• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comancheap
    232 I6
    • Jan 27, 2010

Junk is sagging

Okay, I am still a newbie so although I bounced all corners on my 81 Waggy and it seemed like the shocks were in very good shape I can see the back end hanging low over the tires but fine up on front tires. Can "see air over fronts but not rears" squatted bad

Even unloaded if hangs down. Other day on a bump the quarter panel even scrubbed my new 31" tire.

I picked up a low mile 1972 Buick 350-4bbl engine complete with acessories today and that same drivers side quarter panel didn't even have finger room over it (passenger 1/4 was better but not by much).

This was with the 350 mounted evenly in the back middle of cargo area.

Anyhow how to I get the ride hieght back up?

Don't off road much (daily driver) so wouldn't mind a smoothier ride too

Thanks,
    John
    John

1977 FSJ, Autumn Red 360 roached gas tank to match exterior!

1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1.Total basket

1960 Electra 225 convertible 401 Nailhead 445 ft lbs of torque.

1970 455 MF'in Muncie 4 speed Buick GSX rusty yet satisfying! Drive it sideways!

1986 Chevy Silverado Dads first nice truck, claimed by the woods : (
  • Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
    Cherokee Outlaw
    • Jan 10, 2006

Common "Wag Sag"

There's a number of ways to correct it...but the correct way would be replace the springs with new units. Now, a lot of people don't want to cough up that kind of money for new springs so there are other less desirable options like "add-a-leaf"s, helper springs, air shocks, helper air bags, or a small block.
    -Jonny B.
    1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
    AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
    NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
    F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
    R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Wagoneer - Sold
    1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• Rich88
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Nov 20, 2008

Replace springs. Yours are done.

Also, shocks have nothing to do with height. They just dampen the movement of the springs.
      Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
      88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
      "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• Comancheap
        232 I6
        • Jan 27, 2010

Would this be a good time to add another "2 in ride height? Anyone have a package deal that can save on?
        John

1970 455 MF'in Muncie 4 speed Buick GSX rusty yet satisfying! Drive it sideways!

Comment

• Comancheap
          232 I6
          • Jan 27, 2010

Looks like I may need to be finiding a used kit someone upgraded on to be able to do this financially. Thing is killing my money

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket
          John

Comment

• jaber
            Dragin Az
            • Oct 17, 2003

Empty pockets
            Unfinished projects...

I have a yard full of them. If I could just hit the Lotto...
            Jeff

'43 cj2a
            '51 Willys p/u
            '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
            '68 Panel Delivery
            '74 CJ5
            '75 J-20 Wrecker
            '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
            '77 J-10 p/u
            '79 Cherokee
            '88 Grand Wagoneer
            '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• 1983 j10
              327 Rambler
              • Apr 13, 2008

add a leafs are another way to go and they are alittle cheaper might not last as long but will do the trick.
              1983 j10 lwb soon to be a 4.5l stroker AMC 20 rear 44 front 4spd manual in the process of restoring

01 xj 3" and 31's

Comment

• Rich88
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by Comancheap
                Looks like I may need to be finiding a used kit someone upgraded on to be able to do this financially. Thing is killing my money

You want to replace worn springs with someone else's worn spring?

Seriously, emergency fix is air shocks pumped up to 60-70 psi. Worked for me. I use Monroes on my '88.

Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• sld
                  327 Rambler
                  • Apr 04, 2006

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-470.htm and 2" block in the rear?
                  1981 WT Cherokee Chief /360/TF727/208/ Holley 600CFM/ Performer Intake/ Edelbrock headers/ Skip White HEI, switched dizzy gear. Patriot Side Pipes.

Comment

• serehill
                    Gone,Never Forgotten.
                    • Nov 22, 2009

not

Blocks & shackles on dead springs will wind up with a dead driver. Add a leaf on dead spring shortly delays the solution, New Springs. a lift will be pretty close to the same price as long as you don't go over 2". Air shocks are not a permanant solution either by the time you pay for 4 air shocks you could have the rears fixed. The front could wait.
                    Last edited by serehill; 12-29-2011, 06:07 PM.

80 Cherokee
                    360 ci 727 with
                    Comp cams 270 h
                    NP208
                    Edlebrock performer intake
                    Holley 4180
                    Msd total multi spark.
                    4" rusty's springs
                    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• catch2otwo
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 12, 2011

Just buy new springs at either stock height or 2" higher. I dont understand why its so hard for people to do things the correct way. Add a leaf, air shocks? really? come on people.....
                      1972 Wag

Buildthread

Comment

• FSJunkie
                        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                        • Jan 09, 2011

Add-a-leafs conjure up images of main leaves broken just behind the spring eye. Let's take an already weak spring, and put it under more stress. Helper springs too.

Air shocks and coild overs make me think of broken shock mounts. I don't think you want one of the top rear mounts to break loose and punch the shock up throung the cargo floor.

Just replace the springs. Don't go for re-arching either, re-archers last like a year.
                        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Comancheap
                          232 I6
                          • Jan 27, 2010

I appreciate thepermanant and temp fixes guys. If it wasn't a daily driver (use to just use on our farm until it got forced back into daily service when dually died).

Money is a major concern but can't end up with the weak link going out on me on a long road trip for work .

Never had anything with leaf springs so totally new to this.

So the minimum is the coil springs (yes would like to go 2" higher anyway)?

Really appreciate the help guys. This rig only had 89k miles on it and has been this way from the time the PO had it 15 years ago and was rarely used so being a newbie and wondering why they would fail that quick threw me a little curve.Hope the newer springs have more temper to them
                          John

Comment

• Comancheap
                            232 I6
                            • Jan 27, 2010

BJ's is kind of confusing referring to the "springs" so I don't know if that is "springs" plural like price for a set or EACH and are we talking leaf or coil springs?

Could I just replace the rear coil springs since front look correct? Have to go back with stock ride height instead of 2" lift that way I guess but can spread the bill out more going back stock until I can afford fronts also. Just hate the Ford Exploders being so much higher when they blow by me, but another couple inches wouldn't solve that anyway
                            John

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                              Murphy's Law Poster Child
                              • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by Comancheap
                              Really appreciate the help guys. This rig only had 89k miles on it and has been this way from the time the PO had it 15 years ago and was rarely used so being a newbie and wondering why they would fail that quick threw me a little curve.Hope the newer springs have more temper to them
                              Even though the vehicle hasn't been driven a lot the springs have been fighting gravity 24/7/365 for the last 30 years. I've noticed that the left rear usually sags the worst, probably due to the fuel tank being there.
                              You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
                              '88 GW
                              '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

Working...
                              X