• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 89wagdrvr
    232 I6
    • Aug 05, 2010

Dual CTO in rear of engine?

My dual CTO in the rear of the engine is leaking. There is a small pool of what appears to be engine oil. Anyone know a way to fix this? Can I just pull it and reseal? If so what should I seal it with? Would it be possible to bypass this CTO? It seems to be a real pita.
  • mdill
    Gone. Not Forgotten.
    • Nov 22, 2000

It goes in to a water passage, so if you have oil showing, that leak is from some where else. Most by this time have internal vacumn leaks and don't work right, but few I have seen leak externaly.
    -----------------------------------------
    Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
    1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
    1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
    1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
    1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
    And the other stuff that gets driven
    ----------------------------------------

Comment

The oil is most likely from your valve cover gasket.
      Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
      Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• 89wagdrvr
        232 I6
        • Aug 05, 2010

Is it possible to bypass it? TGW wants $59.00 for it?

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

I wouldn't but that doesn't mean you couldn't. Pretty sure thats the one that controls the vac feed to the EGR. you might try shopping elsewhere besides TGW.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• tgreese
            • May 29, 2003

Somebody here might have a used one for you. I suggest you keep it if you don't know what you are doing wrt the devices it controls. It's not the source of your leak, so there's no need to buy a new one unless you know it's not working.

It does control the EGR, among other things. Here's the vacuum diagram. http://oljeep.com/gw/vac/89/89-FSJ-HDC_Vacuum.jpg
            Last edited by tgreese; 11-03-2011, 12:02 PM.
            Tim Reese
            Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
            Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
            Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
            GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
            ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• 89wagdrvr
              232 I6
              • Aug 05, 2010

Okay I got it to stop leaking. Now I have a much bigger problem!! After looking at the VAC diagram I have a lot of questions. My VAC lines dont match the diagram. Here is what mine looks like. Looks like the PO before my Dad made some changes.

Red= My tee off my PCV valve gets reduced and goes into a port on my dual CTO

Blue= Runs around the front and then rear and is teed. One line goes into intake manifold. The other end of the tee goes into plastic vacuum ball on firewall.

yellow= looks like I have two lines running to fuel tank???

Man I need some help
              Attached Files

Comment

• tgreese
                • May 29, 2003

Realize that you have two vacuum signals - manifold vacuum (strong at idle) and ported vacuum (zero at idle). Each of the devices requires one or the other of these signals.

If you look at the diagram, there's a line that says "to vacuum reservoir." This is the ball that you mentioned. It does not really matter how the lines are routed, as long as the ball is fed with vacuum. The ball buffers the vacuum used for the heater controls.

If it were my Jeep, I'd print out a copy of the vacuum diagram and first assess whether all the devices are there. The diagram shows some destinations for vacuum signal: distributor, EGR valve, PCV valve, vacuum register, vapor canister, TAC (thermostatic air cleaner), air control valve, power valve on the carburetor (I think that's all). Everything else is some kind of device to modulate the vacuum signal before it gets to the destinations (like the CTOs and delay valves), or are sources of vacuum (fittings in the manifold, most of the nipples on the carburetor).

I suggest that you first take stock of what you have, and what's missing. If you're lucky, all you'll need to do is buy some vacuum hose and reconnect everything. If not, you'll have to decide whether you want to try and restore the plumbing to factory condition, and if not, you'll need to remove or disable the destinations one by one.
                Tim Reese
                Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.

Comment

• 89wagdrvr
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 05, 2010

Looked again. It is the way I described. Would there be any reason the tee line off the PCV valve would run into the Dual CTO? Just does not seem right. Are there 2 vacuum reservoirs? I have the plastic ball on the firewall and the tin can looking thing on the driver side forward engine compartment. Does anyone know how the line off the plastic ball reservoir is supposed to correctly be routed? can't seem to find it in the diagram.

Comment

• mdill
                    Gone. Not Forgotten.
                    • Nov 22, 2000

The PVC valve gets manifold vacnum, so a tee of that line is pretty much the same as getting manifold vacnum from any other place, I assume they used that line because it has "handy" the exact routing does not matter, what matters is the function.
                    -----------------------------------------
                    Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                    1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                    1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                    1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                    1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                    And the other stuff that gets driven
                    ----------------------------------------

Comment

• 89wagdrvr
                      232 I6
                      • Aug 05, 2010

Not sure I understand. The metal tube coming out of the manifold is connected to a "S" shaped hose that goes into the PCV valve. The valve has a somewhat T shape. The main port then goes into the carb via a piece of VAC line. The smaller portion of the Tee looks like it runs into the charcoal canister. This line looks like it is a vapor line not vacuum. In the diagram that line runs into the charcoal canister. In my vehicle it runs into the dual cto. I'm really confused.

Comment

• tgreese
                        • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by 89wagdrvr
                        ... can't seem to find it in the diagram.
                        It's there. "TO VAC RESERVOIR"

Keep at it. As mdill says, the exact routing does not matter - what matters is the function.

If you're up to it, you can read the chapter in the FSM about emissions devices. Each device (destination) has a section that describes its function and diagnosis or repair, as needed. Just roughly knowing what all this stuff is will make the diagram less confusing.
                        Last edited by tgreese; 11-03-2011, 02:34 PM.
                        Tim Reese

Comment

• 89wagdrvr
                          232 I6
                          • Aug 05, 2010

When I look at the diagram the solid black "TO VAC RESV." line by the PCV valve goes underneath the PCV valve not into it. It looks like the white vapor line out of the PCV valve goes into the charcoal canister.

More questions. My vent on the carb from the power valve goes into the charcoal canister. Is that correct. Looking at the diagram it looks like mine is wrong.

Comment

• Rich88
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by 89wagdrvr
                            When I look at the diagram the solid black "TO VAC RESV." line by the PCV valve goes underneath the PCV valve not into it. It looks like the white vapor line out of the PCV valve goes into the charcoal canister.

More questions. My vent on the carb from the power valve goes into the charcoal canister. Is that correct. Looking at the diagram it looks like mine is wrong.
                            You are correct that the hose teeing off from the PCV valve should go to the canister. This is the line that sucks gas vapors out of the canister and sends them into the carb via the PCV valve.

The power valve vacuum should not go to the canister, but to manifold vacuum. And it happens that the line going to the vacuum reservoir is getting vacuum from the intake manifold, so you can tee into it.
                            Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                            88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                            "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• 89wagdrvr
                              232 I6
                              • Aug 05, 2010

Thanks Rich. That is what i gathered from the diagram. I got all the vac lines hooked up according to the diagram. Engine is running much smoother. I think this also may be why I failed emissions. I had no vac on power valve. Must have been running very rich. I'm going to re tune curb idle tomorrow. Hopefully I can pass smog.

Comment

Working...
                              X