• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The PIG Smith
    King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by Mars
    Good news and bad news, seems the heads and valves are fine, but I either have a collapsed lifter or a cam lobe wiping.
    Mike,

Be prepared for the cam/lifter to be bad.
    My 1981 J20 has it's 360 #1 intake cam lobe get wiped out.
    Next, my 1982 J10, same thing, but the #1 exhaust lobe gone.

I was fortunate to get a running rebuilt engine from a Forum member and while I started the engine swap, I discovered all other sorta of issues that needs my attention.
    (rust, wiring nightmare, rust, front end needs rebuilt, rust, ball joints, rust, maybe a transmission leak, did I say rust already?)
    The lack of $$$ and time and then I moved this summer and maybe moving again in the next 6 months or so and put my projects on a hold.
    Bryan Smith
    2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
    1986 Jeep J20
    - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
    1982 Jeep J10
    - Has become a Long Term Project.
    1981 Jeep J20
    - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
    1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
    - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
    ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
    Originally posted by Lindel
    Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• Mars
      350 Buick
      • Apr 24, 2010

I know Hoot has one (engine) he can sell me but I don't have the funds.

If it's a bad lifter thats an easy, cheap fix. I had one explode on my olds years ago. I jammed up and bend the pushrod then when the pressure came off all the guts popped out. I bought a new lifter, swapped the new guts into the old lifter housing. Pumped it full of oil and re-assembled it all. Ran like a top for another.. 15 years? So hopefully that will be the case here.

If it's a cam wiped out, that's a pretty straightforward fix. But again don't have the funds and it's gonna sit a while.

Jeeps have a way of eating all your spare cash if you let em. I'm not letting it anymore.

Mike
      Wannabe Fabricator
      Grumpy on a good day.
      1981 J-10 Laredo.. mmmm bucket seats...
      What I'm working on: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...50#post1503850

Comment

• The PIG Smith
        King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

I know Hoot has one (engine) he can sell me but I don't have the funds.
        Tom is a super guy.
        If it's a bad lifter thats an easy, cheap fix. I had one explode on my olds years ago. I jammed up and bend the pushrod then when the pressure came off all the guts popped out. I bought a new lifter, swapped the new guts into the old lifter housing. Pumped it full of oil and re-assembled it all. Ran like a top for another.. 15 years? So hopefully that will be the case here.
        It's my best wishes that a lifter is all that is wrong.
        It would be a cheap and technically easy fix.
        Lot of work, but as easy fix.
        If it's a cam wiped out, that's a pretty straightforward fix. But again don't have the funds and it's gonna sit a while.
        Unfortunately for me, the cam lobe was wiped in both cases.
        I was very fortunate and am very grateful that a fellow forum member came to my rescue with an engine.
        Jeeps have a way of eating all your spare cash if you let em.
        Is is very true, but my wife and kids burn up my spare cash before any Jeep project sees it.
        Bryan Smith
        1986 Jeep J20
        1982 Jeep J10
        1981 Jeep J20
        1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer

Comment

• Mars
          350 Buick
          • Apr 24, 2010

I'll get it figured out, just waiting on the funds to allow me to get it together.
          I don't want to tear it down and find something I cannot fix quick (cam) and as it sits it will crank and run if I need to move it around. My big concern is something more serious lurking after this gets fixed. But it's been in the hands of a bubba and I have many sins to discover and repair. It can be a long process. I figure the next upgrade I get for the Jeep is a AAA membership, I've been very spoiled by my S-10. I would say more but don't wanna jinx myself
          Wannabe Fabricator
          Grumpy on a good day.

Comment

• The PIG Smith
            King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

I've been very spoiled by my S-10. I would say more but don't wanna jinx myself
            I owned a 1988 S10 with the Tahoe trim package that I bought new.
            It was powered by a 4.3 V6 and backed by a 700R4.
            It was a short wheel base, two wheel drive and great little truck.

Late in 1996, I traded it in on a 1995 Chevy Tahoe (a real four door SUV) as my family was growing.
            My Dad was upset with me for he wanted to buy that S10 from me.

It was a great truck.
            It rode well, drove nice, had plenty of power and was generally a fun little truck to own.
            I towed some loads that I should had used a 3/4 ton for, but I was young and not as wise as I am now.
            That little S10 and its strong 4.3 gave a lot and asked so little.
            Bryan Smith
            1986 Jeep J20
            1982 Jeep J10
            1981 Jeep J20
            1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer

Comment

• Mars
              350 Buick
              • Apr 24, 2010

Originally posted by The PIG Smith
              That little S10 and its strong 4.3 gave a lot and asked so little.
              I cannot complain. My little 95 S-10 is the extended cab, 4.3L 5-speed 2wd.
              She's pushing 258k and still going strong! Original engine and trans. Bought her new in 95 and have not had much trouble with her since!

