• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robber80
    350 Buick
    • Sep 14, 2002

chevy rear springs

my friend and i might do the chevy springs swap for the rear, just want to know what years to look for.
    *Sold to move* off the frame tube buggy, front 35spline HPd60, rear 35 spline D60. Np203/205 doubled with 3.2 to 1 gear in the 203. TBI 350/th400. Full hydro. and 44s. come get some.
  • rockjeep44
    The Advisor
    • Oct 15, 2001

I forget what years, just find a 1/2ton Chevy pickup and measure the eye to eye length without weight on them. Should be about 63" if my memory serves me correctly. Should take all of about five minutes in the junkyard. Oh, and remove the overload.

[ July 01, 2004, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: rockjeep44 ]
    Buggy Buildup

Originally posted by welchct
    There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.
    "The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper

Comment

What andrew said.... 63" and remove the overload.... I used 96 3/4T Burb springs... 1/2T would be better IMHO.. but whats free was better for me at the time.

Just remember... if you mount them without moving the front mount.. you will shift your axle rearward about 4.5".. like I did... then just move the rear mount back a bit. center spring pins are centered on GM springs.. not offset like ourFSJ's
      Todd
      www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Will Morris
        350 Buick
        • Nov 24, 2002

If you get half ton Rob you need to make sure that it's '88 to '97/'98 or whenever they did the redesign. I'm not sure on the exact year but don't get something earlier than '88 because I measured them and they're too short. Early 90s is your best bet.

Oh yeah, PM or email me what you're doing with your cage and whether or not you're buying Joe's since I'll be headed to Maine the 7th-8th of August, maybe we can work something out.

Take it easy,
        Will
        '78 Cherokee NT in GA
        '79 J10 Golden Eagle in UT

Comment

• SeaBass44
          230 Tornado
          • Jun 23, 2004

88-98 2wd or 4wd same part #

Comment

• rockjeep44
            The Advisor
            • Oct 15, 2001

Hey Will, lemme know if ya'll work something out on that. I've got a rear bumper and sliders he wants too. Just been holding off on shipping them so far hoping we could work out a cheaper means of delivery.
            Buggy Buildup

Originally posted by welchct
            There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.
            "The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper

Comment

• Robber80
              350 Buick
              • Sep 14, 2002

hey will i'll deffenetly talk to you abotu that. by way, if i move the front mount forward 4.5" can i keep the same wheel base? andrew we could be on to something, talk to joe about droping the price ont eh cage if you can.
              *Sold to move* off the frame tube buggy, front 35spline HPd60, rear 35 spline D60. Np203/205 doubled with 3.2 to 1 gear in the 203. TBI 350/th400. Full hydro. and 44s. come get some.

Comment

• Will Morris
                350 Buick
                • Nov 24, 2002

Rob, the Chevy springs will move your rear axle back about 3" so keeping the same wheel base while moving the front forward will require moving the spring mounts around to get your desired wheelbase. With your Miller, this shouldn't be too much of a problem for you.

As far as the cage etc. if you work something out let me know. I'm stuck in summer school, so my free time is just about nonexistent, but I'll try to work something out.

Andrew, I may be looking at an LT1 in Chattanooga soon though, so I could pick everything up then, have a beer with ya, and maybe turn a wrench or two on the buggy if I have time.

Take it easy,
                Will
                '78 Cherokee NT in GA
                '79 J10 Golden Eagle in UT

Comment

Like Will said.. to keep the wheelbase the same... you will have to relocate the mounts...
                  Todd
                  www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Robber80
                    350 Buick
                    • Sep 14, 2002

just the front mounts though right?

Comment

• KYJ10
                      360 AMC
                      • May 05, 2002

I moved my stuff all around, so Im not sure, but being that the center pin is not offset, I would think that both mounts would have to be moved to retain stock wheelbase. Dennis
                      Starting to miss the addiction!

Comment

Most likely you will have to move all 4 mounts to get the wheelbase the same...
                        Todd
                        www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Robber80
                          350 Buick
                          • Sep 14, 2002

ahh, i see what you are saying now. i don't knwo what i was thinking.

Comment

Wouldn't 63" be too long, ours are 57" right? And if you didn't want to change the wheelbase or move the front mount, couldn't you just drill the spring pack and move the center pin? I'm just wondering.
                            David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
                            83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
                            10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

Dave,

The longer the spring.. the better the ride and more flex...

Now... you could drill the centerpin... and...since he he is running a rear flip kit... he can easily swap the left and right rear mounts to accomodate the longer springs and be set up in no time flat!!!

I just dont know about redrilling the springs...
                              Todd
                              www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X