• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 440sixpack
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 21, 2016

Ball Joints

Has anyone had better luck with one brand of ball joint over another ? I had my alignment shop put new ones in my J10 and it drives like crap. even after some use they're so stiff it want to stay wherever you leave the wheel.

Moog always makes good stuff and they sell a " problem solver " joint that's supposed to lube better and be smoother. unless I hear a better idea I think I'll put a set in place of the Chinese junk I have in there now.
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

it may not be the ball joints causing this, you will need to start disconnecting steering linkage one at a time to see if a joint is seizing then after you have them separated you can check each knuckle to see if it is to tight, they have a screw it adjuster that may be to tight or they never adjusted when they swapped out ball joints. If all that checks out, look at steering bow and then caster angle on the front end.

Comment

• 440sixpack
      327 Rambler
      • Jul 21, 2016

Everything is new including a Redhead steering box.

We even added extra caster to see if it would help. it didn't.

With the tie rod unhooked one spindle moves hard, the other really hard.

An adjustment on ball joint tension? where is that located ?

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
        350 Buick
        • Feb 15, 2010

Top ball joints, there will be a 4 slot screw in sleeve that adjust tension on the top joint, service manual will have detailed instructions on proper torque. will need special tool, similar to a front hub socket but smaller. Now if they are correct then the ball joints were damaged when installing and will need to be replaced, I always use spicer( factory).

Comment

• 440sixpack
          327 Rambler
          • Jul 21, 2016

Thanks I think I'm going to replace them anyway but I'll be sure to get it right when I replace them. I have the TSM so I'll check it out.

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

There are some really good D44 ball joints out there.
            A google search will bring up different brands and opinions.
            I suggest you take a look @ xrf balljoints.
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Originally posted by babywag
              There are some really good D44 ball joints out there.
              A google search will bring up different brands and opinions.
              I suggest you take a look @ xrf balljoints.

I've looked into the XRF parts a few times, and the one thing I'm not crazy about is that they do not sell direct to customers, you must go through a distributor.

This isn't the end of the world for a decent product, however. I contacted them to find a local distributor and Dawn (from XRF) referred me to Brad Benson at DK Diesel Performance & Offroad, as there are no local distributors here.

Brad's Phone number is : 360-815-2098 Ext# 2

Disclaimer: this is not a plug for either XRF or DK Diesel. I have yet to use any XRF parts and have never dealt with DK Diesel. I am simply restating the information given to me by XRF for anyone here without a local distributor that is interested in their parts.

Additional info: Dawn just got back to me again, and XRF *will* sell directly to customers if you call them, but they do not offer free shipping (might still be cheaper than markup from a distributor?).

aa
              Last edited by Cecil14; 10-05-2018, 01:23 PM.
              1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

Working...
              X