International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 12-13-2020, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
dang

the waiting game for parts,...

ready to see it on the truck.

header looks good.

dave
I'm usually a pretty patient guy; especially when someone has my expensive parts. But I am transitioning from slightly annoyed to full fledged annoyed and trending toward upset waiting on engine bits. This grill work was supposed to distract me but now I am waiting on Team Grand Wagoneer to send me those stupid plastic nuts, too. ggrrrr....
I had a ton of win this weekend. I bought that 78 header panel on Thursday night, picked it up Friday morning, pressure washed it, and started my inspection. It's actually a 79 or later header panel! WOoooo Hooo! No need to swap grill mount brackets or cut headlight buckets to fit! It is TOTALLY straight, no rust other than some light pitting under/behind the turn signal housings and it's originally saxon yellow. It has some sort of thick black paint on it but that's fine for now.

Spent about an hour with a hammer, 4x4 chunk of wood, and a straight edge pounding on the radiator support, and driver side fender so they were straight as I can get them. No good pics.

Cleaned up the header panel, cut the hole for my trans cooler, threw some satin black behind the grill, and it fell on.

Trial fit of "new" grill is MUCH nicer. I still need to finish adjusting this header panel a little and then tighten all the hardware.

My old dumpster fire turn signal bucket is no longer a dumpster fire.

This header panel was money well spent!

While the panel was off, I made 2 more gussets for my front receiver because I am getting better at welding and did not trust my older welds. I trust this receiver now to mount my winch and pull me or someone else out!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 12-19-2020, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Whelp, Team Grand Wagoneer did not disappoint. One part ordered and one part took forever to get here. At least it did not fit correctly, though. Hole is .495" and the nuts are .575". That's a big difference for these little dudes! Took me a solid >30 minutes with a dremel to shave them all down enough to fit.

Once they were installed, my grill sat right down on top of them. No pushing, no pulling. Then I put my off-road lights on. I also spent about an hour lining up my my bastard'ized bumper. I never really took the time to hang my bumper correctly but it does now. Next the Narrow track front air dam went on. That sucked because the air dam is warped from a previous owner and none of the holes lined up because bastard bumper and my recovery hooks poke out. Good enough for now though and I am no longer storing an air dam, either.

Last thing I did was verify my winch fit with everything all installed and lined up. The upper left handle hits the light before the winch is seated by about 1/4". That will be an easy fix but not for today.

Machinist said my engine will be done on Monday. I'll believe it when I see it. Even if I do get it Monday, I won't have time to get it going before Christmas. Bummer.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:52 AM
Señor Jackhead

Good stuff! I like the winch setup.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 12-21-2020, 07:42 PM
232 I6

i like the hidden winch mounting setup too. I see power cable quick disconnect terminals resting near the battery. Are you going to have a quick disconnect set and power leads for front and rear so you can move the winch around wherever you need it most?
Old 12-21-2020, 09:02 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
While the panel was off, I made 2 more gussets for my front receiver because I am getting better at welding and did not trust my older welds. I trust this receiver now to mount my winch and pull me or someone else out!

Your build is looking great! I may use your idea for the front hitch receiver on mine, too. I dig the way the front end looks and agree with Simo on how awesome the hidden mount is. Your work is certainly inspiring!
Old 12-21-2020, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
Good stuff! I like the winch setup.
Thank you, sir!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo
i like the hidden winch mounting setup too. I see power cable quick disconnect terminals resting near the battery. Are you going to have a quick disconnect set and power leads for front and rear so you can move the winch around wherever you need it most?
I have a quick disconnect on the battery and on the winch so when it is mounted on the front, it just hooks up. I have a pair of 2ga, 20 foot jumper cables with a quick disconnect on one said so when they are on the back of my jeep or on my wife's pathfinder I can use those. I also can use those jumper cables if I need to jump someone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Rogers
Your build is looking great! I may use your idea for the front hitch receiver on mine, too. I dig the way the front end looks and agree with Simo on how awesome the hidden mount is. Your work is certainly inspiring!
Thanks! My build is a drain ($$$ and time). You're in a slightly different boat than I am because you have no front cross member at all. Where my hitch lands, I had to cut about 2.5" up into my bumper, then about 2" below, into the air dam.
FINALLLLLLLY! Engine is home. $1200 bill.
Hone, tank, crank turned, oil holes chamfered, big end of rods rebuilt, pistons cleaned, Rod/main/cam bearings (cam bearings installed), freeze plugs, oil galley plugs, and some other stuff. They painted the block outside and glyptol'ed the oil galley. Ouch. That hurt.
All I did was bring it home, slide the cam in to verify is fits correctly in the new bearings (it does), then stuck the block in the corner with a plastic sheet over it. I won't get to touched it until after Christmas.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:11 PM
350 Buick

Nice. Glad to see you got it back Rang. A bit slow, but this will give you something to do over the holidays. Good luck buddy.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:43 PM
350 Buick

I LOVE engines with "Some Assembly Required" . . .

Nice. Good luck .. I would NOT be able to wait til X-Mas.. lol

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
2001 XJ : Driver - 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280
Old 12-23-2020, 08:43 AM
304 AMC

get busy rang,.....

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 12-23-2020, 12:43 PM
258 I6

Looking good and promising!

Make sure that the blank metal areas of your engine and crank don't rust in the meantime!

Cheers

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins (backup work truck for now
73' Jeep J4000 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is going to have a major overhaul
80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/ms420/D300 (a slow ongoing never finished project)

Trucks/car's from the past:
77' Mini mk1 1100 special.
85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:03 AM
232 I6

Sweet nectar!

