• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ffdemoss
    230 Tornado
    • Apr 10, 2015

Distributor endplay

Hey everyone, I just got through competing a cam mounted distributor drive gear job on 91 Wagoneer. My last step is reinstalling the distributor. I am using new MSD gears and after installing the gear on the distributor I noticed that the end play seems excessive. It is not the original distributor, it is some type of aftermarket one and the owner installed it about 2000 miles ago. I am afraid the slop may have caused the drive gears to originally strip and would hate to have this same issue again. Any advice in what end play should be?

Also, I noticed that if I push the distributor shaft up there is a bit of binding which also tells me I need to tighten up the end play so the distributor runs smooth.

Since this isn't original, should I just buy another reman or go junk yard searching? Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by ffdemoss; 10-01-2018, 05:57 AM.
  • FSJunkie
    The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
    • Jan 09, 2011

End play of ten thousandths is about right. Upwards of thirty thousandths is still ok.
    '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

I would check the gear mesh also, using similar method as ring & pinion gears.
      Since it already ate a set of gears chances are high of a reoccurrence.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• FSJunkie
        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
        • Jan 09, 2011

That's a good idea.

Put some gear marking compound on it and rotate the engine with some resistance on the distributor to mark where the teeth make contact.
        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• ffdemoss
          230 Tornado
          • Apr 10, 2015

So I got the clearance down to about 0.010 and ran the engine for about 10 miles and pulled the distributor to inspect. No obvious excessive wear, just a light rub/removal of the black coating that came on the gears. Both appeared to be centered in the gear. I doubled check cam shaft oiling with a scope, all appears good. I threw it back together and have put another 10 miles or so with no issues. I know that's not a lot, but it's more than some people have gotten. I'm rolling with it and will report back if something goes south. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X