International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 02-03-2012, 11:51 PM
304 AMC

speedo cable mod?

building a 4.6 stroker engine with MPFI. Part of the wire harness is a speed sensor that on the newer little jeeps, screws into where the speeo cable would go on the old Jeeps. Well since I have the older, I need a sensor that will do both, speedo cable and electrical conn.

I could have bought one from Hesco, they are proud of theirs, so I decided I should be able to make my own. Bought the speed sencor for a 91 Wranger with a 4 cylinder, thats the only year I beleve that has the sensor and cable unit. So, the sensor will screw onto where the speedo cable goes, thing is, the threads on the other side are smaller in diamater then the speedo cable.

well after a few months of looking, I found a speedo cable for the sensor, screws onto the sensor but, the part that goes to the speedo, snaps on, I beleve in our Jeeps, it screws on righ?

so my thought, take off the part that screws on to the sensor, take the end off my speedo cable on the Jeep that screws onto the transfers case, and swap the two and find something recrimp everything back on.

can I do that??

07 Sea Ray 205

71 F-250 Camper Special 390

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:50 PM
350 Buick

I'd be interested to see what you come up with. I'm driving by RPM's sice I put the 205 in. The Ford cable is not compatable with our guages.

Military guys- Check out www.MilitaryJeepers.com

'89 GW deceased
Ford 4spd swap Np435/205
Lifted/stretched on 36's/4.10 thick gears/spooled rear

'86 CJ-7 Renegade, Restored, original steel.
new Built TBI 258/Np435/D300 twin-sticks/Waggy D44's
37" Super Swampers and lots of goodies!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Big Meanie

There is an aluminum screw on adapter for the mechanical/electric sensor. I didn't look too hard for one though. I used the end of an extra cable I had laying around that screws into the back of the speedometer. I used a drill bit just big enough to ream the crimp out so I could cram the cable housing back in and then recrimped it. Lubed the drive cable up and fished it back through.
he's such big meanie that way...
please don't tell him i said that....