International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 07-12-2010, 10:01 PM
327 Rambler

Wood Grain Molding Restoration?

Hello, I was reading an ad online for a grand wagoneer. The truck was for sale and the wood grain looked perfect. It said in the ad the wood grain molding was "restored" back to original condition. Anyone heard of this? Maybe it was stripped and repainted or had some new vinyl laid onto it? Ive searched the threads here on this topic and there isn't much.

I noticed the wood grain is around $500 otherwise, so some people might be interested to know how that works. I have lots of questions (me -->)

1 Anyone done this or have any ideas?
2 Also, what is the proper procedure for removal/install of wood grain molding?
4 Can the wood grain laminate be replaced WITHOUT removing the wood grain molding?
5 What have other ppl done to restore the wood grain molding?

In case you were wondering, YES I wanna redo the wood grain on my wag
Old 07-13-2010, 12:31 AM
304 AMC

Temps425, There are probably as many ways to remove woodgrain as there are McDonald's in the country. Who knows? As for renewing the woodgrain trim strips, I just don't know. Perhaps there are ways and I, for one, would like to do so if it's possible. I have all of my trim strips except one and I'm sure it could be found. I'd like to know where the guys that renew FSJs, like Wagon Master & GrandWagoneers.com get their beautiful woodgrain and trim strips.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Good Lovin', Good Beer, and a Grand Wagoneer. What more could one want?

1984 Grand Wagoneer My therapy
1988 GMC Suburban soon to be retired. . .SOLD
2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS/LX Wifes DD
2003 Dodge TD 4x4 long bed
Old 07-13-2010, 01:20 AM
232 I6

Our "new" 88 Grand Wag had it's new side trim put on very lazily (is that a word?) Whoever did it did not keep it straight and level. As an artist it irritates me very much as the rest of the Jeep looks wonderful!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Master Mechanic

i know that wagonmaster has recovered the existing wood vinyl - yes, that's applied new woodgrain vinyl over the top of the old, rather than removing everything. he'd lay the vinyl over the top & then just trim it with a fine knife along the inside edges of the molding.

& (the late) saul was planning to recover the old molding with new 3m adhesives however i am not sure how far he got & if the outcome would be any good anyway. i think this would be a difficult task & would be better accomplished by a professional.

with regards to removing the molding, there are steps to follow:

- weather must be warm so that molding is pliable & not brittle.
- drill out the pop rivets, keep the little circle tabs
- heat the trim with a heat gun, but do not scortch it.
- use a plastic putty knife & push along under the molding, lifting a little bit away at a time - ie heat, then lift away..... heat & lift away etc...... but then gently press it back to the metal so that it doesnt just hang off there - keeping it back onto the body whilst you proceed helps maintain its shape.
- when you have completed the section take it off the vehicle & lay it flat.

removing the old adhesive from the back side of the molding again involves the heat gun or a red heat lamp.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Grease Monkey

I checked with woodgrain4wagons.com and the guy says he can restore woodgrain trim. He does the old aluminum trim for station wagons and has a process for the plastic trim on the Grand Wagoneers. I am planning on sending mine to him once I get it off and clean it up. Seems to be a good guy. It may be a little while, but I will post the results.

Last edited by Hunter Green 91 : 07-13-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:33 AM
327 Rambler

poppaluv, thats too bad someone went to all the effort of likely spending good $$ reinstalling the wood grain and didnt take the time to get it level. I think I would use a marker to line the wood grain first, or if I was painting, I would tape the wood grain up for a couple days, make sure its perfect, then mark it, take it off and re apply.

18cherokee- yeah, I see the woodgrain at BJs for $275+shipping, would be worth it not having to redo the trim, but it does not have the rounded corners...more squared off. I really wanna keep the wag original.

What is the reinstall procedure?

Last edited by temps425 : 07-13-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWDriver
Temps425, There are probably as many ways to remove woodgrain as there are McDonald's in the country. Who knows? As for renewing the woodgrain trim strips, I just don't know. Perhaps there are ways and I, for one, would like to do so if it's possible. I have all of my trim strips except one and I'm sure it could be found. I'd like to know where the guys that renew FSJs, like Wagon Master & GrandWagoneers.com get their beautiful woodgrain and trim strips.

