who all has a d300 in there bigger than a cj rig?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • malodin
    304 AMC
    • Sep 03, 2004

nice
    1977 CHEROKEE CHIEF, 401, SOA FRONT SITTING ON HD44 4.10'S, TH400/D300 COMBO, 14BFF REAR WITH TT'S FAB'S REAR SHAKLE FLIP KIT, RB'S BRONCO TANK MOD. 35'S

Comment

• big_o_tom
      230 Tornado
      • Apr 13, 2008

Dana 300

Don't know a lot about these full size Jeep's, but I got one. It's a '66 J-2000. When I bought it, it had an inline 6 cyl, a 3 or 4 speed manual tranny and a dana 20. Now it has a 304 with a turbo 400 tranny and a dana 20 x-case. Had it going on 15 years now and haven't had any x-case problems. Hauled my boat with it, done some wheeling with it, and hauled some insane amounts of building supplies in it. And the dana 20 is or should be weaker than the 300.

Comment

• Big Blue
        258 I6
        • Oct 15, 2002

I recently installed a 203/d300 in my Cherokee. So far its held up to a bunch of snow wheeling and some mild trails. We'll see how it does this summer when take the jeep out on some more difficult trails including a trip to Moab. The dana 300 has no mods done to it as of now except for twin sticks.

Colin
        78 Cherokee, SBC 350, th-350, np203/d300, 4-inch Rusty's lift, TT's fabworks shackle flip kit, spring over, D60 rear (4.10's, welded), Chevy D44 front (4.10's), hi-steer, 38.5" swamper sx's.

Comment

• skinnypeadelwheelin
          232 I6
          • Nov 12, 2007

ok cherokee owners i have a dana 300 sitting in the floor looking at my cherokee right now. havn't put it in cause people told me that the rear drive shaft wont clear the gas tank. will yall please end that myth and tell me it clears fine. so i can go ahead and put that tranny and dana 300 in it thanks.

Comment

• dusty
            327 Rambler
            • Jul 20, 2006

Originally posted by skinnypeadelwheelin
            ok cherokee owners i have a dana 300 sitting in the floor looking at my cherokee right now. havn't put it in cause people told me that the rear drive shaft wont clear the gas tank. will yall please end that myth and tell me it clears fine. so i can go ahead and put that tranny and dana 300 in it thanks.

i have a manual tranny with the offset rear end i have no problem clearing my stock coffin tank

I officially have broken a d300
            in my cj the tera blow gears 4:1 3 gear set stripped the low range idler and a busted tooth spun around and cracked the top of the case right by the rear tail housing bolt, running stock outputs all logic tells oyu other parts should have broken but appearantly tera's gears are not as good as one would have hoped. i know i am not very impressed i kept the stock outputs just to give my self a fuse.

This go around it will have the full jb conversions package. i'll get back to you on if the gears strip and the case breaks but i seriously doubt it. otherwise the case in my cherokee chief is happily tooing along with the 32 spline output on the back

Casting number on the gear set middle idler gear is 300-341

Note on the Tera gear set they re-used the stock dana big gears on the low range side on the rear output and the front output. the totally stripped out gear is the dana spicer gear.

o suprise suprise
            when the gear stripped the dislodged tooth cracked the top of the housing ..... time to grab the spare housing and put it to work

sucks when all your goodies get burned up

Tera 3 piece gear set center idler gear

This is not condusive of the D300 it is my suspision that this is a factor of a poor quality gear set. the case was just the unfortunate victim of circumstance. 35's and a t18 running 1310 ujoints and d44's f&R w/ stock outputs lots of fusable links that should have popped before this gear set did

The lomax gears are twice what the tera gears are otherwise i see no problems with stock gears
            Last edited by dusty; 11-15-2008, 09:52 PM.
            Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)
            The 608.9 hybrid dana 44 build

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

• fubar
              258 I6
              • Nov 12, 2008

ive got one in my cherokee on 40's and a built 360 th400 and ive broke three u joints so far
              67 wagoneer
              84 grand wagoneer
              76 cherokee
              67 gladiator

Comment

• AKAMC
                327 Rambler
                • Sep 23, 2006

How is this working out for you? I may be doing this in an 85 with a 727 and CUCV D60 passenger drop front. The front axle will be SOA so I hope I wont have a tranny pan issue.
                Originally posted by matt thompson
                i just put one in my grand wag, haven't driven it yet, but i was afraid of front drive shaft hitting the tranny(727). i put a front driveshaft up to it and it looks like it will clear the pan. Granted I do have a SOA in the front. I might have to limit up travel on the pssgr side we'll see...also I will have to re-route my exhaust because right now it's in the way. Best part though, it bolts directly up to the stock adapter.
                06 Rubicon Wifes toy
                84 CJ8
                66 Amphicar Yea it's a boat too!
                08 German Sheperd
                03 Golden Retriever
                06 Golden Retriever
                19XX Sexy Red Head loaded with all the options!

