• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pass45
    232 I6
    • Apr 20, 2008

Originally posted by COLOFIREMAN
    As a driver of the mountains in a tow truck I have knowledge of this....Colorado chain laws only apply to heavy and commercial vehicles. Any time the passes get too bad to that chains would be required on a passenger cars and trucks they just close it and catch up on plowing. They keep up on it very well due to the ski areas would cry like a baby that dropped its lollipop. Hope it helps.

BTW Love your youtube channel on the Cherokee!!
    thanks the only reason I'm questioning it is Im towing my jeep
    gm 5.3 4l80blackboxnp205 dana 60 yukon zip locker 14 bolt 37/12.5/17 km2s or 39.5 irocks h1 beadlocks= one big money pit

Comment

• Blake
      304 AMC
      • Dec 22, 2005

I've towed snowmobiles on big enclosed trailers all over Colorado during the worst (best) conditions. Over all the major passes such as Loveland, Vail, Berthoud, etc.

Don't worry about it. Take it easy, drive reasonable, keep plenty of room in between you and car in front and use lower gears when descending the passes.

If you have snow chains, then great. Use 'em only if it's really bad.

Besides - they close the passes and make folks wait while they plow anyway. I bet it won't be bad at all.
      Please come on over to http://fsjnetwork.com/forum and have a look.

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by Blake
        I'm kinda bummed at the lack of participation, but so be it. We will have a BLAST!

I completed the rear traction bar, painted all the tubing/frame, changed fluids, tuned the Holley TA, fixed some wiring issues. The old Honcho is ready to roll

Starting work on my 5x8 trailer today. Replacing the rotten OSB with some expanded metal. Also taking measurements and will try to fit my street bike on there along with the J10 cab. I'm thinking that the bike will come in handy if something happens to the J10 and I need to get parts

Any ideas what a bare cab weighs?
        I'd go but my jeep needs all new ball joints, spring bushings, a brake line installed, power steering pump and box, a spring hanger welded, and a oil change. I'd ignore all that if I had the money for gas :P :P Savin' it for Ouray! Hey keep in mind the flare sections are fairly large, I left you lots of material to play with.
        1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
        1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• phisohex
          232 I6
          • Oct 16, 2007

looks like im in. gonna get to MOAB on monday night..and camping, is there a place we can all meet up at on the 18th? to do some rides. as cell phone service is fickle out there.
          Patryk M.
          1990 GW
          360. edlebrock intake,cam,timing set, 650 cfm Thunder AVS carb, heddman headers. HEI
          Bjs 6in Lift, 1in shackles, 2in body lift, B&m FloorShifter, 33"xterrains,33gal bronco Tank,Flowmaster 40 Dual pipes,
          bjs aluminum rad. Electric Fan, sweet new paint job

Comment

• pass45
            232 I6
            • Apr 20, 2008

Originally posted by phisohex
            looks like im in. gonna get to MOAB on monday night..and camping, is there a place we can all meet up at on the 18th? to do some rides. as cell phone service is fickle out there.
            I think I'm the only 1 there that early in the week I'm staying at canyon lands
            gm 5.3 4l80blackboxnp205 dana 60 yukon zip locker 14 bolt 37/12.5/17 km2s or 39.5 irocks h1 beadlocks= one big money pit

Comment

• phisohex
              232 I6
              • Oct 16, 2007

Originally posted by pass45
              I think I'm the only 1 there that early in the week I'm staying at canyon lands
              thinkin of campin on kane creed rd. somewhere.. canyonlands isnt too dog friendly. im sure we can meet up, although i have a less capable rig then yous.
              Patryk M.
              1990 GW
              360. edlebrock intake,cam,timing set, 650 cfm Thunder AVS carb, heddman headers. HEI
              Bjs 6in Lift, 1in shackles, 2in body lift, B&m FloorShifter, 33"xterrains,33gal bronco Tank,Flowmaster 40 Dual pipes,
              bjs aluminum rad. Electric Fan, sweet new paint job

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                Señor Jackhead
                • Aug 21, 2002

Welcome Patryk.

