

Comment

• serehill
              Gone,Never Forgotten.
              • Nov 22, 2009

Yeah NO

Originally posted by goldhammer
              Actually a T-50. Never ran across a 47, 45 and 50, yes, 27 yes.
              Really Seek the truth:

Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.

80 Cherokee
              360 ci 727 with
              Comp cams 270 h
              NP208
              Edlebrock performer intake
              Holley 4180
              Msd total multi spark.
              4" rusty's springs
              Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

Working...
              X