International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 09-13-2011, 10:27 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5
We fiished the frame and started on the body. Thankfully, there is not a lot of body work but there is ton to do to get the body ready for paint. I had to take the body of the carraige we made to rally get the underneath done properly. The plan is to sand blast and clean the underside of the body first.

We were able to complete the sandblasting. We will spend some time doing some sealing on the seams. There are plenty of those! I noticed there are also plenty of globs of putty stuck in all kinds of places. These things certainly have gaps in thier manufacture...lol.

The plan after seam sealing is to fill the gaps with putty and spray the channels with internal frame coating. Then w will spray the entire bottom with rust encapsulator. This will be our first coating. Then we will spray with primer and paint...later.
sweet
Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showngo
Painting looks good,but if your gonna wheel it spray some kind of truck bed lining.It wil help sound deadin,and won't chip like paint will.Also you can coat w/armor all ,before you wheel,and it will wash off easy.The other choice is a product that 3m makes that is textured like undercoat ,or bedliner,durable,and you can tint it the same color as the truck.Great Father ,and son project,by the way.I will be starting one w/my son in a couple years .can't wait!

Those are some good ideas, but we will not be wheeling this one. If he wants to hit the woods then he has other options that are built for that. This one is going to be a daily driver.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 09-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Master Mechanic

The underside is done. Primer, sand, primer, sand, sealer, base coat, pearl tint, clear coat.

Sealer

Basecoat

Pearl/Clear coat

Obviously it is hard to tell anything from the pics. I will get it outside in the sun and see if I can get a better pic.

I did the underside to learn and I did figure out several things and the diffeent adjustments to my gun based on what I am spraying. I got a few runs spraying the sealer, I should have know it being a 1:1 mix. After that things went well.

The paint was an Infiniti/Nissan White Pearl #QAB. I chose it because it has a gold pearl and thought it would pop a little with the brown/nutmeg. I saw a car with the color. I am not too happy with it right now. It looks more gray/silver. The base seemed more gray than white. I will have to see it in the sun. The finis itself looks good and has that tri-coat look so that part I am happy with. I will just have to see the color in the sun against the nutmeg door panels or carpet. This is another reason why I painted the bottom first. I can change if I am not happy and no one will be the wiser.

I decided to undercoat the wheel wells. That decision didn't work like I wanted it too. The paint doesn't look good on it so I am going to have to find a fix.

It is hard to tell anything from the pictures but I will try some closeups and different angles in the sun, and post.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Old 09-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Master Mechanic

We rolled it outside in the sun and I have been staring at it all morning. I think we a good on the color. In the sun, it does have a gold tint to it. I believe we got the correct amount of pearl sprayed. I can see severa spots where I didn't get good coverage with my basecoat but all and all I think it turned out good. I may need to invest in a better gun to get a little better spray and consistency.

Before

after

These are some close-ups. It is still hard to see the depth of the paint but it does look good.

We will next work on the roof. That is pretty much a straight panel so it souldn't take long. Once finished, it will be easy to tape and paper it to protect while we move on to the inside. There is a lot to do.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Old 09-18-2011, 04:10 PM
258 I6

Looking great to me!
'82 CJ-8 Scrambler
Old 10-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Master Mechanic

We made some progress. We have the roof finished. Basically the same process and the underside, with the exception we used epoxy primer for our based rather than the rust encapsulator.

We wanted to add something to the blank slate so we polished the luggage strips and put them on temporarily.

I still did not get the paint perfect. I am going to try a different gun. I worked and worked to get the one I have dialed in to my satisfaction but just cannot. It just doesn't seem to lay the paint down perfectly and I am left with some coverage issues. I still have the opportunity to get better when I paint the inside and misc. parts. It may end up being my paint skills but I am blaming the gun right now.

Next step will be to flip it back upright and finish sanding the inside and getting it prepped to paint.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Last edited by CJ5 : 10-06-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Master Mechanic

We have reached another milestone. The body, inside and outside has now been blasted! We only have a few parts left to blast and we can be done with that torture.

I was orginally not going to blast the exterior but decided yesterday to just get it done and I am glad I did. It went fast and we completed it in about 1 hour or so. Nyx did most of it so she is taking a break and checking Jared's work.

We are going to go around the inside and remove all of the loose caulk and fix any dings or rust issues. Then we will give it all a good coat of epoxy primer. We have some filler to put in on both floor boards but everything else is good. We will then recaulk every thing and then add additional caulk where needed.

