• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivecowaggy
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 29, 2015

iveco 5.9l 6cyl turbo

I picked up an 84 GW with a 5.9l straight 6 turbo diesel made by Iveco, the PO bought it from the guy who made the swap, it has the GW 727 trans with a 229 backing it up, and I'm extremely happy with it as I nail down all the little quirks it has but still finding it very hard to source parts and information on this goofy engine. Since I bought it a few months back I have replaced batteries with matching ones, adapted the A/C to blow heat since they did not put a condenser in it. I've also added 3 inchs of lift and a new to me drive shaft in the back. And most recently a new GM 1 wire alternator. With all that being said I have a few questions to ask, one being has anyone ever added a 12v flame preheater plug to aid with cold starts? This would only apply to those WITHOUT glow plugs? Also how happy is everyone with the stock trans if any of you have kept the 3sp? Any input or advice would be great, I'm new to diesels but I know some. Thanks in advance and I hope you like this strange swap.
    1984 white wagoneer
    Iveco diesel swap
    727/229
  • Don in Missouri
    258 I6
    • Aug 11, 2002

I heard some of the Iveco trucks used a Deutz air-cooled diesel, that's not what you have, is it?

One of the favorite things about my 4bt conversion was the Th475 GM transmission instead of the 727. I know Torqueflights have a good reputation, but the GM transmissions seems to hook up much better. It could all be in the torque converter. My 727 always seemed slippy.
    <a href=\"http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/mysterymachine\" target=\"_blank\">www.angelfire.com/tv2/mysterymachine</a><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.imageevent.com/shaggy/trucks\" target=\"_blank\">www.imageevent.com/shaggy/trucks</a>

Comment

• DieselSJ
      304 AMC
      • May 19, 2003

Diesels don't like high rpms. Cruise it at 1800 or so. That typically means an overdrive trans. Are you sure about the GW 727 and that the previous owner didn't put in a Dodge version?
      -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
      -99 XJ Limited.
      -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
      -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• ivecowaggy
        230 Tornado
        • Jan 29, 2015

Its definitely the gw727, not an overdrive, and no its not an air cooled, liquid cooled iveco 4060.25 is the engine model it is supposed to make about 120hp and I haven't found a torque spec. From what I could find about this engine is that they are super reliable other than the water pumps. Nothing is electronic on it so it must have been a somewhat easy swap... other than the size of the engine related to the size on the engine bay.
        1984 white wagoneer
        Iveco diesel swap
        727/229

Comment

• 350 Vortec
          232 I6
          • Oct 17, 2014

These are almost as common as 6bts over here in europe,certainly southern EU ,good motor and some say it's the original 6bt design,should be able for much more power to

Comment

• Herk
            350 Buick
            • Jun 12, 2006

IVECO=FIAT
            There are 2 rules to success in life...
            Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.

1971 J-4700/Buick 350 Stage 1/TH400/D20/D44/D60/Koenig PTO Winch
            2005 LJ Rubicon Pretty close to stock

Comment

Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• ivecowaggy
                230 Tornado
                • Jan 29, 2015

The engine is out of a euro cargo not Iveco daily. And yes Iveco is/was partnered with fiat, and vortec 350 I wish they were common on this side of the pond, parts and knowledge are hard to find about these things.
                1984 white wagoneer
                Iveco diesel swap
                727/229

Comment

• cma
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 26, 2012

iveco is here in europe popular, specialy the light trucks like daily.
                  Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Whats involved adapting one of these to an American/US transmission?

Comment

• ivecowaggy
                      230 Tornado
                      • Jan 29, 2015

To be honest it just looks like an adapter plate, not sure what's on the crankshaft of the engine to adapt it to the trans, had I done this swap I would have more knowledge to share
                      1984 white wagoneer
                      Iveco diesel swap
                      727/229

Comment

• DieselSJ
                        304 AMC
                        • May 19, 2003

We need pics. Engine bay pics. We want to see this thing.
                        -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                        -99 XJ Limited.
                        -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
                        -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• ivecowaggy
                          230 Tornado
                          • Jan 29, 2015

This is what it looks like so far
                          1984 white wagoneer
                          Iveco diesel swap
                          727/229

Comment

• 350 Vortec
                            232 I6
                            • Oct 17, 2014

Looks like a good fit in there,if it runs well then you have a good motor for sure and worth looking after,intercooler and fresh air would be good idea in future (and a decent air filter )we rarely ever have autos behind diesels in anything bigger than a car here,just not suitable for hauling and mountains

Comment

• ivecowaggy
                              230 Tornado
                              • Jan 29, 2015

The air filter is definitely on my list and I'd like to change it to a waste gate intercooled turbo set up in the future but running more than 10-12 psi of boost on this type of engine I've read is bad because of the 17:1 compression ratio, I could be wrong tho, more or less would want a turbo that spools up at lower rpm, I only see max boost when passing on the highway. And a trans with more gears would make a HUGE difference in the power output I think.
                              1984 white wagoneer
                              Iveco diesel swap
                              727/229

Comment

Working...
                              X