International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 08-10-2013, 02:44 PM
232 I6

LED headlights...anyone look at these yet?

On quadratec

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_300.htm

7inch...round....if someone has...how much fabrication to mount?
Nitto grappler 33x12.5x15s
Old 08-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Shakes hands with danger

That link leads to halogen H4 lamps, not LED. They appear to be kitted with "xenon" (gimmick) bulbs. Gimmick bulbs are worse than standard halogen bulbs. If they are HID retrofits, that's even worse than gimmick bulbs, as they put a whole lot of light into a housing that was designed for an optically different halogen bulb. The result is a hell of a lot of very dangerous glare for oncoming traffic.

If you want truly excellent H4 headlamps, spend a little more and get some Cibie lamps:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

I have used these for many years and will continue to do so as long as I have a need to see where I am going at night. Cibie does a better job than any other H4 lamp maker at putting light where it helps the driver without blinding oncoming drivers on low beam, and the high beam is just as good.

Either the Delta lamps you saw or the Cibie will be a direct fit with no modifications required. However, to get real light output (and protect your headlamp switch and wiring harness), you will want to use relays with any headlamp.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

HUH

The lights in your link are not a direct fit.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:09 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by serehill
The lights in your link are not a direct fit.
With all his other mods he may be looking at a grill conversion. I've always liked the Hella E-code round headlamps. A lot of great useable light. I do a lot of night driving so I need what I can get.
1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin
Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Great lighting is a must

Hid 's are great systems done right like any system. If you haven't done them & done them correctly judging by bias & no experience is normal. You see it time & time again & posting & literature from a few years ago. They are bad JUJU. Like most new technology that gets mis-proven as design improves. It's where EFI HEI Variable timing all came from. I remember the early years of EFI. It was nothing but trouble. It was only for the rich ETC. LOL WE were the lab rats that developed that & other technology.
There's nothing special about this kit & you can get the same results for a lot better pricing. Cut off points & correct direction spots instead of floods are not a product of the bulb or what it is made of. It's a product of the housing design. These are not LED lighting & anyone that has experienced them knows they can be a blinder just like any miss-used systems. I have driving lights for excessive lighting. My HIDs rock. The housings I bought 4 years ago out of Germany are no longer available. I'm looking for some right now for my Commando. I'll find some & I'll use them. Might as well get used to them though. HIDs are showing up on all kinds of new cars.
Anyways these are not a bolt in & you can get the same performance, that is with research.

jeepfan93,
You may be right I don't know but he was asking what it took to put them in. But if he isn't installing Wrangler hardware then these will take some mods to the mount in housing & the trim both. You could do the same thing with a similar housing that is designed to fit with exactly the same results with no mods. But if he's putting WRANGLER GEAR/ hardware ???? on the front of his FSJ then I agree. If you're doing this to make this work then that's the long way to a solution. I'm sure Delta makes a h4 system. Probably cheaper.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Last edited by serehill : 08-11-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 AM
232 I6

I converted to the razor grille long ago.
But it's been sitting so long between shops...the aux lights are wrecked.
If they made these for CJs (which I couldn't find) it should be easier.
Just wondering if someone had already looked into it and it worked/didn't work.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Shakes hands with danger

Serehill, I think you may have misunderstood me. We are on the same page. As you said,
Quote:
Originally Posted by serehill
Cut off points & correct direction spots instead of floods are not a product of the bulb or what it is made of. It's a product of the housing design.

Using high quality HID capsules in a housing designed for HIDs is great! Using a cheap (poor quality) aftermarket HID kit, or using any HID capsule in a housing (reflector and lens) designed for a halogen bulb, pretty much guarantees bad results. As an example, my wife's ZJ has absolutely terrible factory headlamps, with a 9004 bulb and a miserable housing design. Plenty of people cram fleaBay-grade HID retrofits in those. They do get "brighter headlights", but in the process they produce enough glare to singe the eyebrows of anyone unfortunate enough to meet them in traffic at night.

