International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

View Poll Results: Which manufacturers Diesel should I go with?? See the thread below before answering
Ford Diesel Engine 4 3.54%
GM Diesel Engine 10 8.85%
Dodge/Cummins Diesel 85 75.22%
Other/Foreign 14 12.39%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 AM
350 Buick

Going Diesel Need Opinions

Greetings everyone I have decided to go diesel in my rig. (not the existing rig but I will purchase a new rig and have been looking.) Anyway, I have a 4l80E transmission sitting in storage ready to back the diesel. I am not really well versed on diesels and wanted to know out of the diesels out there what ones are known to be most reliable/best that everyone thinks would be great to swap in that has all the things one would want in a diesel, (Reliability, parts availability, power, torque, fuel mileage, etc etc.) Please everyone chime in if you have any info/data. Please keep the following in mind though. (Let me know what the best diesel, the diesel of all diesels is!!)

1. It has to be something that I can get my hands on and connect to a 4l80e trans. (I already found a company that makes adapters to connect the dodge diesel to a 4l80e and I think there is one out there for ford diesels) if you pick other please list the engine, (Note if I cannot find an adapter or Trick err.... I mean get an engineer either on the board or nearby to fabricate and adapter for me then other is a no go)

2. Something realistic. I know everyone wants to take an engine from a mack truck or peterbilt or an engine that was designed in a lab like frankenstein and only five of them exist in the world, or some other thing and those are great dreams but I want something that can realistically fit in the engine bay (and fit well) not an engine where I have to do so much trickery and such to get it in that I only have .00000125 of an inch of space on each side of it and I have to lube the hood every time I open it to get it to close around the engine. I also want one that is available that I can get my hands on pretty easily (Easy for a diesel that is)

3. Needs to be able to operate independently of the trans. (Some engines and computers wont function if the full system engine and trans are not together. I dont know about diesels but if the engine cannot do that then leave it out.

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel

Last edited by Wagoneerlover : 07-31-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:43 AM
Master Mechanic

I'm not gonna vote because I don't have personal experience but I have heard nothing but positive stuff about the cummins 4bt and it seems widely recommended and widely used

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/search...earchid=225599

I'm gonna follow you on this because, at first I was looking to do an OD swap but I'd rather just completely change out the 360 for a diesel.
Keep us updated!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:07 AM
350 Buick

Yeah there are some guys out here that I know with diesel pickups and all of them swear by the dodges with the Dodge duramax diesel (cummins). I definitely wanted to get the opinion of board members though before moving. (I wonder if the 4bt would be a good mate with the 4l80e???)

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 AM
ob1jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoneerlover
Yeah there are some guys out here that I know with diesel pickups and all of them swear by the dodges with the Dodge duramax diesel (cummins). I definitely wanted to get the opinion of board members though before moving. (I wonder if the 4bt would be a good mate with the 4l80e???)
FWIW: The Duramax, is the label that Government Motors uses for the Aluminum V8 Diesel in thier PU's, which is sourced from Isuzu...

The Diesel used in Dodge PU's is sourced from Cummins, which happens to be the 6 cyl version of the bt family of Cummins diesel motors. The 4bt can be found in a number of delivery trucks, mated to a TH400...

HTH...
Old 07-31-2009, 08:33 AM
Big Meanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoneerlover
Yeah there are some guys out here that I know with diesel pickups and all of them swear by the Dodges with the Cummins. I definitely wanted to get the opinion of board members though before moving. (I wonder if the 4bt would be a good mate with the 4l80e???)

Fixed it for ya, as we Cummins fans don't like the GM Duramax confused with a real engine.

Cummins is the way to go if you want the best. The 5.9 wasn't designed by a car manufacturer to fit inside a pickup. It was built to run large farm tractors and generators and run them all day everyday for years. They are medium-heavy duty engines, the rest are light to medium duty. That is also the reason why you can go to a Ford dealer and buy a new F450 and "upgrade" to a Cummins.
he's such big meanie that way...
please don't tell him i said that....
Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM
out of order

Go with a Cummins 6bt, or GM 6.5.

I searched for over a year for a 4bt, they are uber-expensive in SoCal, and pretty hard to find.
Was looking @ a 6bt set-up, when a smokin' deal fell in my lap.

Picked up a complete 6.5/4L80E/NV242 for a song.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:23 AM
FSJ Maniac

Of course I vote for the 4BT, mostly because I have one that I plan to install it in my J4800. As far as the tranny....the boys on the www.4btswaps.com boys will be happy to give you some information. But FYI, read the FAQ pages first before asking questions.

Here's the LINKY of my build. I was going to use a 46RH, Dodge O/D auto Tranny, but I changed to a NV4500 for more reliability when I'm breaking trail with the plow.