I'm thinking about what I want to do with the jeep. I still have not heard from Hoot so I assume he's hibernating under his rock again. No worries.

Classes start on the 7th of January and I should have the tuition refund end of febuary. That mean it's jeep time again.

I'm thinking I'll tackle a few things at once.

Here's my wish list feel free to offer alternatives and suggestions.

Intake:http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2131/10002/-1

Carb:http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-9...rentProductId=

Or would this be better? : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hl...457s/overview/

HEI:http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...40020/10002/-1

Cam: http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/SK68-232-4/10002/-1

Think this will work together? I'm looking for a mild warm up of the engine, any extra economy would be a bonus.
              Looking to eliminate the EGR and most of the ignition wiring and streamline the underhood mess to a bare minimum.
              Did I miss anything?

OR This? : http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-1002.htm
              That would add a fair amount of wiring and whatnot but eliminate the need for a carb and intake. Still go with HEI and if needed the cam/lifters/chain

This list is pending taking the heads off and having them checked at the machine shop. Barring any issues and getting a good hard look at the bores the plan may change.

Mike
              Last edited by Mars; 12-23-2012, 07:30 AM.
              Wannabe Fabricator
              Grumpy on a good day.

Comment

• Mars
                350 Buick
                • Apr 24, 2010

Quick question to the local guys:

Any of you have a decent razor grill? I have the buckets just shiny bits. And a hood bar.

Second question. Is it reasonably priced?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
                Wannabe Fabricator
                Grumpy on a good day.

Comment

• Mars
                  350 Buick
                  • Apr 24, 2010

I am no longer among the ranks of the disposessed..er unemployed

And I can already hear my jeep peeping in the corner like a baby bird wanting to be fed. So I'll be able to start digging deeper into the issue. I'm getting excited again!
                  Wannabe Fabricator
                  Grumpy on a good day.

Comment

• Strode
                    1st Chair, Cowbell
                    • Nov 08, 2011

I would not get the TA carb, unless you're going to spend most of your time off-road. From the Summit website:

This carburetor is designed for extreme off-road, off-angle use. Due to its design, it is not recommended for street driving or towing applications because rich conditions and poor fuel economy will be experienced.
                    I ordered one, and found that note inside the Holley packaging. I returned mine. Now Summit is putting it on the website. Jegs doesn't show that that info I can see.

Everything else looks good as far as I know. But I wouldn't do any of it unless you're doing a full, complete rebuild.
                    Last edited by Strode; 02-01-2013, 06:56 AM.
                    Brad
                    (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Mars
                      350 Buick
                      • Apr 24, 2010

Yeah I'll just get one of thoe 600cfm 4160's advance sells and roll with that. With my shop discount it's around 180 and some change.
                      Wannabe Fabricator
                      Grumpy on a good day.

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                        King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

I'm thinking about what I want to do with the jeep...
                        Here's my wish list feel free to offer alternatives and suggestions.
                        Did I miss anything?
                        It took me some time to think about what I wanting to say here, but I keep coming back to..
                        "WHOA! Slow down!"
                        As friendly and with brotherly love as I can say it, I would highly recommend before you start considering fuel injection, HEI, carbs and intakes...
                        ...to get it running first.

Why do I say that?
                        I've been here on this forum a long time.
                        It's embarrassing to go back and read some of the things I've asked and comments I've made.
                        So I know what it's like to be excited about a new project and thinking BIG!

I freely admit to being part dreamer and planning in a big way is the beginning of super kewl project.
                        I want a Cummins powered dually J20, the ultimate rescue/recovery/tow rig.
                        I have HUGE plans and have studied this project to the Nth degree.
                        In my minds eye, I've driven it cross county have hauled back to the rust belt a sweet red V8 powered AMC Hornet hatchback.
                        That J20's Cummins 6BT and Allison pulled like a freight train while just sipping $4/gal Diesel fuel.
                        For me, that project is so far down the road, that I just quit bothering folks with it and wearing them out with how great will be.
                        My present goal for 2013 is that I need to find a permanent place for my family, hopefully with a nice shop and then I will fire up dream machine again.

This list is pending taking the heads off and having them checked at the machine shop. Barring any issues and getting a good hard look at the bores the plan may change.
                        This is where I would focus my efforts to begin with.
                        ..or a used engine from HOOT if he has one for sell.

I'm thinking I'll tackle a few things at once.
                        I would not tackle a bunch of things at once.
                        That is a really bad idea.
                        Chances are that something will go wrong and you will not have any idea where to start troubleshooting the problem.
                        Do one thing at a time.