In years past, the FSJ group has used the City Market grocery parking lot to stage for the trails. Usually meet up starting at 8am and try to hit the road for a trail head by 9. There is gas available there. It is across the main drag from the Big Horn Lodge and a little bit north. The bigger the group, the longer we usually hang at the lot waiting for people. Since our group is small, this hopefully will not be an issue.
                Last edited by fulsizjeep; 04-13-2012, 10:20 AM.
                Flint
                Ran when parked.
                http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Blake
                  304 AMC
                  • Dec 22, 2005

I am also camping at the canyon lands, but won't be there until Wednesday night.

Comment

• letank
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jun 03, 2002

As for camping, if you can rough it up, south of Moab airport there a road on the right "mill canyon rd", cross the train tracks, and take a left after 1/2 mile, stay left, cross a small stream, the dirt road "cortez mine rd" will now parallel the highway... there are a few sites on spurs going up the side of the mountain.

A few roads in that area have been designated as mountain bike only.

A few years ago it started to be mandatory to have some sort of portable toilet... plastic seat with attach plastic bag... should do it.

Good view, but bad if it gets windy, your tent will fill up with sand.
                    Michel
                    74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                    85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                      Señor Jackhead
                      • Aug 21, 2002

Just about ready. New 35" General Grabbers. Trimmed another 1.5 to 2" sheet metal around fender openings. Got the extra inch of lift in back and 1" wheel spacers on. The 2" blocks were replaced with 3". This levels the GW back out. Went and pounded the hill out behind our house and it felt pretty darn good. The carb is running so nice I think I am done except for some foam to seal off the rear fenders. Later I will look at getting that tightened up with some sheet metal.
                      Last edited by fulsizjeep; 04-14-2012, 09:08 AM.
                      Flint
                      Ran when parked.
                      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                        Murphy's Law Poster Child
                        • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by phisohex
                        thinkin of campin on kane creed rd. somewhere.. canyonlands isnt too dog friendly. im sure we can meet up, although i have a less capable rig then yous.
                        That's a great spot to camp, there's a few spots across the creek from the road shortly after the switchbacks that are pretty nice. Never had any issues with having the dog there.
                        You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
                        '88 GW
                        '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• Blake
                          304 AMC
                          • Dec 22, 2005

We extended our reservations at the canyon lands. Staying there Wednesday night through Saturday night. Leaving early Sunday morning.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                            Señor Jackhead
                            • Aug 21, 2002

Good to chat today Blake. We forego the cab deal and have fun just the same. Will enjoy meeting y'all.

Looking better for Moab fun.
                            Last edited by fulsizjeep; 04-15-2012, 06:54 PM.
                            Flint
                            Ran when parked.

Comment

• Blake
                              304 AMC
                              • Dec 22, 2005

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                              Good to chat today Blake. We forego the cab deal and have fun just the same. Will enjoy meeting y'all.

Looking better for Moab fun.
                              Yes, very nice to chat with you Flint!

We (GF and I) are very much looking forward to the trip. We've been messing with the new sand rail the past couple of days then I suddenly realized this trip is only a couple of days away Backed the J10 into the garage and started the packing process tonight. It takes some very creative packing to take a truggy on a trip like this.

Comment

• COLOFIREMAN
                                Gone,But not Forgotten.
                                • Apr 09, 2005

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                                Just about ready. New 35" General Grabbers. Trimmed another 1.5 to 2" sheet metal around fender openings. Got the extra inch of lift in back and 1" wheel spacers on. The 2" blocks were replaced with 3". This levels the GW back out. Went and pounded the hill out behind our house and it felt pretty darn good. The carb is running so nice I think I am done except for some foam to seal off the rear fenders. Later I will look at getting that tightened up with some sheet metal.
                                What did those run ya Flint? How do they drive?
                                Jason in the Mountains
                                1978 J10 LB,OE 4-speed,4:10's,4BBl,and just 85K(daily driver)
                                1988 Grand Waggy 8" lift 35" A/T's (under construction)
                                1984 CJ7 12" lift 39" Iroks 1 tons
                                1979 Cherokee Super Chief (under construction )
                                1974 J-10 LB Buick 455 BB 4" lift 33" BFG tires
                                1973 J-4800 LB plow truck 7" lift 255/85/16 LT Truxs MT's

Comment

Working...
                                X