International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-01-2019, 03:07 PM
PlasticBoob's Avatar
PlasticBoob PlasticBoob is offline
All Makes Combined
 
Join Date: Jun 30, 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthebeatenpath
I have no idea what a voodoo box is or how a TBI unit off of a 454 is supposed to work on a 258 or 230 ci engine. Wouldn't I have a stack of adapters just to get the bolt pattern and barrel count right?

There are smaller TBI units that will work on the 258. Or like DarkMonohue suggested, just go factory MPFI. There are a lot of better options than fiddling with carburetors.
__________________
Rob
1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
Click for video

The Southern California FSJ forum
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-01-2019, 03:53 PM
offthebeatenpath's Avatar
offthebeatenpath offthebeatenpath is offline
232 I6
 
Join Date: May 31, 2019
Location: MT
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticBoob
There are smaller TBI units that will work on the 258. Or like DarkMonohue suggested, just go factory MPFI. There are a lot of better options than fiddling with carburetors.

That may work fine for the 258, I know you can swap heads and all that.

I have considerably less options for my 230.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-01-2019, 04:14 PM
PlasticBoob's Avatar
PlasticBoob PlasticBoob is offline
All Makes Combined
 
Join Date: Jun 30, 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthebeatenpath
That may work fine for the 258, I know you can swap heads and all that.

I have considerably less options for my 230.

Not sure what the flow rate is, but I would wager that the TBI unit from a Chevy 4.3l V6 (160hp) would work just fine on a 230 once you get it mounted. I'm running a 454 unit on a 401 (407 actually, a 47 cubic inch difference), and the difference between the 4.3 and the 230 is even less - 32 cubic inches.

There is also the TBI unit from a GM LG6 (or similar) 3.1l V6 that might be more in line with the power output of a Tornado. That might be a better match.

I still see a good amount of them whenever I visit the junkyards, too. Just something to consider.

The Tornado is one of the coolest engines around, is there any way you could take some videos of it running? There's not a lot of high quality Tornado videos around. Would love to hear the exhaust too!
__________________
Rob
1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
Click for video

The Southern California FSJ forum
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-03-2019, 11:52 AM
offthebeatenpath's Avatar
offthebeatenpath offthebeatenpath is offline
232 I6
 
Join Date: May 31, 2019
Location: MT
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticBoob
Not sure what the flow rate is, but I would wager that the TBI unit from a Chevy 4.3l V6 (160hp) would work just fine on a 230 once you get it mounted. I'm running a 454 unit on a 401 (407 actually, a 47 cubic inch difference), and the difference between the 4.3 and the 230 is even less - 32 cubic inches.

There is also the TBI unit from a GM LG6 (or similar) 3.1l V6 that might be more in line with the power output of a Tornado. That might be a better match.

I still see a good amount of them whenever I visit the junkyards, too. Just something to consider.

The Tornado is one of the coolest engines around, is there any way you could take some videos of it running? There's not a lot of high quality Tornado videos around. Would love to hear the exhaust too!

I haven't looked into a TBI set up yet, but now you've got me thinking. I've had my engine running with the 1 barrel carb, and just picked up the 2 barrel manifold, so I'd like to get that dialed in so that I can drive it before I dive into something else.

The idea of the TBI for cold starts sure sounds amazing though. We have just a couple of those here in Montana.

I can definitely get some videos of it running, but I'll need to get my cylinder head back first
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-04-2019, 01:02 AM
FSJunkie's Avatar
FSJunkie FSJunkie is offline
The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2011
Location: Not The Hot Part, Arizona
Posts: 3,989
Just remember that TBI is not a replacement for controlled heating of the intake air and intake manifold. TBI needs that just as much as a carburetor.
__________________
'72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
258 carb rebuild kit brentwood General FSJ Tech 8 10-10-2015 12:27 AM
Best NEW Bolt On 258 Carb jcook5003 General FSJ Tech 15 05-13-2014 12:04 PM
258 Carb heater? grand_wag_85 General FSJ Tech 6 02-04-2010 08:06 PM
258 carb options.... Stuka General FSJ Tech 7 03-31-2003 10:12 PM
Rebuilt carb ----> Gas leak! (UPDATE) jode General FSJ Tech 15 11-25-2002 05:10 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
corner corner