International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 01-03-2021, 10:42 PM
327 Rambler

I'm Starting the FSSR basic kit from Rocklaurence. The front bumper needed to get removed to access the front spring hangers. I was able to remove the winch, bumper and front shackles.

Right now it's setting securely on some Jack stands waiting for further disassembly. I hope to get a dry day next weekend to get more done.

It's pretty straight forward. I'm looking forward to the results. I didn't opt for the receiver kit because of the massive front bumper Art built for this Jeep.

I think I'll tie the mounts together with something though. The mounts will be bolted and welded to the frame.

Starting measurements for the front fenders and bumper.

Drivers front fender

Passenger front fender

Front bumper

Some disassembly pics.

Old 01-04-2021, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Awesome! I have the same kit, works great! You will need to have your driveshaft lengthened and a long travel yoke put on when your done. I also had to change my brake line brackets but other than that, it was a pretty easy installation and it does ride better when you are done.

Oh, and I had to tilt my shock mounts back. All you have to do is unbolt the mount rotate them rearward and re-bolt them in.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 01-10-2021, 10:43 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Awesome! I have the same kit, works great! You will need to have your driveshaft lengthened and a long travel yoke put on when your done. I also had to change my brake line brackets but other than that, it was a pretty easy installation and it does ride better when you are done.

Oh, and I had to tilt my shock mounts back. All you have to do is unbolt the mount rotate them rearward and re-bolt them in.

Thanks Marc

I wanted to get this done this weekend, but it didn't happen. I had to work Saturday helping a couple of friends. Sunday was my jeep day but was wet, not rain, but the heavy mist that gets everything wet.

I started by grinding off both front spring mounts.

Then it was a trip to get a step bit to drill the 1-1/2 hole in the frame.

In the mean time I spent a couple of hours staying out of the crap weather by looking for a jeep item that has eluded me. No luck.

Towards the end of the day I got back out to drill the hole and start to mount the first bracket, swap the spring and install my new shackle.

Maybe I will be able to finish this next weekend. It does feel good to make some progress, and there is no turning back once you bust out the grinder and get the mounts cut off.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:30 PM
304 AMC

nice upgrade

love the Cherokee.

a real SUV.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 01-12-2021, 08:29 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
nice upgrade

love the Cherokee.

a real SUV.

dave in NC

Thanks Dave. I'm excited to get it sitting level and feel the ride difference.

I just keep chipping away at the things that need done as time allows. I do have to wait for fair weather for the floor pan project.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:04 PM
304 AMC

thats it

one thing at a time

its fun.

when its all done,....

not as much fun,... ask me how I know,.....

but always something to do on a vintage vehicle.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 01-16-2021, 07:08 PM
327 Rambler

More progress on the FSSR. I have older Bj's 6" springs. I'm not sure I like how far forward it pushed the tire. Seems like it may grab the front of the fender pretty easy. As the springs flatten out and shackles rotate to the rear it may get better.

Like Marc pointed out, extending the front driveline is required, and rotating the shock towers also.

I forgot to grab my tape measure for comparison measurements, it is higher by a couple of inches. I'm sure I'll like the ride when it's totally wrapped up.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:09 AM
350 Buick

Do you have the full weight on those springs in the pics? Those shackles should be leaning backwards. Did you have to flip the springs around backwards?
Old 01-17-2021, 08:01 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
Do you have the full weight on those springs in the pics? Those shackles should be leaning backwards. Did you have to flip the springs around backwards?

Thanks for the reply. I was assuming the shackles would lay back when it was on it's own weight also.

Yes, the full weight is on the springs and yes I flipped them so the large bushing is in the front at the solid mount and small bushing is in the shackle. And all of the spring / shackle bolts are loose. I assume it has something to do with the actual spring length / arch. It needs to flatten out to extend.

I haven't driven it. So maybe that will help. But I still need to finish the passenger side bolts and weld the mounts and crossmember between them.

I also need to rotate the shock towers and get a new driveshaft or mine extended.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:03 PM
350 Buick

Maybe once you get it all installed and can move it forward and back while tapping the brakes, it'll settle to something better. Driveshaft and shocks not needed for that. I didn't do that same kit but something similar. I still had to add shims to get the front pinion angle right. Just did that last week actually. YMMV and all that.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:47 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
Maybe once you get it all installed and can move it forward and back while tapping the brakes, it'll settle to something better. Driveshaft and shocks not needed for that. I didn't do that same kit but something similar. I still had to add shims to get the front pinion angle right. Just did that last week actually. YMMV and all that.

I moved it back and fourth a couple of times. things stayed in the same place.

Those springs have my pinion at a bad angle. It's hard to tell from these pics but look at the angle of the spring perch in the passenger side pic.

I don't think it can be shimmed, The spring pad shows how far bassakwards things are looking.

I may look into different front spring packs. Or go go back to stock leaves and put the SOA perches on.

Plus I found some bigger tires.

Last edited by 78 WIDETRAC : 01-21-2021 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:19 PM
327 Rambler

Today I spent some time messing around with the front springs. I flipped them, and it centered the wheel. The shackle angle is still not correct, but I had to see.