"Well I've been down so GD long! and it looks like up to me..." Furry Lewis
Old 01-02-2021, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
Nice. Glad to see you got it back Rang. A bit slow, but this will give you something to do over the holidays. Good luck buddy.
Yep! Been cranking away since coming home from Idaho on Wed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4whln
I LOVE engines with "Some Assembly Required" . . .

Nice. Good luck .. I would NOT be able to wait til X-Mas.. lol
For sure! This assembly has been MUCH more enjoyable because I have done it before and have all the supplies I need... so far. Christmas came and went but I had so much fun at my son's house in Rexburg, it wasn't too bad waiting.
Quote:
get busy rang,.....

dave in NC
Yessa! Been cranking! I promise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heep-J4000
Looking good and promising!

Make sure that the blank metal areas of your engine and crank don't rust in the meantime!

Cheers
Yep! they were all covered in cutting oil and were still a little oily and ready for assembly when I got home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehwy
Sweet nectar!
Indeed! Muy sweet!!
This isn't really a Jeep update; I am living on theamcforum these days.
https://theamcforum.com/forum/fresh-...817_page1.html

To summarize 7 pages of pictures and posts: Long block is pretty much done and ready to be primed.

I hope to prime it tomorrow, hang all my accessories, get it installed and fired up by Monday night. That may not be realistic but I am hopeful. I am reusing all the same lifters and cam so no break-in required and my EFI BIN should be pretty close. Fingers crossed!!!
Old 01-02-2021, 06:42 PM
304 AMC

Can you save me searching and summarize what you did to improve the oil pressure?

I know it's commonly done but ow the ell due they make sure the paint sticks to a porous, formerly oily surface?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
Can you save me searching and summarize what you did to improve the oil pressure?

I know it's commonly done but ow the ell due they make sure the paint sticks to a porous, formerly oily surface?
What??? You do not want to dig through 7 pages of my rambling and useless pictures?? Hahahahaha!

Really, in the grand scheme of things, I rebuilt the bottom end with tighter clearances. I never did find a real smoking gun on why my pressure was so low. I think it was a culmination of a few problems. I had debris go through my motor at some point, probably from me doing a poor job of cleaning my parts during the first rebuild which destroyed my main bearings on top of the slightly loose clearances. Hopefully that is all fixed this time.

The paint in the lifter valley, the shop I used uses it on all their motors. I did not ask them to paint it, did not pay for them to paint it, but it sure looks cool. It is a SEM paint, like glyptol. They hot tank the block, do all the machine work, tank it again, then paint, then cam bearings, freeze plugs, so on.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:24 AM
350 Buick

The paint is to keep the block from rusting and to help the oil travel to the oil pan faster.

The engine looks good Rang, I hope it runs as nice as it's looking.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:27 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
To summarize 7 pages of pictures and posts: Long block is pretty much done and ready to be primed.

I hope to prime it tomorrow

------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks great!

I just read your entire engine thread. Good details - Very nice.

Excited to see this come together!

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
2001 XJ : Driver - 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Last edited by rang-a-stang : 01-04-2021 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:44 PM
304 AMC

I know the why and I know it's been done forever. Just scares me. Always has.

I guess if they're doing the real hot tanking in good ole caustic cleaner it'll get the oil outta the pores.

Tomorrow still the big day?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:12 AM
304 AMC

RANG
glad your engine is back

it will run good this time,...

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 01-04-2021, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4whln
------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks great!

I just read your entire engine thread. Good details - Very nice.

Excited to see this come together!
Thanks! I know I ramble and post a lot/bordering on too many pictures but I cannot tell you how many times I have gone back to my threads to see how I did something, or see a picture of something long buried into my rig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
I know the why and I know it's been done forever. Just scares me. Always has.

I guess if they're doing the real hot tanking in good ole caustic cleaner it'll get the oil outta the pores.

Tomorrow still the big day?
When I did the first rebuild, I read quite a bit about painting the lifter valley/crankcase and there are a lot of opinions out there. Most articles written by big name builders seemed indifferent to it when I was reading so I passed on it. I don't remember finding any articles or first hand experiences of anyone that had bad experiences with it (like engine damage from peeling paint flakes). Most of what I read is either it's a useless waste of time/money or it helps a little bit.

All that to say, It was really nice working in that clean valley. When I primed, the oil did move on the paint like water on a well waxed hood. That would probably matter if I was racing this, but I don't. If I do ever build another engine, I probably will paint the lifter valley again more for looks.

Big day=more below.
Quote:
RANG
glad your engine is back

it will run good this time,...

dave in NC
Thank you sir! Hopefully we will know for sure tomorrow morning!!!
Snuck away last night and finished dressing my motor. It's off the engine stand and ready to go in today.

Fingers crossed I can back it out of the garage tonight!
Old 01-04-2021, 07:12 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Thanks! I know I ramble and post a lot/bordering on too many pictures but I cannot tell you how many times I have gone back to my threads to see how I did something, or see a picture of something long buried into my rig.

When I did the first rebuild, I read quite a bit about painting the lifter valley/crankcase and there are a lot of opinions out there. Most articles written by big name builders seemed indifferent to it when I was reading so I passed on it. I don't remember finding any articles or first hand experiences of anyone that had bad experiences with it (like engine damage from peeling paint flakes). Most of what I read is either it's a useless waste of time/money or it helps a little bit.

All that to say, It was really nice working in that clean valley. When I primed, the oil did move on the paint like water on a well waxed hood. That would probably matter if I was racing this, but I don't. If I do ever build another engine, I probably will paint the lifter valley again more for looks.

Big day=more below.

Thank you sir! Hopefully we will know for sure tomorrow morning!!!
Snuck away last night and finished dressing my motor. It's off the engine stand and ready to go in today.

Fingers crossed I can back it out of the garage tonight!

Dang Marc! Quick progress. You make it look easy. I hope you are able to fire it up tonight too.