Upgrades/Modifications
                        First, I would set aside the idea of a multiple thousand dollar EFI for now.
                        Once you have it running and everything is cherry, then save the $$$ for that EFI

Next, personally, me, Bryan Smith, would not consider any HEI except from Bulltear, as Matt (or his staff) inspects each unit before they leave his shop.
                        One inspection I am aware of is to see if they will fit in an AMC timing chain cover properly.
                        Another check is the proper location for hole in the distributor shaft to match the drive gear. (for the little roll pin)
                        I think they also check to see how the end of the shaft fits into the oil pump drive.
                        Some Chinese made units bought for cheap off eBay have some serous issues.
                        You can read the horror stories here.
                        Next, if you buy an HEI from anyone, either reuse your existing match cam gear/dizzy gear or buy a new set from Bulltear.
                        Bulltear are the only folks that sell a matched set of cam/dizzy gears.
                        Other folks that claim to sell a matched set are either reselling Bulltear or not telling the truth.

Think this will work together? I'm looking for a mild warm up of the engine, any extra economy would be a bonus.
                        Looking to eliminate the EGR and most of the ignition wiring and streamline the underhood mess to a bare minimum.
                        This is a good idea and what I did to my J10 project.
                        A performer intake is a great idea.
                        About the carb, well, I would chat with Ristow to get his opinion of the best carb to purchase.
                        I know he does not favor any Edelbrock/Carter AFB models and he does not speak highly of Summit house brand.

Well...I will stop yammering here.
                        I hope this helps and you were able to take my comments in the spirit in which they were written.
                        Last edited by The PIG Smith; 02-08-2013, 12:58 PM.
                        Bryan Smith
                        1986 Jeep J20
                        1982 Jeep J10
                        1981 Jeep J20
                        1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer

Comment

• sld
                          327 Rambler
                          • Apr 04, 2006

Got my 600 CFM Holley with electric choke on ebay as a costumer return to Holley for under $200.
                          1981 WT Cherokee Chief /360/TF727/208/ Holley 600CFM/ Performer Intake/ Edelbrock headers/ Skip White HEI, switched dizzy gear. Patriot Side Pipes.

Comment

• Mars
                            350 Buick
                            • Apr 24, 2010

Bryan, I'm considering a lot of things, lack of funds has slowed me down tons. I do appreciate the advice and concern.

Here's what I know about the engine, doesnt smoke other than a little right at startup, so more than likely valve stem seals.

It has great compression, and doesnt knock. Even with a bent pushrod she was still pulling 60mph uphill in 3rd. Wasnt happy but did it. So I can say with some degree of confidence my bottom end is okay.

The Cam and all that jazz would be in the event of a wiped stock unit.

I do want to swap to a four barrel carb and intake to eliminate the EGR and the majority of the now unused vacuum and emmissions items. They are either missing or destroyed.

And in my mind it would be way simpler to got to a HEI,Non EGR,one wire alt setup. And with that simplicity comes the side benefit of making any issues that arise easier to diagnose.

In the event I would need to do the tear down... I would yank the heads and have a peek at the bores, and replace the head gaskets. If I saw an issue, then I would pull the engine and start to get it ready for the machine shop.

If no issues were found I would drop the pan and take a look at the bottom end. Most notably looking for any blueing or obvious heat/lube issues. I would even go so far as to pull off a couple caps and have a look at the crank. If didnt like what I saw I would pluck the engine and start to take it apart for the machine shop.

If I found no issues I would re-assemble and start the hop up. And more or less replace every gasket I could without plucking the engine.

I am still wanting an engine to start tinkering with more or less because I've never been into a AMC mill, and would rather garner some experience on a non critical engine.

That make a little more sense?

Updated parts list:
                            Edelbrock Performer Intake.
                            Holley 4160 Carb
                            Kickdown parts for the holley.
                            BJ's oil pump goodies

In the event of a bad cam:
                            Edelbrock Perfomer cam and lifter set.
                            Edelbrock Timing set.

Still debating:
                            HEI, brand not decided yet.
                            One wire Alt. Amperage and brand not decided.
                            Electric Fan
                            New water pump
                            Electric Fuel pump.
                            Wannabe Fabricator
                            Grumpy on a good day.

Comment

• OutrageGIS
                              258 I6
                              • Feb 26, 2011

Warm Weather

Hey Mike! Sorry to hear about the pushrod. I like your plans for a 4V (still running stock 2V on mine). If your bottom seems good, I'd throw in a new pushrod (if the cam/lifters are good) and run it while upgrading (those sweet bucket seats are calling your name...). Of course the danger is that it will be so much fun to drive that you never finish your planned upgrades. I did the one wire alternator and replaced the ground / supply cables from the battery. Instant charging system fix
                              79 Cherokee, 360, QT, Stocky

At Large Board Member, Central South-East Jurisdiction, Elijah Craig Chapter, Bluegrass Division, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Mars
                                350 Buick
                                • Apr 24, 2010

Kewl! I already fixed my charging system though. With the voltmeter swap.
                                But streamlining the system is my goal
                                Wannabe Fabricator
                                Grumpy on a good day.

Comment

Working...
                                X