• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tarriverarms
    232 I6
    • Apr 21, 2016

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
    Where did you hook up your gauge sensor? Trans pan? Cooler input? cooler output?
    What do you mean by a gauge sensor?

Do you mean like a temp sensor for your trans? I was wondering if that is possible. Would like to know the specifics of this as well.

Comment

• letank
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jun 03, 2002

for the tf727, here it is

need to find the plug for the th400
      Michel
      74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
      85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• PlasticBoob
        All Makes Combined
        • Jun 30, 2003

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
        Where did you hook up your gauge sensor? Trans pan? Cooler input? cooler output?
        I bought a B&M gauge kit, and installed it on the top (return) line close to the transmission.

The kit told me to hack the line and install a T fitting in between it, with the sensor plugging into the T. Been over a decade and it hasn't leaked yet, but it does concern me.

I think guys running oversized tires with high gearing would greatly benefit. For example, I have 32" tires with 3.07 gears.

Before I installed the cooler, I was offroading and my tranny generated so much heat that the cooling system and engine quickly overheated. So I installed a huge cooler and pusher fan to absorb the extreme heat generated from torque multiplication when going over obstacles slowly off-road (or stop-and-go traffic on hot Southern California days). Zero heat issues since.
        Last edited by PlasticBoob; 07-21-2018, 02:30 AM.
        Rob
        1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
        Click for video

Comment

• tarriverarms
          232 I6
          • Apr 21, 2016

Does anyone by chance know the cooler line hose size?

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
            350 Buick
            • Feb 15, 2010

3/8"

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

not 100% sure but I believe 5/16? for 727
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Perfect! Thanks, Plasticboob. Exactly the info I was looking for. I actually have 2 gauges: a good B&M one and an old school cheesy one. When I search on where people take readings for trans temp it is all over the map. Here are the arguments for the 3 most common places I see:
                1) Measure trans output will tell you if your trans is overheating
                2) Measure your cooler output will tell you if your cooler is effective at cooling down your trans fluid
                3) measure your pan so you know how hot the fluid is going into your trans

I was thinking my good B&M gauge would measure cooler output (like yours) and my cheesy one in the pan.

I think an external cooler is pretty much mandatory for any Southwestern rig. Especially when pushing tall gears, bigger tires, a lift, or towing.

I've got a few weeks to figure mine out though. I have other fish to fry right now.
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• letank
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
                  3/8"
                  X2, 3/8" for the OEM cooler on the 85.

in fact it could be 5/16 on an aftermarket unit... I found the receipt from last project repairs, it had to buy 5/16...
                  Last edited by letank; 07-28-2018, 11:40 AM.
                  Michel
                  74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                  85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
                  X