• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

The airports are dead!

Flew from LAX to Philly via Charlotte on Monday (2 March) and it was eerie how dead all 3 airports were. They were not ghost towns but it did not feel like a normal Monday in the airports.

Tonight I checked into my flight home and the plane is at least 1/3 empty, maybe 1/2. There was no line at check in and there was no line going into security at all at 3pm. There are TSA and airline people walking around with nothing to do because there is so few people here.

I assume it's coronavirus keeping people from flying. Crazy....
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • MysticRob
    350 Buick
    • Nov 26, 2019

Buddy of mine just made reservations to fly home and he saved 50% versus buying just a few days ago. I'm glad I don't have to fly for work for another month, but I figure by then they may just cancel everything because our govt agencies are too stupid to do anything right. I'm betting we see a nation-wide Katrina-like debacle soon.
    --Rob--
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Yeah, flights are DDDddddiiirrrrt cheap right now.

Check this out, this was my flight last night. I like to be the last one on the plane; they closed the door right behind me. This flight was MAYBE 25% full. It was Philly to LAX so not like a weird route to some podunck town.

I took this picture looking down at ticketing around 2pm. This place should be hoppin at 2pm.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Ristow
        • Jan 20, 2006

ooooh the airports' lookin' dead...lookin' dead..
        the airports lookin' dead after

NINE CORONA'S!

nine nine nine nine nine WOO!

na-na-na-NINE coronas!
        Originally posted by Hankrod
        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

It's pathetic how blown out of proportion all this is.
          Seriously the virus was likely in US very shortly after the China outbreak.
          With air travel what it is and the chinese delay in announcing it.
          Probably a whole crapload of people got it/spread it/recovered from it already.
          Testing wasn't happening so likely waaaay more folks have already gone through it without even knowing.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Ristow
            • Jan 20, 2006

last week it was 6 deaths corona,74 flu.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

I am soooooo not worried about CoronaV.

I had 3 seats to myself on top of the no line at ticketing and no line at security. AHHhhhhh..... We should have these "pandemics" more often.

My wife just bought a round trip ticket to Hawaii (from Burbank) for less than $300. That's usually a $600+ ticket. Round trip from Burbank to Portland was $115 (that's cheaper than the normal bus fares!) last night when we checked.

If anyone is planning any travel in the next year, BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW!!!
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• letank
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                I am soooooo not worried about CoronaV.

If anyone is planning any travel in the next year, BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW!!!

May be ... but be careful, China is laundering its money... to prevent contamination... time to use plastic...

The virus can survive up to 9 days without a host... on any surface.

Children seems to be more resistant than old folks.

Travelling... probably not, being stuck outside one's roaming range.... will surely be unpleasant.
                Michel
                74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Crankyolman
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 27, 2017

I'm pretty certain I had it in January Shortly before it was officially here but I had been working some of the China flights. I was off work for a week with an on again off again fever and something similar to the pneumonia I used to get every winter. It took 6 weeks for the severe coughing to begin clearing up and I am still coughing in the mornings and easily short on breath.

It sucks and it's certainly something I would recommend avoiding if you can.

It's also putting a hurting on the airline industry and will likely land a lot of good people out of work.
                  '72 J4500

Comment

• Ristow
                    • Jan 20, 2006

the bigger story is Chinas' engineered virus experiment got out of the lab.

Comment

• Crankyolman
                      350 Buick
                      • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by Ristow

But did it escape or was it released?

Think about it, if leaders of a country with little regard for human life had an overpopulation problem it might make sense to them to create and release a virous that kills off the old and sick but leaves the young and healthy relatively unscathed.

and what happened to Covid-1 through 18?

I'm going to go put my gold foil hat back on now.
                      '72 J4500

Comment

• Ristow
                        • Jan 20, 2006

they got the delivery side down. carriers don't have the symptoms.

the payload side will likely get tweaked.

foil hat? yeah,China probably is telling us the open truth on all this....

Comment

• SJTD
                          304 AMC
                          • Apr 26, 2012

Seems to me if you have an overpopulation problem killing off the old and sick won't do much for it. In a short time you'll have more old and sick.

You need to get rid of x percent of the whole range of the population to have a lasting effective.
                          Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• letank
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Jun 03, 2002

Can you communicate any credible sources?

Anything is possible, could be the work of some sick minds against their leaders. We had sarin gas in Tokyo subway in 95... Ammonium nitrate at the Oklahoma fed. building in 95

The virus is 80% similar to the one found in bats. As for the old and sick, yes there is a trend as the older folks have underlining weaknesses such as diabetes, heart disease and smoking, -Chinese smoke cigarettes- . The interesting fact is that women are more resistant than men, this is due to a more responsive immune system.

As for numbers it is hard to tell because nobody knows exactly how many people carry the virus, some are healthy carriers and are not counted in the total number so the percentage can vary from 18% to less than 1%.

As usual washing hand with soap or gel, and avoiding touching face is the first line of defense.

I feel sad for the passengers and the crew stuck on the cruise ship off the coast of SF, The ship was in a holding pattern saturday night off ocean beach with all lights on, but gone this morning. It will be back Monday to the port of Oakland according to Sunday morning news.
                            Michel
                            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• letank
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Jun 03, 2002

finding Real sources: The paper that you may have received has reached my mailbox coming from the other side of the globe, it is well presented, but most of the references lead to a 404 not found link, so it seems like a voluntary misuse of cornerstone publications, the only real link is below

in 2015:

The other working link is questionable
                              Michel

Comment

Working...
                              X