ALASKA... "Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species"

Comment

• incommando

I have a chance to pickup a AMC-cased TH400 with an adapter & a D300. Does anyone have any comments about how this would work out in a FSJ? Any known fitment issues?

Comment

• Sambo
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Sep 25, 2001

should bolt right in if its an amc t400
                    77 chero DEAD.
                    84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• incommando

Much advantage over a 727/208? I have both front axles available.

Comment

• Casey
                        • Oct 08, 2003

I don't think there is an advantage over the 727/208 (yeah the 300 is gear driven and cast iron w/huge after market).
                        The 208 is plenty strong and there are no driveshaft issues to deal with. Everything to do the swap to a 208 is readily available using factory parts. Cross member, driveshafts, shifter etc...
                        I did a 208 swap and only had to get one driveshaft made. The whole swap cost me less than $150. D300s can fetch more than that.
                        But they do bolt right to the 727 eliminating the need for adapters etc... keeping the cost down. A big bonus for using one if you need to swap out your t-c.

I have done the 300 swap with a 727. I never drove the thing tho'. I just installed it and then went in an entirely different direction.(454/700r4/203/205)

Bolted to a 727 the D300 front yoke is very close to the trans pan. Like several here pointed out, a thin driveshaft with a single u-joint is the ticket. A dbl cardan joint will not work.

Here it is with a Currie twin stick installed in the Chief:

pic of the trans/t-c bolted together. You can see how close the yoke is to the pan:
                        1994 YJ
                        1986 Comanche
                        '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
                        www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
                        "Go forth and be a tool".
                        Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
                        This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• incommando

Thansk. Good info. I have the 727/208. I guess there is no reason to buy the th400/300.

Comment

• matt thompson
                            232 I6
                            • Sep 27, 2006

Originally posted by AKAMC
                            How is this working out for you? I may be doing this in an 85 with a 727 and CUCV D60 passenger drop front. The front axle will be SOA so I hope I wont have a tranny pan issue.
                            It is definately close, i don't think a double cardon cv shaft would work. For the front I dont think cv shaft is needed though IMHO. Yes is clears the tranny with a skinny driveshaft like mine. I found my shaft from a scout with an auto, perfect length and skinny. Only thing that needs to be done is re route exhaust.
                            1988 grand wag-amc360, TF727, twin stick Dana 300, D44 front, 14bolt(10.5")
                            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=matt+thompson
                            1995 wrangler YJ-stock so far
                            1991 cummins 12valve flatbed

Comment

• PavementPounder
                              232 I6
                              • Aug 21, 2003

As someone mentioned earlier, the 1980 Scout units are nice alternatives for FSJ owners with T-18's. I hooked up Jersey Joe with one a while back. Finding the bull gear can sometimes be a pain in the ***, though.
                              This is how NAXJA Midwest Chapter elected officials like to treat their resident users and former multi-year supporters.

Comment

• JERSEY JOE
                                304 AMC
                                • Jan 15, 2004

TEXAS BOLT PATTERN DANA 300

THAT'S RIGHT. PAVEMENT POUNDER DID HOOK ME UP WITH A RARE TEXAS BOLT PATTERN DANA 300 FOR MY T-18 IN A CJ 7. WAS A GOOD UNIT THAT HAS WORKED VERY WELL.

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH MARK IS A STAND UP GUY THAT I WOULD VOUCH FOR ANYTIME.

JERSEY JOE
                                1985 J-20 401 6 inch lift, 37's plow truck. CURRENT PROJECT
                                1986 CJ 7 360 T-18 granny low Dana 44 , 4 inch lift 35's
                                1882 CJ 7 360 727 auto Dana 60's 35's cage
                                1970 AMX was SCCA B production. 390 cross ram. GOOGLE IT

Comment

Working...
                                X