International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 04-03-2002, 11:57 AM

My speedo has not worked since I bought my Wag. Tonight I decided to take a look at the end that goes into the transfer case. Well...interestingly enough, the end that goes into the speedo gear in the transfer case is almost completely round. There is a small portion that is still square far away from the end of the cable. I took the cable off the cruise control unit and found that it does not turn when removed from the cruise control. This is what I found previously which made me wonder why the speedo was not working. After looking a little closer, I noticed that the further you pull the cable up to seat on the cruise control transducer, the more the inner cable is pulled from the gear in the trans. Attaching the cable to the transducer puts enough tension on the inner cable to pull it (the last remaining square bit of cable that is) out of the speedo gear in the transmission. That lets the speedo gear turn freely without turning the cable. How common of a problem is that? I'm guessing the speedo gear in the trans is metal and not plastic like a GM product. Thats the only way I can figure it would wear like that.

Anyway...before anyone asks. Yes, I did check the transducer and turning the input side turns the output side and will make the speedometer register. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now...where do i get a new speedo cable??
Old 04-03-2002, 12:18 PM
Master Mechanic

Wink

I had a similar situation but it turned out after further investigation that the end of the cable was actually broke off in the gear on the trans, that's why it was short. I think I used a magnetic pickup to pull the piece out and went down to Autozone and bought a universal cable (long enough to allow for lift ) and plugged it in. Now have speedo for about $12

P.J.