International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 11-30-2019, 05:54 PM
258 I6

Growing old ain’t easy. That’s the reason I sold my J-20 project and my other Waggys- I’m concentrating on building my baby, an 81 Scrambler. I’ll buy another FSJ at some point, but spend the bucks and buy one that needs a lot less work. Until then I’ll have to live vicariously through threads like yours!
1966 Waggy SOLD
1970 Waggy SOLD
1982 Scrambler SOLD
1981 Scrambler - Current Project/Keeper
Old 05-08-2022, 07:47 PM
230 Tornado

Any updates?
Old 07-01-2022, 12:01 PM
304 AMC

Have been working on it. Around redoing the kitchen from the studs out. Lotsa plumbing and electrical which I did.

Was a fiasco getting the cabinets. The wife convinced me to have them installed because it would take me two weeks and a pro would take two days. Plan was to make the appointment with him when the cabinets were a few weeks out.

So the cabinets trickled in over two months or more and the last to arrive was the sink base which was the starting point in this install. Then couldn't get him in so it took longer than it would me.

Overall over eight months for the job. Did get a fair amount done on the Wag working around the kitchen but I can't believe how long it's been since I posted here.

Anyway, I got the seats in. Bought some Lexus seats with recline and tilt. Reasons for the swap were the lack of headrests and recline with the old seats.

Set them up with the seats at the same height when in the middle of their travel to figger out the mounting. At this point plan was to shorten the back before reupholstery:

Removed the mounting brackets and made a frame to simulate the bases:

So I snuck this post in instead of working but I've got pics uploaded and will keep updating this. Gotta figger out how, again, to reduce the pics.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Last edited by SJTD : 07-01-2022 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:57 PM
258 I6

Nice work going on, and hope you get the kitchen finished, as we want to see more of you here

Have an '84 GWag too, but I like the OEM seats, as more comfortable than most of these new harder ones with wings.

Pic sizes look ok to me.

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified
Old 07-01-2022, 01:31 PM
304 AMC

Ouch! First cut. No turning back now.

Tried to follow the original angle of the base and get it as low as possible. I think it ended up with new seating surface about a half inch higher than the old at nominal adjustments.

Cut a piece out about an inch from the lines. The screws are holding a form in back to hammer the flange against.

Completed flanges for the new piece to sit against.

Cut an insert out of a piece of 3"x3" tubing.

And welded it in. Used Mig rather than TIG so nothing to see here until after grinding.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Last edited by SJTD : 07-01-2022 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:44 PM
304 AMC

Glad to see you are back on the Wagoneer!

Is the flat you put in the trans tunnel where the seat bracket will attach? That seems quite high compared to the original mounts.

Did you test fit to get a sense of how high the seat bottoms will be once mounted? I am facing this issue with my grand cherokee seats mounted on corbeau brackets. I have them about as tight as I can get them adapted to the original mounting holes, but the seat is still too high.

Here are my efforts, I haven't cut sheet metal on it yet, but that may be in the cards..

https://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/show...=185817&page=3
The "through the windshield" photo makes it appear the drivers seat is ok, but the steering wheel is almost between my knees with the seat at its lowest position and the tilt wheel all the way up.

I am contemplating cutting the rear bracket feet down so the back of the seat sits lower than the front to see if that helps before taking the cutoff wheel to the floorboards. Where I need relief, there isn't much clearance above the transfer case, so it would not buy me much.

It appears yours may sit even higher. Could be optical illusion from photos. I am very interested in how your adaptation turns out.

Wishing you the best. b

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Last edited by JPSwapMohn : 07-02-2022 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:52 AM
304 AMC

They're done, I'll have to hurry up with the posting so you can see the finished pics. I haven't tried the column/wheel with the seats installed. Being a good Engineer I relied on the measuring and comparing of the seating surface to get it right before getting out the Sawzall.

Maybe that was a bad Idea but I couldn't get them much lower anyway since the back of the mounting rails are almost on the floor at the rear of the travel and I tried to maintain the same slope of the rails between the original and new.

I think I'm going to get a Cherokee column rather than the kluge I cobbled together. I guess I'd better hurry up with that but I guess I can stick the original in there for testing. Since I was a Test Engineer.

Last edited by SJTD : 07-05-2022 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:36 PM
304 AMC

Made two sets of outer mounts that match the height and angle of the inner.

Installed the two outer mounts on the right slde. Got out the laser level and plumbed it left-right to match the leveled vehicle then picked up the angle and height of the new outer mounts.

Then shot a line on the tunnel that would be the base of the inner mounting surface.

Followed that with a Sharpie and ended up with this.

Which is not actually where you bend. That's where you want the material to end up after the bend. The bend starts lower. A sheet metal guy could tell you how to do it right. I made a test bend in some scrap and measured where to start based on that.

Old 07-04-2022, 11:51 AM
304 AMC

I'm currently working towards getting this thing ready for carpet and need to install the trans cover but before I do let's take a look at the present through a window on 20-25 years ago.

At that time the plan was to use an NP435 transmission with an Advance Adapters auxiliary trans. I had the adapter to the motor. Then I found out about the then relatively new NV4500 five speed and decided that was the trans for me. No adapter was available for it so I made one. Made a wood pattern and had it cast. Then machined it at Glendale College during the night classes. Used an old 24" LeBlonde that none of the kids wanted to use so I could leave set up for a few weeks without a conflict.

