• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conn
    230 Tornado
    • Jun 23, 2000

3spd to 4spd J-10 swap questions....

I'm going to attempt to put a 4-speed in our old j-10 farm truck and can the stock 3 speed. will the new 4spd transmision need to be out of a j-10,20 or cherokee or can i get it from a CJ? will i have to change the bellhousing, flywheel or anything else? the engine is a 360. if i'm going to have to chase down a bunch of parts, i'll just leave it be.
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Help us out here with what year J-10...1974 or 1987?
    If you have an early J-10(74-79) most CJ 4 speeds like a T-176/T-18 will bolt up to both the motor and the D20 x-case. If it's a later J-10 w/208 x-case...some CJ manuals will/won't bolt up.
    In any case you'll need a trands from a V8 if your J-10 is a V8 or one from a 258 if yours has a 258 or you'll need to swap input shafts on the tranny and depending what x-case you have you may have issues there as to what will bolt to the x-case. Also driveshafts will be an issue.
    Maybe just let us know what you have/year/motor/trans/x-case and what trans you want to use/year/model/donor rig/etc and we'll get back to ya
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Conn
      230 Tornado
      • Jun 23, 2000

my j-10 is a 1975, 360 v-8, 3 speed manual shift. i'm pretty sure it's got a dana 20 x-case. it's 2 speed so i'm assuming it is. it looks like the same one that was in my old IH scout which was a dana 20. for the donor vehicle, i'm looking for anything that will work.....cj's commandos, whatever....there are quite a few old cj's in the local boneyards. that's what i've seen the most of. if i can get a 4 speed out of a cj...i understand that i'll have to make a driveshaft???? i'm assuming that i'll need to get the complete assembly of the bellhousing, flywheel and everything off a 4spd...right? or will the 4 spd gearbox bolt up to the current 3 spd bellhousing without any problems? my main goal here is to get a lower 1st gear. i would like to have a "granny low" 4 speed. not sure if that is classified as t-18 or t-19. i'm dumb when it comes to tranny ID. thatnks for the help. i appreciate it.

conn

[ February 23, 2002: Message edited by: Conn ]</p>

Comment

Working...
      X