Last edited by COLOFIREMAN : 07-31-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:09 AM
Grease Monkey

I'd go with a 6bt. Nothing like replacing a 5.9 with a 5.9
Non-FSJ:
1980 Ford F100: 302 2V/C4, 9", 2.75, 180K
1992 Ford F150: 302 EFI/M5OD, 8.8, 3.55, 300K
1995 Chevrolet C2500: 350 TBI/4L60E, 14 Bolt, 3.42, 315K
Old 07-31-2009, 01:31 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandwag89
I'd go with a 6bt. Nothing like replacing a 5.9 with a 5.9

Ya the 6bt is reportedly great too, but when I do my swap I'd prob go 4bt for the mpg, but if its not the DD then a 6bt would be niiiiiice
Old 08-20-2009, 10:27 AM
350 Buick

4bt's and 6bt's

These are pretty sick. Thinking about doing it down the road. Lots of guys are talking about them being hard to find or expensive. Not really. Govliquidations.com. The military "la""la""la""la""la"cans tow tractors all the time to DERMO and most of them have these in them. Most are for sale for $150.00- You pick up. Check it out...

Military guys- Check out www.MilitaryJeepers.com

'89 GW deceased
Ford 4spd swap Np435/205
Lifted/stretched on 36's/4.10 thick gears/spooled rear

'86 CJ-7 Renegade, Restored, original steel.
new Built TBI 258/Np435/D300 twin-sticks/Waggy D44's
37" Super Swampers and lots of goodies!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Grease Monkey

The question was I have a 4L80E and without spending too much money, what diesel can I adopt?

Without spending too much money.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Master Mechanic

I've had Ford guys tell me their next truck will have a cummins.

87 Grand Wagoneer
2009 GMC 5.3L Vortec
Sterling 10.25 Rear
8 Lug J10 Front
TSM Mfg Rear Disk Brake Conversion
40 Gallon Rear Tank

Soon:

Hydroboost Brakes
Kennesaw Mountain Front & Rear Bumper
Old 01-31-2010, 12:43 PM

A 4L80E will bolt up to a GM Detroit 6.2/6.5L. The problem is that no one makes a T/C adapter for the 4L80. You would have to get a machinist to help you there or use a T/C from a Chev-GMC truck.

Ooops, sorry, I'm typing, not reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWag&Prix
Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"
Old 01-31-2010, 12:47 PM

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but...

I am personally going to be doing a diesel swap in the near future so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

One person in this thread mentioned One little thing that it seems no one else thought to mention, Mercedes.

Mercedes came out with a Wonderful diesel engine called the OM617 in the late 70's and they are known for going well over 500,000 miles (saw a video of a Mercedes with 770,xxx and it still fired up like the day it was new) and supposedly had No major work done, just basic routine maintainence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OM617 Wikipedia Article

I love the Cummins Engines, and I know many have swapped 4bt's and 6bt's into Waggys, cherokees, CJ's, YJ's, etc so don't get me wrong...

But I did a lot of research and put a ton of thought into this before I decided to go with the OM617 Mercedes Turbo Diesel.

3 Liters. 5 Cylinders. No Computers. Around 100hp and around 180ft lbs (the Pump and Boost can be 'turned up' a notch to make over 200ft lbs and Diesels do it at Low Rpm so its perfect for having power on the trail when you need it, IMHO)

For me, a MAJOR deciding factor was that Some of the Mercedes that carry this engine Get over 35mpg and weigh close to 4000 pounds...Our Waggy's are a bit heaver than that, but I still think I can get close to 30mpg when my swap is done.

You can purchase a good running Complete Mercedes 300D (whole car) with everything you'd need for a swap (Transmission, shift linkages/clutch pedal/etc) for less than you can typically purchase a 4bt or 6bt Engine alone.

I am choosing to run a divorced transfercase (NP 205) off of the stock Mercedes Transmission (Preferably a 5 speed in my case, but will work with an OD automatic if thats what comes my way)

Plenty of power, not overweight (compared to the Cummins equipment) and Awesome mileage...plus the possibilities to run it on WVO, Bio, Commercial Diesel, or Even Propane.

Personally, I am not a fan of Ford/Chevy Diesels. I agree with a previous poster that in basically stock trim, they are underpowered and overweight with too many little problems for me to want to mess with. (Fords and Glow Plug problems I have personally experienced in 2 different situations and older chevys wouldn't pull a sick kid off a toilet)

So...if I was in your boat of wanting to do a diesel swap, I would trade the Transmission you have for a divorced transfercase and find a Mercedes 300D to take the powertrain from and slip it in.

I think for me it is going to be a virtually painless engine swap (motor mounts, transmission crossmember, hang a divorced transfercase and have drivelines made). Ive done a few swaps in my life so far and This one should be much easier than the BBC502 in an S-10 I did about 4 years ago.

Just my opinions, when I discoverd the om617 it was literally love at first sight and I'm VERY impressed with their reliability.

Nathan.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticEngineer
I am personally going to be doing a diesel swap in the near future so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

One person in this thread mentioned One little thing that it seems no one else thought to mention, Mercedes.Nathan.
The300d will barely move a 3600lb 123 series body let alone a half ton heavier FSJ.
Good motors but not enough for a FSJ unless you don't have freeway on ramps where you live.
The MB dsl motor you want is the inline 5 cyl from an early Sprinter Van or the later used V6 dsl but who can afford that just to save a few mpgs?