Installed it back then to complete the drive train installation but didn't didn't have the proper clutch bolts. Removed it a few days ago it to correct that and took a few pics. Still have the pattern and will add a pic of that next time I'm taking pichers.

What the heck, went out and took some pics. I'm really proud of this and intend to be buried with it. I think I'll make it into a clock until then.

Last edited by SJTD : 07-04-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:10 PM
350 Buick

Its been a while. How did the colorplast headliner board work out?

1983 Wagoneer Limeted, 169k 360 AMC, NP 229, 727,
MODS: 2003 Durango bucket seats:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=159286
Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925
Old 07-05-2022, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
. ..I'm really proud of this and intend to be buried with it. I think I'll make it into a clock until then. . ..
HAHAHAHAHA!! Nothing wrong with that! Amazing!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
00 Baby Cherokee
Old 07-05-2022, 11:16 PM
304 AMC

I only finished the headliner a few weeks ago, till then the panels were sitting on the roof. The corroplast is thicker than the original stuff so it was somewhat difficult to install the center divider. Also the visor cups need to be spaced out. They like to crack with the stock material so they wouldn't have lasted. I actually used the aluminum cups from BJ's. I'll put up some pics soon.

But first, more pichers of the right seat mount.

I don't have a sheet metal brake.

And finished up with an improvised press brake.

A little welding and grinding and it's done.

In the end I had to do a little shimming so the inner mounts matched the outer.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:58 AM
304 AMC

Didn't have a pic of the installed seats handy last night but here it is. I think it's at the middle of the height and tilt adjustments. Not sure about forward/back position. Recline seems about comfy.

The backs are quite a bit taller than stock but at this time I don't think I'll cut them down. I don't think they look too tall or disproportionate. I'll have to ask the upholsterer if it would cost any more.

What are side airbags worth?

Old 07-06-2022, 11:03 AM
258 I6

At least take the head rests off, as they really look tall to me.....but your rig

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified
Old 07-06-2022, 11:14 AM
304 AMC

Lack of head rests was one of the reasons I got rid of the stock seats. Maybe make them a bit flatter?

Have to ask the upholsterer if modifying the backs or headrests would make it much more difficult for him since the existing covers won't be quite right to use as patterns.

Old 07-08-2022, 11:10 AM
304 AMC

just my worthless 2 cents,....

i like headrests too

i call seats with no head rest "back breakers "

looks like if you were hit from behind,... a seat with no headrest would break your spine !

not to mention the whiplash effect.

and the headrest seats in FSJs, etc., just look better to me.

nice build.
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 07-08-2022, 02:50 PM
304 AMC

Yeah, they went to headrests for a reason and it wasn't comfort or to save money. Who drives with his head actually against it?

Old 07-08-2022, 10:20 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
Yeah, they went to headrests for a reason and it wasn't comfort or to save money. Who drives with his head actually against it?
Depends a lot on the headrest. In Recaro racing seats for instance, everyone does. And in the new cars that the headrest comes forward and forces your head way too far forward if you lean back, people do that too. If you're gonna do high-back buckets, I prefer buckets that hold you in and support your whole body (while still being comfortable for long trips), including your head. But I like the bench, or on the stock non-bench, pre-85 rigs, I like the low-backs with no headrests. Yes whiplash can be an issue, but the absolute worst you can make it is with highbacks or a headrest that's adjusted too low; it that lines up with your neck and not your head, you have a serious safety problem. Just my thoughts though, with a few facts mixed in there. It's all about personal preference, not gonna rip on anyone who wants full modern seats in a FSJ.

Also you could argue that it WAS to save money; they didn't want to get sued for not having standard, required by law safety equipment on their trucks...
open knuckle D44 front (disc brakes)
6-lug conversion rear
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...79#post1734879

Previous Rig:
Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer
.030 over 401, TBI, headers
3" exhaust
31x10.5s
2" rear lift blocks
custom headliner
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...77#post1734777

"The engineering side of me says that it's more than strong enough. The redneck side of me says that it's going to fall apart and I need to beef it up."--somebody I know
Old 07-10-2022, 10:10 PM
304 AMC

Some pics of the headliner.

The rear dome light was pretty yellowed so I replced ith with this much brighter LED. Was white, had to take it apart to paint it to sorta match the dash.

Couldn't reach the switch with the tailgate down so I moved it.

With the thicker headliner board material and the foam under it the visor cups didn't seat properly and would've broken when the visors were tightened down so I put spacers under the cups. Also got the aluminum cups from BJ's to play it safe. Since I cut the holes in the boards smaller than stock and right where they belonged I was able to trim the flanges on the cups so they looked a little better. Put spacers under the screws in the center piece too. It was in pretty bad shape from being tightened down with no support under the screws. Fortunately it's made of styrene or abs which is glueable or solvent-weldable.

Have to revover the visors before i can complete the installation.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:11 PM
304 AMC

Looks great! Those seats definitely have a much higher inner mount than the GC seats I used. And your outer mounts are lower than the Corbaeu brackets I used. Looks like your measurements worked well.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD