engine and trans swap (measurement questions and tips)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wagoneerlover
    350 Buick
    • Jan 18, 2004

engine and trans swap (measurement questions and tips)

ok all I am planning on installing a 4l80e and vortec 350 this summer. Here is what I plan to do. If I omit anything or miss any steps please let me know. (Seconldy many of you mention getting measurements off of the existing drivetrain to help with placement of the old drivetrain. what measurments do I need and what do I use them for?

1. Remove old drivetrain.
    2. connect new engine and trans and transfer case.
    3. place the complete drivetrain in the engine/trans bay for transmission crossmember fitting and for engine mount placement/fitting.
    4. install new engine mounts and crossmember and install drivetrain.
    5. Wire in new engine to existing wiring and place acessories on engine etc. reroute fuel lines etc.

Well that is what I plan to do in a nutshell. any tips will be much appreciated.

P.S. When I install the new drivetrain I will be checking to make sure that it stays even with the frame and secondly that all components clear items that are in the jeep. manifolds clear heater core etc. and that trans and transfer case components have room to operate. I know that the engine needs to be level side to side. also I realize that the rear driveshafts cannot
    be angle too sharply. other than that is their anything else that I might need to consider?

Please help any tips will be greatly appreciated as I dont want to screw this up and have to fix it again later.
    88 Grand wagoneer AMC 360 all stock
    89 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360 (Deceased)

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
    2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

All completed long ago (cannot remember when)
    1. TBI
    2. New fuel tank
    3. AW-4 Transmission
    4. Aluminum condensor
    5. Custom Gauge Panel
  • Lindel
    Perfesser of Jeepology
    • Jun 15, 2000

Depending on the year model of your Waggie, you'll need to offset the drivetrain to one side or the other. If you have a 79 or earlier (pumpkin on the passenger side), you'll need to offset about 1" to 1.5" to the driver's side for clearance. If it's 80 or newer, then offset to the passenger side.

This is per Novak Adapt, and the tech that I talked to concerning my LS1 swap.
    Jeep Grounds
    RRV Homepage
    Texas Full Size Jeep Association
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
    AMC 360/TF727/NP229
    1999 Wrangler Sport
    4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

Working...
    X