I was under the impression that 7" round Wrangler headlamps used the same mounting configuration as any other 7" round headlight. Could have sworn I'd seen people swapping them into different vehicles with little to no effort...

The Cibie H4 is still worth a look if David wants more light to see with at night rather than prettier lights to look at in the daytime. They provide much wider, more even light distribution than the E-code Hella, which really helps you see as much as possible. Hellas also use a much broader low-high beam vertical separation than Cibie, which means your high beams are in the treetops when your lows are aimed properly, and lows are on the front bumper when your highs are aimed properly. The Cibie design has much tighter beam separation so both low and high beam are useful.

Anyway, sorry if we drug this off-topic.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

I agree dark we are but it is grossly misunderstood.

No I wasn't attacking your thread just the general consensus on HID. As you have seen & heard. I can tell you I have been blinded by Cibies before when you're in front of them. Any bright light in the right position can do this no matter how well engineered it is.

I would be surprised if Delta didn't manufacture a H4 type 7" system but they may not. There's just tons of other choices. I would divorce myself from delta & then the opportunities would be much better. Cibie, KC & several others do this. My apologies if it came off I was saying you were incorrect Dark.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Last edited by serehill : 08-11-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Shakes hands with danger

No worries, no offense taken and no apology necessary! I just didn't want to give the impression I was anti-HID or anti-technology.

There are many ways to improve lighting with a vehicle that came with sealed beam headlights. The flush-face late model stuff...not so much.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Ditto

I SUPPOSE THE BEST EXAMPLE OF REDICULOUS TECHNOLOGY WAS BACK IN THE 60'S IF SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TOLD ME SOMEDAY YOU COULD BUY A FACTORY CAR WITH FUEL INJECTION OR A BLOWER. I WOULD WONDER WHAT DRUGS YOU WERE TAKING LOL.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Old 08-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Shakes hands with danger

Oh...you mean like the fuel injected '57 Corvette or McCulloch-supercharged '57 Ford?

Then again, in the 60s, those drugs may have been more interesting than they are now.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Yeah those were exceptions

They didn't roll off the assembly line that way they were put on after the fact by performance divisions & they sucked. Close to aftermarket & not anything like what's on cars today. The corvette FI change tune about every 30 minutes.
Sorry I have digressed. Back to Headlight I have to admit it fun but noit my thread lol.

David,
How much research have you put into this adventure because there's as stated before tons of these system out there like the KC's Cibies ETC.

To me this is the best system with halogens if you want to stay with halogens & more affordable than most this is an example you might find a better deal but I doubt it.
http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-00239507.../dp/B000VU7C1Y

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Last edited by serehill : 08-11-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 PM
232 I6

No research, yet.
Just happened to get an email from quadratic highlighting products (this being one) on the same day I checked on my rig...and saw how trashed the aux lights had gotten. I'm going to have to replace them anyway...
Old 08-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Well you did manage all the other mods on your truck. That's a 7 inch light. Cj lights are 7 inches, right? Razor is a 7 inch light? Only difference I could see is how it would attach to the headlight bezel. I'd get a set of TJ lights from the junkyard just to make sure you cam use them. The close up of that pic of the lights seems to have attaching tabs on them.
1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin
Old 08-13-2013, 07:24 AM
BJ's Off-Road

We carry several and have sold a good number of both round and rectangular:

Round Truck-Lite:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/ProdInfo.asp?pid=1062&cid=2

Rectangle Truck-Lite:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/ProdInfo.asp?pid=1367&cid=2

Rectangle JW Speaker:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/ProdInfo.asp?pid=1386&cid=2
Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMonohue
Oh...you mean like the fuel injected '57 Corvette or McCulloch-supercharged '57 Ford?

Then again, in the 60s, those drugs may have been more interesting than they are now.

Don't limit yourself, they made Chevy Bel Airs in '57 fuel injected also.

CJ truck project
'18 Jeep Renegade
'15 Jeep Cherokee