International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Introduce Yourself.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:12 AM
Noob!

Leaf Springs

Greetings from South Florida. I am in the process of doing pretty much a complete restoration on my '89 GW.

It has high mileage on it and as such my springs were worn out. I ordered a set of 4 from Team Grand Wagoneer which indicates that they are the "stock height" however after installation they are anything but stock height.

FRONT LEAF SPRING PART# J5362950

REAR LEAF SPRING PART # J5362956

Maybe I should take some pictures and include them in this post but before doing so, i wanted to see if anyone has a suggestion of what i may have missed.

My intent was not to lift the suspension but to keep it stock.

Any thoughts? Many thanks!!
Peter
Old 11-11-2017, 11:40 AM

What's the issue, sitting lower or higher than expected? You can bet either way they'll still settle a bit more.
The factory TSM has ride height specs. It'll include overall height, rear cargo deck height, drivers sill plate/step height etc. Assuming you have stock size tires, those would be the areas to measure.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:30 PM
Noob!

Joe,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for not being more clear.

The issue is that the car is clearly sitting hire than the stock height.

What i failed to also mention is that I also purchased this body mount kit from TGW as well. it doesnt say in the description that the kit will raise the height but perhaps it did.

https://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/pr...-gw-1963-1991/

I was primarily trying to determine if anyone else had ever installed the leafs I mentioned in my last post.

THanks again!

Peter
Old 11-13-2017, 12:27 PM

Curious, did you crank the spring packs down tight w/o the car weight on the springs..not a good thing. If so loosen the spring bolts while on the ground, then re-torque the bolts to spec. Then go take a spirited ride on a crap rough dirt road and hope things settle in.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:56 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Curious, did you crank the spring packs down tight w/o the car weight on the springs..not a good thing. If so loosen the spring bolts while on the ground, then re-torque the bolts to spec. Then go take a spirited ride on a crap rough dirt road and hope things settle in.
Exactly! I did that when I replaced my springs a couple months ago, too (cranked them when jacked rather than when on the ground).

Also, know that the springs will settle a little over the next month or two (again, mine did, so I assume yours will too). I ordered Crown replacement springs but I don't remember the part number.