International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-01-2019, 03:07 PM
All Makes Combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthebeatenpath
I have no idea what a voodoo box is or how a TBI unit off of a 454 is supposed to work on a 258 or 230 ci engine. Wouldn't I have a stack of adapters just to get the bolt pattern and barrel count right?

There are smaller TBI units that will work on the 258. Or like DarkMonohue suggested, just go factory MPFI. There are a lot of better options than fiddling with carburetors.

The Southern California FSJ forum
Old 09-01-2019, 03:53 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticBoob
There are smaller TBI units that will work on the 258. Or like DarkMonohue suggested, just go factory MPFI. There are a lot of better options than fiddling with carburetors.

That may work fine for the 258, I know you can swap heads and all that.

I have considerably less options for my 230.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:14 PM
All Makes Combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthebeatenpath
That may work fine for the 258, I know you can swap heads and all that.

I have considerably less options for my 230.

Not sure what the flow rate is, but I would wager that the TBI unit from a Chevy 4.3l V6 (160hp) would work just fine on a 230 once you get it mounted. I'm running a 454 unit on a 401 (407 actually, a 47 cubic inch difference), and the difference between the 4.3 and the 230 is even less - 32 cubic inches.

There is also the TBI unit from a GM LG6 (or similar) 3.1l V6 that might be more in line with the power output of a Tornado. That might be a better match.

I still see a good amount of them whenever I visit the junkyards, too. Just something to consider.

The Tornado is one of the coolest engines around, is there any way you could take some videos of it running? There's not a lot of high quality Tornado videos around. Would love to hear the exhaust too!

The Southern California FSJ forum
Old 09-03-2019, 11:52 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticBoob
Not sure what the flow rate is, but I would wager that the TBI unit from a Chevy 4.3l V6 (160hp) would work just fine on a 230 once you get it mounted. I'm running a 454 unit on a 401 (407 actually, a 47 cubic inch difference), and the difference between the 4.3 and the 230 is even less - 32 cubic inches.

There is also the TBI unit from a GM LG6 (or similar) 3.1l V6 that might be more in line with the power output of a Tornado. That might be a better match.

I still see a good amount of them whenever I visit the junkyards, too. Just something to consider.

The Tornado is one of the coolest engines around, is there any way you could take some videos of it running? There's not a lot of high quality Tornado videos around. Would love to hear the exhaust too!

I haven't looked into a TBI set up yet, but now you've got me thinking. I've had my engine running with the 1 barrel carb, and just picked up the 2 barrel manifold, so I'd like to get that dialed in so that I can drive it before I dive into something else.

The idea of the TBI for cold starts sure sounds amazing though. We have just a couple of those here in Montana.

I can definitely get some videos of it running, but I'll need to get my cylinder head back first
Old 09-04-2019, 01:02 AM
The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.

Just remember that TBI is not a replacement for controlled heating of the intake air and intake manifold. TBI needs that just as much as a carburetor.

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.