• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2nd Day
    FSJ Bird Man
    • Nov 08, 2002

What are they worth stock?

...in decent condition, some rust, no holes. Running and shifting good in stock condition (not modified).

Seems to me prices have jumped dramatically in the last 10 years or so.

Not talking about all those "Ive got X amount of dollars in it" as we all know you cant expect people to pay for your sentimental value.

What did you or would you pay for a stock FSJ?
    ""In God We Trust"
    87 Grand Waggy
    Co-Founder of the ECI
    My son asked:
    Why does Daddy always buy the Jeeps that break down a lot?"
  • Bob Barry
    Jeep Doctor
    • Apr 09, 2000

Well, it varies greatly with the year and the model, and most importantly, location.

Good rust-free '86-'91 GW's in the Northeast seem to go in the $15k-$25k range on a regular basis, with restored or survivors in excellent condition bringing double that.

OTOH, it seems people would think nothing about parting-out the same GW in the Pacific Northwest or California, since they can pick them up for under $1000.

I wanted a stock J-truck, with the most important consideration that it be rust-free (or as close to it as you'll find in the Northeast). I looked for about a year, finding nothing but rusty projects, then found my '87 J-20 that had been used as a plow-truck. They asked $8000, but took my offer of $7000. There were a few others in slightly better condition in the $12k-$15k range, and rusty projects in the $3500-$5000 range.

Of course, where rust doesn't destroy these things, people claim that they pick up running rust-free J-trucks up all the time for $750.
    1987 J-20
    Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• J20 project
      304 AMC
      • Dec 27, 2000

Since very few are found w/ no rust, runs perfect, has good paint, gets 15 mpg...new tires.....hard to guage.
      We know what rich folk who really, really want one cause they got laid in the first time,,,will pay.
      The question isn't really valid.

I have paid as low as 200,,,and as high as 3500 back in the day, but everything I can afford is somewhere south of the 25K range.

Make the best deal that your pocket will afford, but if you choose to assemble and build...try to understand what you are buying and justify it with your personal budget, time to work on it, and the hopeful outcome.
      BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
      775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• Waggymcgee
        232 I6
        • Oct 19, 2020

Recent purchase in PNW

I am in Spokane. About 6 weeks ago I picked up my 85 GW with the only rust being about a 2” rust bubble in quarter panel. Rebuilt motor at reputable shop 10k miles ago and tranny 1k miles ago. It has not a great paint job and non functioning sunroof and air. Sunroof has leaked and I will likely need to replace fuse box and other electrical work. Had to do distributor, brake work, vacuum lines and tires and she purrs.
        I have learned a lot in six weeks to include that I overpaid at $5k. I have seen a couple in the area for 2500 but they are real rough. Seattle and Portland both have nice ones for sale for 35k.
        Kerry (she)

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg

Comment

Working...
        X