• Show
Clear All
  • Crankyolman
    350 Buick
    • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by backroadin'
    Any news??
    Here is all I know. A while back the ebay listing was closed and shows this
    "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

and on their website they show it as "sold" (https://www.streetsideclassics.com/v...jeep-j2000-4x4 ). I don't know if that means someone bought it or it has been seized or what but I am keeping an eye on salvage auction and police seizure auctions to see if it turns up as a non rebuildable vehicle with an altered vin number although it is possible that if it were seized it could go straight to the crusher.

If somebody actually bought it I hope they didn't get screwed by the purchase.

I doubt I will get much more information about it.
    Last edited by Crankyolman; 10-31-2019, 09:27 AM.
    '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
      350 Buick
      • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by Tanker
      I know of a 1979 J truck that looks like 80s up the only thing still 79 is the frame,and rear axle. Vin is 79 but the cab was swapped. We also are building a 60s 80s J 20 truck. 80s J 20 vin with every thing else is 60s vin will be 80s but cab,grill,etc will be 60s. of course better wiring. So be careful of it but can happen.
      Are you saying you are swapping VIN tags around? That's the only way I can think of that a browless cab could get a '79 VIN or a 60s cab can get an '80 VIN. As has been pointed out, yes it happens but it is not legal and can land a person doing so in a whole lot of legal trouble.
      '72 J4500

Comment

• Tanker
        350 Buick
        • Jan 04, 2005

Swaping vins? No the 1st had bad wiring with most of the floor gone,passenger side being not held by any thing. With cab off he went to a 4 speed/208 in stead of D20 then swap front axle to DSD for front disk. Bed swap as well. The second is a 80 J20 that the owner wants it to look have it look like 60s early 70s. So dash, cab, grill,bed all will be swapped. Not sure of the wrecker boom. The beauty and curse of this model of Jeep is the interchangeability of parts 1960s parts on a 1990 plus the reversal of it As to just selling a vin plate an papers no way. So how would you do it ? Maybe not at all?
        Owner of Jakes FSJ Junkyard 91 Jeep Cherokee /2006 3500 Dodge AKA Babe the big blue puller
        Hire the handicapped, they are fun watch!

Comment

• Crankyolman
          350 Buick
          • Sep 27, 2017

Swaping vins? . So dash, cab, grill,bed all will be swapped
          How do you swap a cab but keep the same VIN number when the VIN is affixed to the cab? The cab is the truck because that is what the VIN is attached to.
          Last edited by Crankyolman; 11-02-2019, 02:42 PM.
          '72 J4500

Comment

• Tanker
            350 Buick
            • Jan 04, 2005

Take the vin off reattach to "new" cab. The big problem is the older SJs most of those vins are screwed on the door side not sure if there place else. On the 60s truck I have papers on both. So I could attach the 60s vin to the door side with screws thats factory,or affix the other vin to the dash. Mite not look right because the 60s dash is over the vin area. Yes its a grey area or black and white depending on how you look at it. In the vin world I know in FL there are newer vehicles being cloned one vin to two vehicles,not sure if more. Both are the same every thing but one real the other stolen. Police impound both to figure out the real one. The most is 4 on one vin how they do it I dont know.
            Owner of Jakes FSJ Junkyard 91 Jeep Cherokee /2006 3500 Dodge AKA Babe the big blue puller
            Hire the handicapped, they are fun watch!

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
              304 AMC
              • Jul 20, 2014

My thoughts on removing a VIN tag. I don't think it is ever legal. But I will say this. Lots of people do this with no intentions of ever selling the car. They take a bunch of different parts from different cars and make one. Now they have a car that runs drives and because of the VIN swap, can get papers and drive it legally. No one was hurt in the scenario I laid out. Now if the guy wants to sell the car, that is were the problem comes into play. It would take a very special person to buy a car with a switched VIN. Maybe a close friend of the guy that built it? Not sure who would willingly buy it unless you could get it for some really good deal. I would not be interested in it at any price.
              1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
              Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Crankyolman
                350 Buick
                • Sep 27, 2017

Take the vin off reattach to "new" cab.
                Yes its a grey area or black and white depending on how you look at it.
                So you ARE swapping VIN tags. That is exactly what you are doing, you are removing a VIN off of one cab and installing it on another which has had the original VIN removed. It's not a grey area it IS illegal as well as fraud and could land you in a heap of legal trouble. Especially if you are doing it for somebody else who may some day sell the truck or doing it in order to sell a truck.

If you have the proper paperwork why would you do such a thing?
                Last edited by Crankyolman; 11-02-2019, 06:26 PM.
                '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by Full Size Jeeper
                  My thoughts on removing a VIN tag. I don't think it is ever legal. But I will say this. Lots of people do this with no intentions of ever selling the car. They take a bunch of different parts from different cars and make one. Now they have a car that runs drives and because of the VIN swap, can get papers and drive it legally. No one was hurt in the scenario I laid out. Now if the guy wants to sell the car, that is were the problem comes into play. It would take a very special person to buy a car with a switched VIN. Maybe a close friend of the guy that built it? Not sure who would willingly buy it unless you could get it for some really good deal. I would not be interested in it at any price.
                  There are legal ways of getting a state to issue a VIN for a vehicle made up of parts or get a VIN issued when the original is missing if you have proof of where things came from.
                  '72 J4500

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 20, 2014

There are legal ways of getting a state to issue a VIN for a vehicle made up of parts or get a VIN issued when the original is missing if you have proof of where things came from.
                    So you say the state can re-VIN a car. I did not know this, cool! Maybe that is what the guy did with the vehicle in question. I just read, if you have both titles and all is good, the state will issue a new VIN tied to the numbers on the frame and engine. Does this sound right?
                    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
                    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Crankyolman
                      350 Buick
                      • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by Full Size Jeeper
                      So you say the state can re-VIN a car. I did not know this, cool! Maybe that is what the guy did with the vehicle in question. I just read, if you have both titles and all is good, the state will issue a new VIN tied to the numbers on the frame and engine. Does this sound right?
                      When a state issues a new VIN it is not the same as the original VIN. All states are a little different but similar. When I lived in Oklahoma I once bought a theft recovery Trans AM with a missing VIN. I had to take the proof of where I got it to the police and have them inspect the car and fill out some paperwork. Eventually the state issued me a new VIN that started with OK (For Oklahoma) and instructions that required me to stamp the new OK VIN in the door frame. Some states require a tag of some sort and others stamped in different places but they don't authorize you to install a VIN off a different vehicle or even reinstall am existing VIN, only the Feds can do that and after a certain year VINs were required to be attached with special rivets, not just pop rivets. Even the auto makers are required to get federal authority to alter a VIN once it has been installed. In the 60's the Shelby mustangs that were left over one year and re-VINed for the next year had to get a special waiver and do it under strict control of the feds. That's also why the only 1971 Boss 302 Mustang ever produced was able to be found, because even though they relabeled it a Boss 351 and sold it as such they were not allowed to re-VIN it, so the VIN reflects that is is a Boss 302.
                      '72 J4500

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                        304 AMC
                        • Jul 20, 2014

Gotcha, so the old VIN would be gone and the new state VIN which looks different would be on the car. I see said the blind man. My father-in-law built a 16 ft. wooden boat with my kids years ago. Wildlife and fisheries came out and looked at all the receipts for all the wood, paint, ect. and issued and ID for the boat that we could then register and sell later if wanted, with no problems.
                        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

Working...
                        X