• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scotty1998
    350 Buick
    • Apr 21, 2008

AC Troubleshooting

Can someone just check my sanity? I am trying to pull vac on my ac system while the service valves are in the neutral (service) positions. No matter what I do, vac will not hold. I'm relatively sure that I have all of my fittings tight and I just want to tell you all the troubleshooting I've gone through and why I think the compressor is leaking.

If I turn the service valves all the way clockwise, this isolates the compressor. If I draw vacuum independently on both the high and low sides, vac holds fine. This would mean that the compressor is the culprit, right?

Thanks .
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    Stock Everything
    AMC 360, 2-BBL Motorcraft

Are you converting it? 134 is cheap enough last time a checked. You could just shoot a can in and see where it leaks out. Some times, that is your only choice to find it.
    David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
    83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
    10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• scotty1998
      350 Buick
      • Apr 21, 2008

Already converted. Just trying to fire everything back up after replacing a hose. It's definitely leaking. You can watch the gauge drop and it returns to ambient pressure in about 2 minutes.
      1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
      Stock Everything

Comment

• sonoraed
        232 I6
        • Sep 06, 2003

add a couple of oz 134a and listen for leaks or spray with soapy water, that kind of leak should be easy to find
        I would replace those backseating service valves with valves that have schraeder valves and 134a ports,makes life a little easier
        Sonoraed,fuel injected,SOA 79 J10,Dana 20 twin stick,700R4,89 GW dashboard,

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by scotty1998
          Can someone just check my sanity? I am trying to pull vac on my ac system while the service valves are in the neutral (service) positions. No matter what I do, vac will not hold. I'm relatively sure that I have all of my fittings tight and I just want to tell you all the troubleshooting I've gone through and why I think the compressor is leaking.

If I turn the service valves all the way clockwise, this isolates the compressor. If I draw vacuum independently on both the high and low sides, vac holds fine. This would mean that the compressor is the culprit, right?

Thanks .
          If you turn the service valves all the way in the compressor is isolated from the system and safe to remove.
          Drawing a vacuum when the valves are in this position *and* vacuum holding would indicate the compressor is NOT leaking.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• scotty1998
            350 Buick
            • Apr 21, 2008

Ok, by revisiting the diagrams for the valve ops on Tom's old Jeep web site I figured out why I was confused. Diagrams a and B are reversed. A is actually showing the compressor isolation position, not normal ops as indicated. I see now why full clockwise position indicates that the compressor isn't leaking. Soap and water next. ThNx guys.
            Last edited by scotty1998; 03-24-2012, 12:42 PM.
            1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
            Stock Everything

Comment

Working...
            X