Best of luck and keep us posted.
From what I have seen on those web sites they start with low mileage very good condition GWS take off the trim and just repaint withiout removing the vinyl. The original vinyl isnt made anymore so whatever you find will be close but not original. As far as the trim I think BJs has trim that needs no rivets and is thinner than original.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurinski
From what I have seen on those web sites they start with low mileage very good condition GWS take off the trim and just repaint withiout removing the vinyl. The original vinyl isnt made anymore so whatever you find will be close but not original. As far as the trim I think BJs has trim that needs no rivets and is thinner than original.

x2. Just got my woodgrain kit in Cherry Oak (seemed the closest to original color to me) from BJ's the other day...haven't unrolled any of the woodgrain yet but the moulding looks very nice and eliminates the pop rivets. It is thinner in width but its going to work great for me. I fully recommend...

As for grandwagoneers.com....I sure would love to know the details of his restos myself. I saw one of his rigs for sale on Autotrader here not too long ago to the tune of $69,000+. It was so "new" it even had an odometer that read 2,000 some odd miles on it.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:56 PM
327 Rambler

Yes, I saw that...I'm thinking about just taking mine off, and doing the vinyl and just putting it back on and try to get out the ripples w/ a heat gun. Only one piece has fading on it, so I'll find that piece. Can someone tell me how to save the plugs and properly remove the molding so it can be reinstalled? Thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Grease Monkey

Ive been kicking around this idea as well. The GW is going to go for paint soon and not sure what I want to do about the wood grain. the stuff that is on there isnt to bad so I may just pull the trim off and have the paint shop paint around the wood grain by masking off. THen using BJ's trim after its done.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 AM
Gear Head

Remove all the wood grain if you are going to get the kit from BJ's. Have the paint shop paint the whole thing then you gwood kit will have new clean surface to hold onto. This is what I am planning on doing.

MAHA
Old 08-04-2010, 05:46 AM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahamotorworks
Remove all the wood grain if you are going to get the kit from BJ's. Have the paint shop paint the whole thing then you gwood kit will have new clean surface to hold onto. This is what I am planning on doing.

MAHA

Good advice, thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:59 PM

Hunter Green 91,
Have you heard back from the woodgrain for wagons guy? Any ballpark figure on how much for his work?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:14 PM

I personally plan on removing the old sun baked fake wood and making my own out of nice figured solid wood veneer with a heavy boat clear on top. Haven't figured out what specie I want yet but I will be nice rich and dark. Shouldn't be too hard but that's probably because I have a fully stocked wood shop available. I also have a truck with the thin strip not a full woody. The prices for the wood kits I have seen online are outragous and it's usually for some cheap bs laminate.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgelormine
Hunter Green 91,
Have you heard back from the woodgrain for wagons guy? Any ballpark figure on how much for his work?

Thanks!

I haven't sent the trim to him yet, but he gave me a price in the $700.00 range for the whole set of trim. You can email him with questions on his website.

My progress has slowed due to work and kids. I will contact him again before I send my trim and get another quote.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:49 PM
FSJ Maniac

Another option could be in a store like Kroger (Fred Meyer here in OR), they sell some 3M Wood decals, for a house use, and could be used in a Wagoneer. I never look at it close, and I don't know dimension, but looks not to bad.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:25 PM

I bought repro woodgrain from stripeman.com Looks very good and is printed on 3M transfer.

http://www.stripeman.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=WGD

The original print from AMC was about 4' and every panel got a different corner of that print (if you look closely to your woodgrain, you can see the repeat).
Taking the old stuff of with a heat gun and peel-off gently, step-by-step.

The moulding is difficult to get back in shape, once it has been deformed.
Heating it makes it more flexible, but it doesn't get back in its original shape automatically..

The only problem is finding the moulding tape with correct width. 3M has it, but has a max.width of 1 inch and the woodgrain requires 1,4 inch. Anybody has an idea where to get it?
Old 09-04-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm being stalked by Steve... Save me!

Anyone use this Woodgrain?

Just curious if anyone has used this vendor? If so, what did you think?

Old 09-05-2010, 12:42 PM
327 Rambler

I bought their vinyl and was very dissapointed, sent it back. It looked like drawer liner from the 70s. good 3m quality though, they ahve other colors, but i greatly disliked that one. They are a good vendor, fast and curteous. I may try one of their different wood grain patters. Nelson Olivias woodgrain kits are AMAZING. They look so great, better than stock and they are precut for around $350.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresdawaves
I personally plan on removing the old sun baked fake wood and making my own out of nice figured solid wood veneer with a heavy boat clear on top. Haven't figured out what specie I want yet but I will be nice rich and dark. Shouldn't be too hard but that's probably because I have a fully stocked wood shop available. I also have a truck with the thin strip not a full woody. The prices for the wood kits I have seen online are outragous and it's usually for some cheap bs laminate.

I have thought about doing this too, just have bot found the time to try.

Current Jeep Status: Gone, but not forgotten.