• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Revhendo
    232 I6
    • Sep 11, 2011

Fishing poles?

Morning folks,
    Quick question. I'm looking for ideas on carrying fishing poles with the Waggy. It's not usually a problem with just Deb and I, but when we bring the niece and nephew, having the poles sticking up between the seats gets uncomfortable. Or at least inconvenient. Any ideas? Any safe way to use the roof rack?

Oh, and shameless Thanksgiving fishing pics...

Rev.

OK, who put the magnet under my moral compass?

1988 Grand Wagoneer. Going for the ultimate fishing rig.
    I named her Tinkerbell after my cat. She always demands my attention and whenever I show her love, I come away bloody.
  • donniesoup
    232 I6
    • Dec 17, 2005

I have a double rifle rack on the rear side windows but its a Cherokee. You can make carriers with pvc pipe and glue threaded ends on and put on roof rack.
    80 chief wt
    94 cherokee
    08 wrangler rubicon
    11 liberty

Comment

• lunchbox1671
      350 Buick
      • Sep 22, 2010

If they are 2 piece poles, take them apart. You can mount them to the headliner also, if you don't mind screwing/gluing velcro straps or something of that nature to the headliner...

1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief Sport 4 door N/T.
      -AMC 360 with RV cam
      -T-15A, Dana 20
      -Dana 44's, 3.54's,
      -32x11.50r16's

Comment

• itselliot
        350 Buick
        • Aug 28, 2010

how about some thinwall PVC pipe and endcaps fastened to the roofrack with a bungee cord??

OOPS, just saw the previous post......lol
        Last edited by itselliot; 11-27-2011, 10:48 AM.
        If the PM's are full,...try e mail!
        [email protected]
        616 four 03 44 0 five
        '78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
        "90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
        '78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.

Comment

• KJ Ryu
          350 Buick
          • Sep 06, 2008

Originally posted by donniesoup
          I have a double rifle rack on the rear side windows but its a Cherokee.
          That's what I have in my Wag, too. Gotta watch yourself a little getting in the back seat past my long pole but, as long as I put it in the top of the rack, it's far enough away from the heads of any rear seat passengers. The kids' poles aren't as long so they don't encroach into the back seat area.
          Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled.
          1977 J10, 2v304, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly Occasional driving!
          1978 SJ Wagoneer, 360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall NOT Running
          1977 J10 4v401, TH400, BW1339, mostly stock DD

Originally posted by Mars
          One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil

Comment

• Al Johnson
            350 Buick
            • May 29, 2002

On my old waggy years ago, I bought some rod holders from the sporting goods section and pop-riveted them to the rear window sill and roof edge at the back driver's side window. Worked good. They were this kind:
            Now running! a 360 GW engine in my Wrangler. Former owner of \'78 Wag with 401 and \'84 GW engine donor, RIP.

Comment

• Captain Obvious
              232 I6
              • Mar 18, 2010

Originally posted by donniesoup
              . You can make carriers with pvc pipe and glue threaded ends on and put on roof rack.

What I have seen, also sometimes pickups inside the topper. I am thinking of trying to build something that goes INSIDE the passenger area so I can leave my fly rods assembled and carry around for the random fishing stop.
              84 FSJ - 148k on the original 360 and tranny. Fully loaded with sun roof.

Comment

• hookedup50
                350 Buick
                • Aug 07, 2010

I have always used a ski rack for the roof of my wag. It tightens on the rain gutter.
                Jennifer: 89 GW 360/727/D44 2"lift 31" BF KM2
                Harriett: 97 chevy 2500 ext cab P/U 6.5 TD
                Lorraine: 73 Datsun 240z
                07 Colorado
                http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/hookedup50/

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                  Señor Jackhead
                  • Aug 21, 2002

I used to haul mine on the front bumper.
                  Flint
                  Ran when parked.
                  http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                  88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                  76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                  http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• draglink
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 17, 2008

I haul fishing rods to the boat everyweekend. I have ski racks on all my vehicles for that one purpose. The soft rubber squeezes them in place and doesnt mark them up at all

you can see them on the rack in this pic...they are open with rods out

better shot looking back at front of GW, racks are closed....dont have a picture with any rods in them

'86 GW 6" Rustys, 1 1/2" BJs shackles, 33 BFGs

Comment

• Chuck Brown
                      327 Rambler
                      • Feb 17, 2008

Heres what I do for everything from my shotgun barrels, fishing poles and arrows:

You dont need to drop a lot of coin on one of those bike messenger transport tubes or get robbed by the hunting supply store

(and yes, thats Chuck Brown in the video.)

Chuck Brown
                      Life may be hard, but it sure as hell beats the alternative.
                      Works in progress:
                      1977 Cherokee Chief; 401/Auto/6" BJ's Lift/Cliffhanger/Stripped out Interior
                      1964 J200; 360, .030 over, Edelbrock Intake and Carb, 6" lift

Comment

• Hook574
                        232 I6
                        • Nov 02, 2011

Try this out I used these in a Suburban and they worked well. Didn't need to worry about somebody walking off with you gear either.

Comment

• Revhendo
                          232 I6
                          • Sep 11, 2011

Man, these are all great ideas. Really got the brain spinning now.
                          I watched Chuck Brown's video when I got home from a (insert favorite curse word here) day at work and I would recommend his vid on entertainment value alone. For some strange reason I was getting the urge to add a compressed air cylinder to one end of the tube after the arrows were dropped in. Wierd, huh?

Thanks again for the response, more ideas are always welcome. I never in a million years would have thought "gun rack", but it makes sense. Another in a long line of uses for PVC pipe. Ski racks (never considered that would work). A pretty inexpensive store bought unit. Fulsizjeep's ready to go bumper mount (and a fishing pole slalom course out in front?).
                          I never conceived of how many ways it could be done.
                          Rev.

OK, who put the magnet under my moral compass?

1988 Grand Wagoneer. Going for the ultimate fishing rig.
                          I named her Tinkerbell after my cat. She always demands my attention and whenever I show her love, I come away bloody.

Comment

Working...
                          X