International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-05-2014, 02:10 PM

Yellow switch on dash?

Hey everyone, so I've been working on getting a '79 J20 shipshape, and the wiring has been giving me all sorts of trouble. There is a yellow pull switch located on the lower left of the steering wheel (next to the horn and driver side foot vent) which seems like it might not be stock. It has had no apparent purpose until I pulled it yesterday, which caused it to turn on the drivers side footwell/courtesy light. The problem is that now that light doesn't come on with the other interior lights. The yellow switch will turn it on, and the AC fan dial turns it on instead of the fan. Also the radio no longer saves presets when the ignition is turned off. I think this is probably the result of some shoddy wiring on the part of the PO, so if someone could let me know if that yellow switch is supposed to be there or not and what it might do that would be phenomenal.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Creek
(next to the horn and driver side foot vent)

well,your horn is not on the wheel either so you have creative wiring going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 03-05-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristow
well,your horn is not on the wheel either so you have creative wiring going on.
x2
Don'tcha just love PO's and their "improvements?
Old 03-05-2014, 02:45 PM
snide. snarky. grease covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
x2
Don'tcha just love PO's and their "improvements?
I put my horn button on the outside of the truck so if I hit somebody it goes off automatically.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Grease Monkey

This reminds me of an f150 I had. The horn button fell off so I tek screwed a push button from the auto parts store right to the steering wheel where the factory button fell off.
1978 wagoneer, jasper 360 performer intake holley 600,700r4, twinstick dana 300, dana 44s with 4.10s and Yukon zip locker, York oba, 4" rusty's spring lift, 33x10.50 km2, ramsey ford front bumper with worm drive ramsey winch, 4" pipe air tank rear bumper with spare tire swing out.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

yeah

You can only dig into it. There's several things at issue no doubt maybe a blown fuse. There are 2 + wires that go to the radio one is a hot all the time for memory & the other is from the ignition to turn it on & off. It's a matter of tracing it all out. We could all guess until next year.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:20 PM

Wow, Please don't take this the wrong way but I do not envy you. My painless wiring harness that I have to get to work with the Howell EFI harness now doesn't seem so bad.

GOOD LUCK! I'd buy you a beer for your misery if you were closer

And the only one anybody here cares about:

Huntin Rig/ Mild Trail Rig: 1973(must be late because it has all 74 parts) Jeep J10, 360/t18/d20. 3" lift on 33's. Runnin Great! Awaiting body work and flatbed!
Old 03-14-2014, 02:28 PM

Thumbs up Solved!

Thanks for all the advice! After realizing that the bumper mounted lights were not stock (they looked perfectly in character) I was able to trace the wires to the problem source under the dash. I won't describe the unsafe and horrific nonsense I discovered there, but after much rewiring I was able to disconnect the switch and hook the ac back up to its place in the fuse box. It is now working great and I no longer have a lurking fear of an electrical fire. Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2014, 03:26 PM
snide. snarky. grease covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Creek
Thanks for all the advice! After realizing that the bumper mounted lights were not stock (they looked perfectly in character) I was able to trace the wires to the problem source under the dash. I won't describe the unsafe and horrific nonsense I discovered there, but after much rewiring I was able to disconnect the switch and hook the ac back up to its place in the fuse box. It is now working great and I no longer have a lurking fear of an electrical fire. Thanks again!
Glad you got it.