• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bkilby
    350 Buick
    • Jan 10, 2016

LS Swap Radiators?

Any suggestions for radiators? I'm not doing an LS swap but the LS radiator should work, or I can make it work. So who has these radiators? I know about BJ's and Novak, who else? Who makes their radiators? I want good quality, not Chinese stuff. It needs to be cross flow, both inlet and outlet on PS. Thanks!
    1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!
  • Pillow
    232 I6
    • Jun 19, 2017

Why change the radiator? Look at Jaguars that Run (JTR) for adapters if needed. Also the top hose is nice to have a breather/burp bung on it.

Use the Truck water pump and the stock Truck upper hose to go wherever you want.

(not I have not done this in a Jeep, but I kept my stock radiator in my 71 C-10 swap. Because works and cheap. Mostly because it works, it's sized for a truck after all.)
    1983 Cherokee Pioneer - in progress LS 5.3 w LS9 cam, NP208, & SM465
    1968 J2000 Gladiator truck (organ donor for Cherokee & J2000)
    1973 J4000 truck - potential Gambler 500 or farm beast.

Comment

• bkilby
      350 Buick
      • Jan 10, 2016

Well, I am using the truck water pump on my truck engine. The stock upper hose is about a foot too long too. Btw, this is for a Hemi swap, not an LS.

Comment

• yossarian19
        258 I6
        • Nov 13, 2016

Originally posted by bkilby
        Well, I am using the truck water pump on my truck engine. The stock upper hose is about a foot too long too. Btw, this is for a Hemi swap, not an LS.
        It could be for just about anything and my answer would be the same: build the hoses you need for your radiator if it's in good shape. If you have to replace it anyway, then shop for the best option. I'd look at the Summit Racing house brand aluminum LS swap radiators.

Comment

• bkilby
          350 Buick
          • Jan 10, 2016

I guess I don't know what you're getting at. What I need is a cross flow radiator with the top and bottom hoses on the passenger side. Right now, my stock radiator is a down flow with the top at PS and the lower at DS. I can't mod that radiator because the lower tank tappers up where the lower hose connection needs to be and there's no room for it. Besides that, it's a down flow core so from what I see, all the hot water will stay on one side of the radiator instead of flowing across, helping the cooling.

If I'm missing something, please tell me but I don't see a down flow radiator working properly. Seems like a waste of time and efforts.

Comment

• cosworth
            232 I6
            • Feb 07, 2017

I just had my stock Gladiator radiator modified to exactly what you are talking about. I just finished putting a Lsx engine in my truck.

Had a local radiator shop cut and braze the lower outlet to the passenger side. I know it tappers but it will fit.

The shop is very reputable and assures me I will not see any cooling issues.

Comment

• yossarian19
              258 I6
              • Nov 13, 2016

What I'm getting at is this: radiators are more expensive than building a hose with a few curves in it or size changes to get from the engine you are using to the radiator you've got. A downflow radiator will probably work just fine for you.
              If you can't find a route that would work for hoses to the stock radiator locations, then you can find a radiator at summit or have your stock radiator modified - though a fully re cored radiator is more expensive than buying new.
              Basically, I'm just pitching to you that you try the cheap / practical route before searching for a custom radiator for your engine swap because A.) It's cheaper and B. ) You may not find a radiator that does what you need and C.) because of "b", and because the engine mount / radiator locations aren't likely to be the same in any case, there is a good chance you are going to be getting creative with the hoses. So why not just start there?

Comment

• bkilby
                350 Buick
                • Jan 10, 2016

cosworth, aren't most lower hoses on the LS 1.5"? This one is 2".

yossarian19, your input is appreciated. I'm not new to modified radiators and do understand my options for modifying mine, I just wanted to see if there were any other radiator Mfrs that already make a similar radiator for a FSJ that would fit, and weigh that price option vs. modifying mine. And I'd rather have a cross flow anyhow. But, I might just have to deal with mine for the time being, if we can stuff that 2" lower in that tapered lower tank. As it is, I don't think I can direct the lower hose from the PS of the engine to the DS of the radiator without the hose hitting everything. It's kind of a tight fit. Lol.

Comment

• yossarian19
                  258 I6
                  • Nov 13, 2016

yossarian19, your input is appreciated... As it is, I don't think I can direct the lower hose from the PS of the engine to the DS of the radiator without the hose hitting everything. It's kind of a tight fit. Lol.
                  Hah oh, I see. Yeah sorry to beat a dead horse with the hoses, kind of a "who's on first?" thing on my end.

Comment

• yossarian19
                    258 I6
                    • Nov 13, 2016

Find Be Cool Bone Yard LS Swap Radiators and get Free Shipping on Orders Over $109 at Summit Racing! Swap in and cool down your LS engine with Be Cool Bone Yard LS swap radiators. They feature all aluminum construction with two rows of 1 in. diameter tubes, .080 in. wall aluminum tanks, billet filler neck and drain petcock. The radiators are designed for the innovative builder who's budget minded. These radiators are available in crossflow and downflow styles and different sizes to fit with your LS engine swap.

You can also axe the product line search key, and search "LS swap" - Summit sells one house brand for $380, fits a first gen Camaro, and another for a Tri-5 Chevy
                    Hope this helps.

Not cheap, but then, "Hemi"
                    Last edited by yossarian19; 07-03-2017, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• cosworth
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 07, 2017

You are correct. I used a reducing hose to make the connection.

cosworth, aren't most lower hoses on the LS 1.5"? This one is 2".

Comment

• Pillow
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 19, 2017

Originally posted by cosworth
                        You are correct. I used a reducing hose to make the connection.
                        Jaguars That Run (JTR) makes nice reducers and couplers. I used one in my C-10 swap to retain the factory radiator and was very pleased by the quality.
                        1983 Cherokee Pioneer - in progress LS 5.3 w LS9 cam, NP208, & SM465
                        1968 J2000 Gladiator truck (organ donor for Cherokee & J2000)
                        1973 J4000 truck - potential Gambler 500 or farm beast.

Comment

Working...
                        X