• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yipcanjo
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 20, 2005

Noticeable "temp" change with new sending unit

My temp guage stopped working a few weeks back, but I was able to figure out that the sending unit was bad -- not the guage itself. Anyhow, I grabbed a new sending unit (Niehoff?), slapped it in there, and topped off the radiator. Everything seems just fine *EXCEPT* that my temps appear to be noticeably higher than they were with the old sending unit! Any thoughts? Perhaps the old unit was going bad and was mis-reporting? An issue with the new sending unit?

Things of note:
    1) My radiator was flushed about two months ago, so it's doing pretty well
    2) With the old temp sending unit I don't ever remember the temp going past 50% on the guage (the middle)
    3) The new sending unit seems to hover around 70-75% temp when fully warmed up --- and even higher if I shut 'er off, hop out for 5 minutes, and get back in again!

Whatcha fellas think?

Yip
    : Jeepless...
  • Tad
    • Nov 30, 2001

The climbing after shutoff is normal, all engines do that.
    It's probably now sending properly (stock gauges are really just for entertainment value only).

If your really concerned, drop by a rad shop with it fully warmed up and have them zap with a heat detector gun/thingy, they'll usually do it for free and it's a lot more accurate than your gauge. Your local mechanic/garage may have one too.
    2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
    Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• yipcanjo
      327 Rambler
      • Mar 20, 2005

Thanks. I think you're probably right.... the guage is likely registering *correctly* now, but I like your suggestion on getting it officially temped at a radiator shop. I might just do that.

Anyone know (roughly) what the temp guage markings represent? In other words, the "redline/too-hot" area... does anyone know what approximate temp "too hot" is? Anyone know what 50% (or the middle) of the temp guage actually represents?

Thx.

Yip

Comment

• Bob Davis '80 Chero

Who knows what the guage indicates, I just don't worry unless it goes way to the right. Mine, on warm days stays right of center some. I have a 185 degree theromstat so I figure that is correct. When I had my first one I put in a 160 degee thermostat and it stayed about centered on the guage.

Comment

• yipcanjo
          327 Rambler
          • Mar 20, 2005

Thank you, sir. [img]smile.gif[/img]

(p.s. -- *very* nice Honcho!)

Comment

• osceola
            350 Buick
            • Feb 12, 2004

put a meat thermomemeter in the radiator see what it sez.
            henry

Comment

• mrk442
              232 I6
              • Feb 08, 2005

so what would the "optimal" hot temp be on these wags i am in southern AZ so warm up is usually not a problem but i don't think i have ever got it above 180 "reading stock and aftermarket gauge"?
              **********************************<br />1986 Grand Wagoneer \"The Beast\"<br />AMC 360,727,208

Comment

• Doug B.
                327 Rambler
                • Oct 27, 2001

IMPROPER AVATAR ALERT!!!
                no running FSJ at this time......

Comment

Working...
                X