International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Classifieds > "Look Here" for Parts, Vehicles and Vendors > For Sale: Parts and Pieces (To keep our rigs running)

Old 09-13-2020, 12:49 PM
230 Tornado

Reproduction VIN sticker artwork for FSJs

I'm new here, but have been a member of the EarlyCJ5 forum for over 10 years. Below are examples of the VIN sticker / decal formats I've developed, which were originally intended for use on 1969 through 1979 CJ's. In 2019 I put these formats on a thread on the ECJ5 forum to make them available to those Jeep owners. Since then, I've realized that many of these VIN sticker formats are also appropriate for FSJ's.

During the process of developing these VIN sticker formats, after a good deal of searching I was able to find a printer that can print the reproductions with a clear border to match the clear tape on the original Jeep VIN stickers. These are very high-quality stickers printed on white-backed vinyl with permanent adhesive, and covered with UV-resistant gloss laminate.

For each VIN sticker created to date, after getting the customer's approval on the draft artwork, I've emailed high-resolution versions of the finished artwork to the printer, then sent their contact info to the customer, who then got in touch with the printer directly to arrange payment and shipping of the finished sticker. For anyone who would like me to create the artwork for a VIN sticker for their FSJ, this is the same process I will use moving forward.

My current charge for the artwork is $25, payable in advance by PayPal at the email address below (or USPS money order if you don’t use PayPal). The printer will charge you approx $35 total for the printing and shipping of the sticker itself, so your total cost will be about $60.00.

If you'd like to contact me, please do so by email at snoopy2x @ gmail.com (just leave out the spaces before and after the @ symbol).

As I refined these VIN sticker formats, I was eventually able to locate either the original fonts or ones that are very close to those used on the original stickers. The areas of the stickers that were originally imprinted on the factory assembly line are printed in 90% grey (rather than black) to help give the impression of having been line-printed. I also take care to replicate character alignments with those on owners' original stickers, unless corrected alignments are preferred.

I set out to make these reproduction formats as accurate to the originals as possible. Here's a sample of the current 1972-73 reproduction VIN sticker artwork partially overlaid on the image of an original 1972 sticker:

Below are photos found online of original VIN stickers from the different year ranges, paired with (low-resolution) samples of the corresponding current reproduction sticker images.

Format 1 was used on the 1969 & early '70 Kaiser CJ's, Jeepsters, as well as possibly on FSJs. The printed portion, i.e. the area inside the clear borders, measured 2.25" x 6":

Format 2 was used on the 1970 & '71 AMC CJ's, Jeepsters, and FSJs. The printed portion of the earlier version of these stickers measured 2.25" x 6". In the later version this was downsized to approx. 1.7" x 4.5" (actually 1.68" x 4.48"). The printed portion of Format 2A is 2.25" x 6", and that of Format 2B is 1.68" x 4.48":

Format 3 was used on the 1972 & '73 AMC CJ's, Jeepsters, and possibly on FSJs. At this point, the only confirmed size I have for the printed portion of these stickers is 1.68" x 4.48":

Format 4 was used on the 1974 & '75 AMC CJ's. They were also used on FSJs of that era. As far as I know, the printed portion of these stickers likewise all measured 1.68" x 4.48":

Another variation, Format 5, was used in the DJ-5 Postal Jeeps built by AM General Corporation during the 1970s (though the exact year range is unknown). This VIN sticker was also 1.68" x 4.48":

This VIN sticker, Format 6, appears to have been used only during the 1976 model year. Some in this format had the manufacturing date line-printed on them, and some didn't, so it's up to the individual owner whether to include that or not. This sticker measured 1.75" x 4":

Variations of this VIN sticker, Format 7, were used from 1977 until 1979 by AMC, and measured 2.5" x 4.5". These stickers sometimes included the assembly-line printed manufacturing date, but other times did not. At the owner's option, this date can either be left off or added as shown below:

This similar VIN sticker used by American Motors in Canada from 1977 to '79, Format 8, also measured 2.5" x 4.5":

Last edited by maurywhurt : 09-18-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:01 AM
304 AMC

I don't need a new sticker now, but it looks like a great work !

My small contribution : the switch from format 1 to format 2 was in may 1970.
By the way i am working on the connection between serial numbers and production dates
Old 09-14-2020, 04:19 AM
350 Buick

Just a question, is this legal?
Old 09-14-2020, 06:29 AM
230 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud89
I don't need a new sticker now, but it looks like a great work !

My small contribution : the switch from format 1 to format 2 was in may 1970.
By the way i am working on the connection between serial numbers and production dates

Thanks so much for the kind words! I also appreciate the tip on the date for the switch from Format 1 to Format 2.

That's great you're working on serial numbers vs. production dates for the FSJ's. A lot of that information was lost for the CJ's, and I've been thinking about building a database to help reconstruct that knowledge.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:35 AM
230 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley-moeracing
Just a question, is this legal?

That's a good question, and I had the same one before I started working on these VIN sticker formats. After researching it, I found that there are quite a few different companies online that produce reproduction VIN stickers for all kinds of vehicles, so it is not illegal to replace the stickers. I gather the reason is that the state DMV's evidently don't use the VIN stickers for formal vehicle identification, but rather the VIN that is stamped or imprinted into the vehicles' frames / unibodies.

Last edited by maurywhurt : 09-14-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:58 AM
304 AMC

great work on re typesetting/designing the labels.

they are very nice....

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 09-14-2020, 04:07 PM
230 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
great work on re typesetting/designing the labels.

they are very nice....

dave in NC

Thanks, Dave!

I live in NC too - in Black Mountain (up near Asheville).

Maury
Old 09-15-2020, 08:05 AM
304 AMC

OH YES, great part of the state,....

also home of UNC Tarheel,....Brad Daugherty, correct ?

dave in Benson, NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 09-15-2020, 11:37 AM
Administrator

This is great!! I am not ready to order now but will in a couple years. Posting so I subscribed.

I have a close friend that is the VIN verifier at california highway patrol and I will ask him if this is legal. My guess is as long as the data on the sticker is the same they will not care. Also, like maurywhurt mentioned, it is not the official VIN anyway.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 09-26-2020, 05:44 PM
327 Rambler

What about emission labels for the breathers? I've been meaning to make reproductions for a 77 360 (auto) for AGES!!!
Original paint, garaged/non-op for over 15 years
Old 09-27-2020, 11:12 AM
230 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach_Dude
What about emission labels for the breathers? I've been meaning to make reproductions for a 77 360 (auto) for AGES!!!

I've done the artwork for a few emissions stickers, and as long as I have a good photo of a readable original that's in decent shape, and the dimensions of the original sticker, I could replicate one for your Jeep.

That said, there is typically a lot of time involved in developing such artwork from scratch, and doing so would accordingly be relatively costly.

Maury

Last edited by maurywhurt : 09-27-2020 at 11:18 AM.