Before we expoxy prime the inside, we will also pre-prep the outside and shoot it also. Like mentioned before, there is very little body work needed so from now until paint should go pretty quick. Before we do anything we have to find a good way to remove those pesky stripes. Obviously, the didn't blast away nor does that jelly like paint remover touch them. If anyone has any good ideas, I am all ears.

We will cover and tape off the roof, of course. Once I moved it outside, I was very happy with the paint choice and look. It really looks good and will work real well with the nutmeg interior and stripes. We both are pleased. I will use the inside to finish my pratice skills then I have to decide if I am going to paint it or find someone.

I got the call today that the motor is ready. I will pick it up this week and give you all the details. The tranny will also be also ready to pick up next week. It will not take much to get those mounted in the chassis. That will be a huge boost.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Old 10-24-2011, 06:00 PM

Cj, there is a tool called a Decal Erraser that attaches to a drill and will buff off stripes w/o cutting into the paint. I bought mine at NAPA.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Dragin Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklaurence
Cj, there is a tool called a Decal Erraser that attaches to a drill and will buff off stripes w/o cutting into the paint. I bought mine at NAPA.

X2, its made by 3M. I went through 2 of them doing the wood on one.

It looks amazing...

46 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 10-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyooMac
I think the one thing that everyone is failing to hear - read - is that you are doing it for the benefit of your relationship with your son. In today's day and age I commend your efforts. Good luck with the restoration, great luck bonding with your son, and may your wife be glad that you are a man of character. I'm subscribed.

X2 that rig is in good shape which always makes a better finished product. I bought mine to rebuild & wound up getting my uninterested son Invlved. It would up cutting my work in half. Now he's restoring a Mustang. & i'm helping him. Certainly quality time.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklaurence

Ok, Thanks! I will check that out.

I am ready to get the paint on before it gets too cold out. Once that is done, we have to decide what we are going to do with the interior. Jared is fine with nutmeg but there some issues lik not being able to get seat belts that same color and a few other things. On the other hand, if we go to a lighter color like camel or tan then I have to paint the dash and moldings. I was going to freshen them up with the nutmeg paint anyway so that isn't abig deal. Seats and door panels are getting recovered so I can go anyway with them. Lots of big decisions on the horizon.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Old 10-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Master Mechanic

Another milestone.....how but some good old-fashonied, grease monkey red meat!!

Our rebuilt 360....courtesy of Chuck and Jason at Hesco.

We had the regular machine work done. Bore block .040, machined heads, new valves and springs, guides/seals, polish/prep crank, pistons, rings, bearings, oil pump, new water pump, timing chain and gear, etc. Everything, cleaned and assembled. I went to thier shop a couple of times but didn't think to snap any pictures of assembly. I wish I had.

We went with stock pistons. We did install new matching springs and lifters with our cam kit. We used an Competition cam 279TH
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1447&sb=2

We also went with an Edlebrock Preformer intake #2131
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ormer-v8.shtml

and matched that with an Edlebrock Preformer carb #1406
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...erformer.shtml

This all will be powered by an AMC HEI Distributor #6512-B

It was all dressed up with some old school AMC Blue Metallic engine paint.

We are in love! I have spent several hours just gazing upon it...lol
There will be plenty of work to be done by getting brackets cleaned and painted..may even powder coat a few. We will test fit everything prior to putting it into the chassis. We also have to decide on how we dress it up from here. Braided hoses, Hi-miler blue hose or whatever.

Yes, I could have done it myself. I have built a few motors and have the skills but for this project I wanted it to be as bulletproof as possible. I am not a pro engine builder and I wanted this project to be as good as I can make it for Jared.

Even Nyx is overwhelmed.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Old 10-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Master Mechanic

Thumbs down I read in your post that you could not find "Nutmeg"

I bought a complete interior set on Ebay, with the Matt backing complete with 2 yds extra material for doors etc. $400. The vendor sent me Nutmeg and the shade above it and below it as samples.

I actually liked the "Cinnamon" color better when laying it on the dash and door panals. It really made the rest of the trim pop. I am having the seats done in an Ochre color which is basically nutmeg. I don't have pics yet as the seats are still in upholstery.

If you haven't bought your carpet yet maybe i can send some pics when I get it back....a few weeks guessing,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5
Another milestone.....how but some good old-fashonied, grease monkey red meat!!

Our rebuilt 360....courtesy of Chuck and Jason at Hesco.