My springs are BJ's 6". Older, so I have no idea who really made them.

I picked up a 6' long 3x2 steel square tube 1/4" thick on the marketplace for $15 so I'll cut a chunk to put between the FSSR mounts. Maybe overlap the front of them also.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:45 PM
327 Rambler

Not much progress to report.

However I did finish up bolting the FSSR kit up. I held off because I did not have my angle finder to ensure it was plumb. I also cross threaded a bolt from the kit, so I had to get another couple just incase.

I bought a rolling welding cart (Lugging a mig box around gets old) and some items to start on the pans soon. That is really the last major project to do.

Don't get me wrong I have TONS of little things. I have a long punch list.

For all of the grease and oil under this Jeep I'm surprised it was able to rust!
Old 02-16-2021, 08:01 PM
327 Rambler

I finally installed the evil twin fab grab bars on the A pillars.

How do I combat this condensation in the future?

Here is some of the ice we got covering a bike in the back yard.

I'm also wanting to figure out a way to use these for more interior light at some point. Like best location etc...

Old 02-16-2021, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Ooooohhh... that roof top condensation looks Terrible! I would not know where to start in combatting it. Maybe just crack the windows at night?

Look up some of Driftwoods posts. He put some of those LEDs on his headliner and they look pretty snazzy.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 02-16-2021, 09:42 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Ooooohhh... that roof top condensation looks Terrible! I would not know where to start in combatting it. Maybe just crack the windows at night?

Look up some of Driftwoods posts. He put some of those LEDs on his headliner and they look pretty snazzy.

I guess I should have mentioned it had snow and ice on it for 4 or 5 days. But I'm sure that will be the case again. I've always wondered exactly what the products folks put on the under side of the roofs do. Sound deaden or insulate or both? Especially Jeeps that are parked outside and are not daily drivers.

Rang, I was surprised to see that much condensation and oddly enough my drivers window was open abut 3/8 of an inch.

Thanks for the tip on Driftwoods posts.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:38 PM
232 I6

Not sure if you got your shackles to roll back yet or not. But if they didn't, I'd like to offer up my experience with a similar issue. I installed my front leaves and new shackles on a bare frame with no weight and the shackles we're rolled back. I figured as I added weight, they would roll forward. They did some, BUT what we eventually figured out was that there was not enough force to push the shackle past the mid point of the arc. Even with 2000 additional pounds now pressing down. The solution was to unbolt the top shackle bolt and compress the spring with a 4x4 and ratchet straps until the shackle bushing was past the 6 o'clock position in the hanger. After that every thing was peachy. You just have to get the shackle past the apex of the arc. Notching the 4x4 to fit just inside the shackle hanger helps. It's physics, but I can't actually explain the "why."

before:

[/url]1229191400 by highsiera

after, look close:

[/url]0301201534 by highsiera

Fleet Fox
Old 02-16-2021, 11:48 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 WIDETRAC
I guess I should have mentioned it had snow and ice on it for 4 or 5 days. But I'm sure that will be the case again. I've always wondered exactly what the products folks put on the under side of the roofs do. Sound deaden or insulate or both? Especially Jeeps that are parked outside and are not daily drivers.

Rang, I was surprised to see that much condensation and oddly enough my drivers window was open abut 3/8 of an inch.

Thanks for the tip on Driftwoods posts.

Condensation that bad is likely due to leaking (or lack of) seals and other ingress areas allowing too much water in the cabin. That water then can't get out and condensates on the roof under the right conditions. Seal that bad boy up, floors and all, to keep the wet out.

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
Old 02-17-2021, 09:11 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetFox
Not sure if you got your shackles to roll back yet or not. But if they didn't, I'd like to offer up my experience with a similar issue. I installed my front leaves and new shackles on a bare frame with no weight and the shackles we're rolled back. I figured as I added weight, they would roll forward. They did some, BUT what we eventually figured out was that there was not enough force to push the shackle past the mid point of the arc. Even with 2000 additional pounds now pressing down. The solution was to unbolt the top shackle bolt and compress the spring with a 4x4 and ratchet straps until the shackle bushing was past the 6 o'clock position in the hanger. After that every thing was peachy. You just have to get the shackle past the apex of the arc. Notching the 4x4 to fit just inside the shackle hanger helps. It's physics, but I can't actually explain the "why."

before:

[/url]1229191400 by highsiera

after, look close:

[/url]0301201534 by highsiera

Fleet Fox

Thank you for sharing the method you used. I haven't been under it in quite a few days. I need to replace one shackle before I do this.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:16 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob
Condensation that bad is likely due to leaking (or lack of) seals and other ingress areas allowing too much water in the cabin. That water then can't get out and condensates on the roof under the right conditions. Seal that bad boy up, floors and all, to keep the wet out.

Well Rob that's good news. I have holes in my floor and most gaskets need replaced. So once they are solid. The condensation should be eliminated. Or at least way less.

The stuff you installed on the under side of your roof. Is it just for sound or some sort of insulation also?