International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 01-20-2007, 08:49 AM
232 I6

opinions

Haven't been on here for a bit as my j10 honcho stepside had to sit until I got a few other things cleared up. The project has began finally. It is a 1982 and I have the following planned for it:

rhino grill/ front conversion, parts all bought
3 inch chassis lift (anyone know a good source for this)
colour change (was that chocolate brown, going to be ???)
currently 6cyl have 360 ready to install
updated interior with '85 grand wagoneer interior
dual exhaust
gauge updates with custom gauges

just got it back from the body/ paint shop to remove engine and send back to get firewall painted and then it comes back for the engine and chassis work. I have a couple of questions.

anybody have any advice or "gotta ya's" they can warn me about here on the chassis lift
anybody have any advice regarding the v8 conversion
any other little tidbits to help through this project

I have 3 grand Wagoneers and a junk j20 with plenty of donor stuff....and access to my pal's Jeep dealership......best friend and all but he wants me to "slam it and hot rod it......" needless to say I'm ignoring him on that

thanks in advance
Old 01-20-2007, 09:57 AM

Thumbs up V8 SWAP

My first Jeep 25 years ago was an "81" stepside 6cyl that I eventually swapped a 360 into was fairly strait forward from what I remember. Had to change out the radiator support panel to accomodate the V8 radiator (that was kind of an unexpected pain) . Other than that, I had to get shift linkage (tranfer case and tranny) for a V8 j10,since the new motor bolted up in a diferent location than the 6cyl. (The bolt holes are already there for the V8 motor mounts). It turned out to be a Nice swap. LOL Jeff
Old 01-20-2007, 04:10 PM
232 I6

wiring harness

Just got in from swinging wrenches and was wondering. I bought a complete, intact v8 J10 under hood wiring harness for it. I have it tucked away so I can't check it right now, does the entire under hood main harness come off and get replaced by a complete under hood v8 harness?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:27 PM

Talking engine swap

Sorry but I don't recall having any issues with the wiring. LOL Jeff
Old 01-21-2007, 04:50 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Pretty much just unbolt the bulk head connector from the fuse block, or if your lucky and there are weatherpack connectors, just plug and play. However, you should be able to use the 6 cyl harness, you will have to modify the sending unit wires and ignition system wires, time consuming but can be done.
1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin
Old 01-21-2007, 09:48 AM
232 I6

I have the harness off and am going to lay it beside the v8 one I bought off ebay, plus compare it to the GW's sitting around here to see if there is any major differences (the I6 wiring harness is in really good shape). going to have a print shop blow up the factory wiring diagram to assist

bought the j10 in New Mexico (may have spent some of it's life in Montana) nice, solid ol' girl, but how do I get this red "sand" out from inside the frame.....a good compressor and lots of air?
Old 01-21-2007, 06:07 PM

Talking red sand

Try flushing any and all ports and holes you can find in the frame. Time consuming and a little messy also try lifting one end while you do this so it drains better. Also rodding a coat hanger while flushing helps keep draining holes clear and break up larger chunks of mud and rust. when the water starts running out clear, its about as clean as its going to get. LOL Jeff
Old 01-22-2007, 07:30 AM
232 I6

thanks, I'll give that a try once the weather gets above freezing here