• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • USN_Chief
    232 I6
    • Feb 03, 2011

Wagoneer to cherokee drive line Interchangeability

Guys,
    looks like i will be getting a 1979 jeep cherokee now I have found a 1988 grand wagoneer that has complete driveline in it about 25 miles from my house for very cheap. Would it be worth getting the 1988 and swapping it over to the 1979? They are both 360 motor vehicles?
    Thanks Matt
    You cannot invade America! There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass. Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

79 wil have 360 GM th400 trans Q-trac transfercase, and pass drop front axle rear pumpkin offset to pass side. 88 will have 360 Mopar TF727 trans np229 transfercase, drivers drop front axle, centered rear axle.

could be done...............but you would need to swap everything and that would most likely include gas tank as well for drive shaft clearance. If you need just the motor that would be easy, anything beyond that, I would consider body swap.............even then
    Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
    Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• USN_Chief
      232 I6
      • Feb 03, 2011

Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman
      79 wil have 360 GM th400 trans Q-trac transfercase, and pass drop front axle rear pumpkin offset to pass side. 88 will have 360 Mopar TF727 trans np229 transfercase, drivers drop front axle, centered rear axle.

could be done...............but you would need to swap everything and that would most likely include gas tank as well for drive shaft clearance. If you need just the motor that would be easy, anything beyond that, I would consider body swap.............even then

Thanks that is exactly what I needed to make up my mind will just leave the 79 as-is and work with it.
      Thanks Matt
      You cannot invade America! There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass. Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Comment

• seventynine
        350 Buick
        • Apr 13, 2003

Also...if the '79 is a widetrack Chero the axles will be wider than the GW.
        Dean

'79 J10
        '77 Cherokee Chief
        '79 CJ-7
        '79 CJ-5
        '46 CJ-2A
        '93 ZJ Limted
        '79 Cherokee Chief (traded for the J10)
        '79 Wagoneer (RIP)
        '13 FLSTN Softail Deluxe

Comment

Working...