We had the regular machine work done. Bore block .040, machined heads, new valves and springs, guides/seals, polish/prep crank, pistons, rings, bearings, oil pump, new water pump, timing chain and gear, etc. Everything, cleaned and assembled. I went to thier shop a couple of times but didn't think to snap any pictures of assembly. I wish I had.

We went with stock pistons. We did install new matching springs and lifters with our cam kit. We used an Competition cam 279TH
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1447&sb=2

We also went with an Edlebrock Preformer intake #2131
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ormer-v8.shtml

and matched that with an Edlebrock Preformer carb #1406
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...erformer.shtml

This all will be powered by an AMC HEI Distributor #6512-B

It was all dressed up with some old school AMC Blue Metallic engine paint.

We are in love! I have spent several hours just gazing upon it...lol
There will be plenty of work to be done by getting brackets cleaned and painted..may even powder coat a few. We will test fit everything prior to putting it into the chassis. We also have to decide on how we dress it up from here. Braided hoses, Hi-miler blue hose or whatever.

Yes, I could have done it myself. I have built a few motors and have the skills but for this project I wanted it to be as bulletproof as possible. I am not a pro engine builder and I wanted this project to be as good as I can make it for Jared.

Even Nyx is overwhelmed.
Mallory HEI, AMC 360, Motorcraft 2150
Old 10-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5
We got a lot done this week. We were able to finished the front axles and brakes.

We got everything installed and in working order.

Hubs cleaned and prepped and then installed.

I think I have an issue with my axle seal. I thought about it while I was assembling it but for whatever reason didn't think to check my old rotor to verify. I put the inner seal in and tapped it in until it bottomed out. Today I was looking at my old rotor and saw the seal was flush. I guess I will need to disassemble everything and fix it.

Wrong..unless someone tells me otherwise

We also cleaned our wheels. I originally thought they were some kind of anodized pweter looking color but found out later they were just really bad oxidized. Some paint stripper cleaned them up well. We will finish with a nice polish. You can see the difference.

Before

After

We will finish the tank and skid, steering box and few odd and ends this week. I am waiting on new brake lines before I can reinstall the gas tank and finish the chassis.

Sorry for all the pics, I hope it isn't a drag to some.

What brand paint stripped did you use and how did you apply it?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:09 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewis
What brand paint stripped did you use and how did you apply it?

I am not sure of the brand, I will look tonight. It was just the gel type paint stripper. Applied with a paint brush, wait 10 minutes, scrub lightly with a scrub brush and rinse.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Old 10-31-2011, 09:40 AM

Wow

You guys have done an amazing job. He is gonna have one awesome Jeep. What should have been my childhood Father/Son project just became an additional workbench in my dad's garage. A 1969 Mercury Cougar XR7 convertible. It's been under a piece of plastic (among other things) for the past 15 years. He is a lucky kid. Excellent work, I hope I can do something close to that good.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:18 PM

Yes, Nyx is Exstatic!
Cool project. I have one with my son also but my goal was to get it running (Only)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 PM
350 Buick

very nice work.

CJ truck project
'18 Jeep Renegade
'15 Jeep Cherokee
Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by svining
I bought a complete interior set on Ebay, with the Matt backing complete with 2 yds extra material for doors etc. $400. The vendor sent me Nutmeg and the shade above it and below it as samples.

I actually liked the "Cinnamon" color better when laying it on the dash and door panals. It really made the rest of the trim pop. I am having the seats done in an Ochre color which is basically nutmeg. I don't have pics yet as the seats are still in upholstery.

If you haven't bought your carpet yet maybe i can send some pics when I get it back....a few weeks guessing,

Thanks. I can get nutmeg, I just cannot get new seat belts in nutmeg and I have to go off the reservation to get a nutmeg headliner. Those are not huge issues but just something I have to work out if we keep the color.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Old 11-02-2011, 10:57 AM
304 AMC

Nice project !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5
Thanks. I can get nutmeg, I just cannot get new seat belts in nutmeg and I have to go off the reservation to get a nutmeg headliner. Those are not huge issues but just something I have to work out if we keep the color.

Olympic white / Nutmeg is my favorite combo (well besides Red that Jeep used.

For seatbelts, just do like CJ's and use black seatbelts.
82 CJ-8 75K org SR decals
82 Cheroeke Laredo 24K
83 CJ-8 50K 401, ARB60's, F&R Winch, 38"
84 CJ-7 38K Garnet Int., Jeep 8274 winch
84 CJ-8 mud Scrambler
87 J 20 36K smooth alum camper & boat rack.