International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 09-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Gear Head

Shipping help plz

I have a lot of FSJ parts I want to sell to you guys, but i'm not sure how to go about it.

How do I get shipping prices by weight? Do I bring the items to the post office to be weighed or do I need to weigh them myself? Also, can I get boxes from there or do I need to find my own?

LOL I know they're stupid questions but I'm 25 and my generation doesn't use real mail anymore.
Durham, CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julep4000
Kudos, sir... I didn't plan on coffee coming out of my nose today.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:34 PM

If its small things the USPS offers those flat rate boxes.
https://shop.usps.com/wcsstore/Posta...ioritymailFRB/

And UPS and FEDEX have rates you can look up on line depending on weight and size I belive

Last edited by Greeeeenberg : 09-29-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:40 PM
FSJ Maniac

Weigh it yourself and estimate here:

http://postcalc.usps.gov/

As mentioned they also offer 3 different sized flat-rate boxes. The boxes are free, just go to your local PO to get them or order online.

Also sign up for a USPS online account and print shipping labels. You'll save a little money that way and they offer free pickup- no waiting at the PO.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:48 AM
232 I6

In general Fed Ex Ground will be cheaper than UPS by about 10%, but depends on where and what you are shipping. The length plus width plus height affects the cost sometimes more than total weight.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:57 AM

Remember if you use "used" boxes to remove all previous labels. Don't use boxes that have chemical data or the like on them , your packages will be held up for inspection or not ship at all.
Tape the boxes up good. I usually try to print the shipping address in fine black marker then use clear tape over it to protect it from rain or tearing off. Put your return address on the box in case it needs to come back. Don't be afraid to use some newspaper or bubble stuff for delicate stuff. Keep your boxes square and all flaps taped down good. Get a hand held tape dispenser thing it will make life easier.

Get your money first in good currency like paypal( this helps a bunch), or USPO Money Order or concealed cash if it is a small amount.

I use USPO for most things unless it is heavy like over 50 lbs or so. They are about the cheapest and easiest for me to use.

Get ready for 80% of your request for parts to fall to the wayside because of shipping charges that the almost new owner doesn't want to pay.

Stuff that take a big box but weigh very little( like a grill or chrome trim) will be charged more because of the room it takes up. A grill can cost close to $100 to ship and weigh only 10 pounds. A 30 pound box 15"x15" may only be $30. There are cheaper alternatives shipping charge wise but going to a bus station or whatever can eat up all that cost in a hurry.

If you are going to be selling all the time I would suggest a shipping account in your name with UPS or Fed Ex. Not sure how to go about that but I know it is done.
1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Dexron Impaired

The bigger items get to be a pain, but alot of stuff can go via USPS. There flat rate boxes make it a breeze, or you can go to their website and estimate mailing costs.

You'll just need the buyer's zipcode to do so. A good box and plenty of tape. Lots of tape. Ask Hoot sometime about the air breather I sent him.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:43 AM
350 Buick

Motors, trannies, axles, and the like. Better price on shipping freight from a business to business. bumpers, windshields, seats. should go on a bus. small items like others said before USPS. If shipping a used carb put it in a couple of not for vegetable zip lock bags after wrapping it in bubble wrap. or the you will have to ship other that USPS. Ask me how I know.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:31 AM

Just deliver, ill leave the light on for you.

Flat rate boxes FTW. Anything else just post it as pick up only and let the buyer decide how he want to get it.. just my .02

The Hoop: '79 Jeep Wagoneer, 'Kenny'.. we're getting along just fine.