International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 07-10-2019, 08:16 PM
304 AMC

Here is an original rear door panel. I tried to restore it but it is not good enough. I peeled it off the old warped moldy door card, soaked the very brittle vinyl in 303 for over a year between two sheets of plastic and a flannel sheet soaked in 303 to keep it moist (and it did indeed work, it is soft and pliable now) Then reglued it to a new water jetted door card that had to be trimmed back. The vinyl had shrunk and it would never fit an original correct sized door card. So using the sample first run door cards I had done, I mounted the vinyl up after trimming the card edges hoping to get something on Sadie till I finished the new construction door panels. Well the chrome tape would not stick to the trim pieces. Probably from the 303 soak. I could not bear to put them on. So I am trying to complete a new panel set that will look super and last in heat and cold.

Here is the original.

And thank you Full Size Jeeper. It is nice to know I would have at least one set to sell later. It will be a bit though. I have a lot of work to do yet. And I need to make sure it is well made and the chrome trim strip's stays on on a super hot day. I will hope to have all 4 door panels and the rear bed panels to match. And if I really got my scene together, include a new headliner for a near complete interior face lift kit. I am not sure what is in my fabricating future.

Question if anyone knows.... What ever happened to Tatsayago (spelling?) over at the other site. He was going gang busters on making new door panels. The last post I ever saw regarding his new panels was nearly a year old. Did he quit? Is he selling them? Anyone know?

Anyway, have a nice evening...

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-15-2019, 07:45 PM
304 AMC

Slaving over a hot stove. Ok well an oven. I am getting closer to having an interior. I am still having some heat blistering that I wish I could stop from happening. It is mild but visible if you look. I wish I had cut the blacking plates to just a skosh bigger than the stamps. There is a lot of metal hanging out over the vinyl. It is hot and leaving it's mark. I need a heat blocker that won't interfere with the pattern and the texture. I am thinking gasket material cut to size and carefully placed. I will work on something. I believe I can make them better. But they look pretty darn good.

Lots of mapping out what goes where. Marking the embossing stamps even.

Not to bad. I am going to try and emboss where the chrome trim goes like the originals. Getting everything straight is a challenge.

I ruined a rear door so I will have to do that over. But here is the lot so far. I am getting better definition from the smaller stamps. The large front door stamps leave a slightly lighter press image.

See. Not bad though.

I will keep on it. Getting some other small stuff done also. Like adjusting the shift linkage so when in drive the shift indicator is positioned over the "D".
And it looks like I might have to pull the tansmission again. It is dripping from the torque converter housing. I replaced the front seal before it went in. Dang me....
Anyway...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-15-2019, 08:09 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
I wish I had cut the blacking plates to just a skosh bigger than the stamps.

I'm not clear or what the problem is but could you just radius the offending edges effectively making the open areas bigger or do you need the sharp edge? Maybe bevel them?

They look good from here.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:58 AM
232 I6

Those are really looking nice. Your ingenuity and creativity are incredible to see recreating the originals so closely. Nice work, I will be watching when you start selling them as well.
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 07-16-2019, 02:35 PM
304 AMC

Darn power bumps. Been trying to post for a while.

SJTD the backing plate overhangs the actual stamp pattern metal in some areas. So the heat from the overhang is causing some mild blistering. It is subtle but there. The stamps part that makes the impression I want to be square with fairly sharp edges. That makes the best imprint.

And Chubbinus, I hope to be able to sell these later. They are a lot harder to make than it looks. But as I make them I find ways to improve the process.
And it would help if I put the stamp on the right way. I had enough vinyl for the work, but I accidentally placed a rear door stamp on upside down. I rotated in in the oven and forgot to correct it on the way to the table. So I am going to by several more yards of vinyl tomorrow. I will get enough for at least 1-2 more sets.

I am tired. I need a camp out. My jeep run got canceled. I should have loaded up and met Frank Ziebert over out of Yakima when he went to the Nachez shoestring trail system. Maybe next year. There is a lot of stuff that absolutely must get done this summer. As I like to say about now.... It's gonna snow any minute now.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-16-2019, 03:31 PM
304 AMC

I think Bill should seriously buy this to tow behind Sadie! Same color even.

I would put the tow hitch back on.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/d...929730926.html

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon